Gencove

no, you skipped the part about sardinians actually being a part of that cluster #50 at gencove; the other south cluster is a wild mash up from bulgarians > sicilians so not sure what the artist is trying to tell us with that, but it could correspond to gedmatch gradient of west_med / east_med proportions in confirming it; there is no such thing as an/one italian cluster thus the calc-creators have to decide between the two main ones north_it/tuscan or south_it/sicilian it seems as if 23andme went for the latter yet myHeritage for the former; in toto diff calcs diff clusters, hence you have to look at the ref pops used in each cluster of each calc and academic papers/info will than explain/reveal the dynamics behind it;
dont know i dont score it, the sardinians are part of the 'southeastern';
it seems i lost the link, you have to go onto the FTDNA forum (or gedmatch?) and ask for a spreadsheet, i did that back in june maybe they still have it; there is also the 'LearningCenter' on FTDNA (but it is not the link)
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/user-guide/family-finder-myftdna/myorigins-population-clusters/

What happened to the fun-fact?

What happened to the fun-fact?

the myheritage results? anthrogenica is still down no link possible to the sikeliot posts, when it works again ill link it all; would make more sense in that way (with a link attached);

Anthrogenica was taken down by his post??????

I thought you said you got the information courtesy of him.

??? what ?
well he didnt give them to me he posted them public but yes courtesy of sikeliot you can find a lot of myHeritage results south italians and sicilians in that thread on anthrogenica; revealing a diff dynamic in this calc from other calcs despite same populations, now is that more fun with or without a link?

??? what ?
well he didnt give them to me he posted them public but yes courtesy of sikeliot you can find a lot of myHeritage results south italians and sicilians in that thread on anathrogenica; revealing a diff dynamic in this calc from other calcs despite same populations, now is that more fun with or without a link?

Well if you understand how these calculators are made, the centrum for what is "Italian" can be different from test to test. Myheritage claiming that one is more than another means absolutely nothing. Fun right?

Well if you understand how these calculators are made, the centrum for what is "Italian" can be different from test to test. Myheritage claiming that one is more than another means absolutely nothing. Fun right?

exactly, and exactly what i wrote #60; myHeritage (judging by the results/ but no link) defined their 'italian' based on the north_it/tuscan cluster hence that is what that means, and why so many south italians and sicilians do not score it in large amounts several in fact as dismal 10% and maybe now youll understand that all of those fun-facts would make so much more sense with the according link attached, but the link does not work;

exactly, and exactly what i wrote #60; myHeritage (judging by the results/ but no link) defined their 'italian' based on the north_it/tuscan cluster hence that is what that means, and why so many south italians and sicilians do not score it in large amounts several in fact as dismal 10% and maybe now youll understand that all of those fun-facts would make so much more sense with the according link attached, but the link does not work;

Probably better off not working, since its a garbage assessment.

10% that's a joke.

Probably better off not working, since its a garbage assessment.

10% that's a joke.

well now you have your answer as to why i omitted it, because there is no point in discussing numbers from a link that does not work meaning if you had the link yourself you could make your own assessment and when it works i will give you that link, basically just results sikeliot posted (i think he even created a spreadsheet);

DNA Land has its own Sardinian category that’s separate from northern Italy, Sicily, and Southwestern Europe. I’m curious as to what your DNA Land scores are?

I think K29 lacked a Northern Italian cluster because my Dad gets 27% South/Central European on DNA Land and 21% Italian on Myheritage, yet on K29 he gets Southwestern Europe instead.

Last edited:
@Pax,

It certainly is.

If people don't know enough by now to realize that everything depends on where the centrum is placed, i.e. a somewhat subjective decision, and that therefore judgments like who is more "Italian", or "French" or anything else shouldn't even be a topic of discussion, then they shouldn't be holding forth on matters genetic. The judgments of anyone who does that sort of thing should be automatically discounted both on that topic and anything else.

DNA Land has its own Sardinian category that’s separate from northern Italy, Sicily, and Southwestern Europe. I’m curious as to what your DNA Land scores are?

I think K29 lacked a Northern Italian cluster because my Dad gets 27% South/Central European on DNA Land and 21% Italian on Myheritage, yet on K29 he gets Southwestern Europe instead.

practically diffused between the two clusters east med(levantine) and west med(south europe)+ sardinian on their own;
S6pDcl3.jpg

at myHeritage i get ~33% italian and 7.9% greek and at K29 it is all 37% greek-albanian but these are two different calculators with different definitions and clusters and kurd explained that if you remove the cluster which has the most dominant allele sharing which was sardinian-siclian in k25 you will be assigned to the second most dominant obv greek-albanian k29;

PS: do you know what happened to anthrogenica? did get hacked again?

practically diffused between the two clusters east med(levantine) and west med(south europe)+ sardinian on their own;
View attachment 9559
at myHeritage i get ~33% italian and 7.9% greek and at K29 it is all 37% greek-albanian but these are two different calculators with different definitions and clusters and kurd explained that if you remove the cluster which has the most dominant allele sharing which was sardinian-siclian in k25 you will be assigned to the second most dominant obv greek-albanian k29;
PS: do you know what happened to anthrogenica? did get hacked again?
That’s interesting because you received almost an equal amount from all 4 regions in the Italian/Mediterranean area and 0% Southwestern. I’m starting to lean towards DNA Land being one of the more reputable calculators.

Interesting that your northern Italian got assigned to Greek on k29 and my dad’s northern Italian got assigned to Southwestern.

I have no idea about Anthrogenica. It’s just a blank white screen on my phone when I try to access the website.

Last edited:
That’s interesting because you received almost an equal amount from all 4 regions in the Italian/Mediterranean area and 0% Southwestern. I’m starting to lean towards DNA Land being one of the more reputable calculators.

Interesting that your northern Italian got assigned to Greek on k29 and my dad’s northern Italian got assigned to Southwestern.

I have no idea about Anthrogenica. It’s just a blank white screen on my phone when I try to access the website.

fully agree i think DNA.Land might even be the most detailed for south european ancestry yet the way i see it i do view all calcs (i tested with at least) as equal reputable; maybe its a shift between CHG/WHG which tilts the north_italian either side? though in my case it was first mostly assigned to sardinian-sicilian k25 and once the sardinians were removed it than got further assigned to greek-albanian k29 and in that regard i am seeing something like this haak et al 5way mixture EEF/EN based;
XYh0K7A.png

same here, anthrogenica is just blank though the activity stream reads an error code, not sure but i read in report that someones security software picked something up shortly before it blanked;

To throw in my two cents here, I had the impression that Gencove was trying to be better at detecting ancestry at the continental resolution. If you go through their website they have an affiliation with an effort to sequence more South Asians. So, they may be paring down the number of European components to allow more clusters elsewhere?

I actually took the plunge and submitted a sample for their own analysis. They are doing sparse sequencing as opposed to using the SNP specific chips. I'm curious to see the difference, but their low coverage sequencing hits way more bases on the DNA and Joe Pickrell makes what seems to me a good case for it (https://medium.com/the-seeq-blog/it...enotyping-arrays-with-sequencing-73535efa66ed). I guess I'll find out in late Jan if it makes any difference at all.

In the mean-time, here is what I got from Gencove for my 23andMe v4 data:

View attachment 9562

Aside from the Ashkenazi, which is nonesense and probably just a poorly chosen grouping, the rest is pretty consistent with what I have seen in other calculators and what I know of my ancestry.

As for the motivations of the big testing companies and the sometimes bizzaro advertisements they do, just consider this:

Ancestry is tied to the Mormons. They have an obsession with genealogy and genetic genealogy makes a lot of sense. Their end game is not figuring out your admixture. They want more people that can be linked together via DNA to build their massive family tree database even more.

23andMe: they just want your medical data because that is going to be hugely valuable to sell to pharma companies. After all, they sequence your genome for the health data regardless of whether you pay for it or not (fun fact, you can take their data and input it into other services such as promethease and get all the health data they would have sold you and more).

Can't speak to the motivation of the others, but I personally don't think the admixtures they give you are their real end goals.

(edited to clarify that result is from Gencove with my 23andMe data)

To throw in my two cents here, I had the impression that Gencove was trying to be better at detecting ancestry at the continental resolution. If you go through their website they have an affiliation with an effort to sequence more South Asians. So, they may be paring down the number of European components to allow more clusters elsewhere?

I actually took the plunge and submitted a sample for their own analysis. They are doing sparse sequencing as opposed to using the SNP specific chips. I'm curious to see the difference, but their low coverage sequencing hits way more bases on the DNA and Joe Pickrell makes what seems to me a good case for it (https://medium.com/the-seeq-blog/it...enotyping-arrays-with-sequencing-73535efa66ed). I guess I'll find out in late Jan if it makes any difference at all.

In the mean-time, here is what I got for my 23andMe v4 data:

View attachment 9562

Aside from the Ashkenazi, which is nonesense and probably just a poorly chosen grouping, the rest is pretty consistent with what I have seen in other calculators and what I know of my ancestry.

As for the motivations of the big testing companies and the sometimes bizzaro advertisements they do, just consider this:

Ancestry is tied to the Mormons. They have an obsession with genealogy and genetic genealogy makes a lot of sense. Their end game is not figuring out your admixture. They want more people that can be linked together via DNA to build their massive family tree database even more.

23andMe: they just want your medical data because that is going to be hugely valuable to sell to pharma companies. After all, they sequence your genome for the health data regardless of whether you pay for it or not (fun fact, you can take their data and input it into other services such as promethease and get all the health data they would have sold you and more).

Can't speak to the motivation of the others, but I personally don't think the admixtures they give you are their real end goals.

You linked to gencove data, not 23andme.

fully agree i think DNA.Land might even be the most detailed for south european ancestry yet the way i see it i do view all calcs (i tested with at least) as equal reputable; maybe its a shift between CHG/WHG which tilts the north_italian either side? though in my case it was first mostly assigned to sardinian-sicilian k25 and once the sardinians were removed it than got further assigned to greek-albanian k29 and in that regard i am seeing something like this haak et al 5way mixture EEF/EN based;
View attachment 9564

same here, anthrogenica is just blank though the activity stream reads an error code, not sure but i read in report that someones security software picked something up shortly before it blanked;

That’s really interesting that you say WHG vs CHG might make the difference. I never thought about looking at a sub component to see which way the major component might sway. Makes sense! We like to use labels and words to simplify our categorizations but really all components are multilayered.

Similar to when someone says that category is “Celtic” or “Germanic” or “Roman.” Really it means nothing because there is variation in each label and each label is multilayered.

You linked to gencove data, not 23andme.

That's right. I meant that this was Gencove's results using my 23andMe data. I won't have the results from Gencove's sequencing for about another month. I'll post that once I have it.

That's right. I meant that this was Gencove's results using my 23andMe data. I won't have the results from Gencove's sequencing for about another month. I'll post that once I have it.

Great. That will be interesting to see.

DNA land are one of the only ones that confirmed a relative of which I have communicated many times and have linked between each of our family trees at about year 1780
Name:
Anna Bolzan
7 cousin
25 shared segments
137.14 Total shared length
BTW, can we load more kits through DNAland now?

My wife also confirmed a cousin via DNaland and family trees

Name:
Guy Barbato

11 cousin

17 shared segments

71.44 Total shared length

This thread has been viewed 60740 times.

Back