Gencove

my Gencove
37% Eastern Mediterranean
37% Northern and Central Europe
23% Southwestern Europe
I have never had more than 2% iberian on any company.........but have had a high percentage of French-basque from many companies ............maybe my 23% SW Europe is that they used all the border people of Spain and France as iberians
Big oops ....I stuffed up, I only uploaded my fathers data to Gencove and above is his.
I uploaded to get the free prometheuse report which arrived yesterday..........his ills and blood type match the results and he had issues with these but did not pass away due to them.
My father did have SW Europe and had matches with an area covering Girona and Perpignan , he also had many matches with Toulouse and Montpellier areas due to relatives moving there between 1875 and 1920

my results. Seems pretty descent.

Fathers results

@Angela

#533 K25 sardinian-sicilian and why sardinians were removed from that cluster in K29
https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?12817-New-K25-Admixture-Calculator-at-GenePlaza-com/page54
It seems that the enhanced drift In Sardinians, Who are part of the SC European references in the K 25 is suppressing South Central European scores in European testers

Although isolation of the Sardinians is a good thing in terms of preserving South Central European substructure for the past few thousand years and thus they can be seen as genetically unchanged
representatives of south-central Europeans as they were a few thousand years ago while populations around them in mainland Europe were constantly changing. This is what makes them more “pure” south-central Europeans than other populations in my view, and was one of the main reasons for their inclusion into my K 25 SC European component, and this is definitely a pro .

The con for their inclusion is that there enhanced genetic drift due to isolation is suppressing South Central European scores in testers some

So far we have seen with testers is that some west Asians and a few select Europeans ( mainly Italians) have the highest South Central European scores, an indicator that those testers share the highest drift with south-central Europe’s original inhabitants

The problem is that this is creating a little confusion for some testers who are used to seeing more elevated South Central European scores and other tests.

At This point I am still considering the pros versus the cons of including Sardinians in the south central European component and will make an announcement when I reach a decision

@ Jovialis p.66#655
https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?9093-MyHeritage-DNA/page66

Alex, ignore everything sikeliot posts.

My wife is half Italian (Naples and Northern Italy). Here are her Southern Europe scores from various companies:

23andMe:
Italian: 32.5%
Iberian: 5.2%
Broadly Southern: 8.9%

DNA Land:
South/Central European: 33%
Southwestern European: 4.6%

FTDNA:
Iberian: 32%
Southeastern Europe: 14%
Sephardic: 14%

Is the FTDNA algorithm really that off or does this mean it’s just really hard to differentiate Southern European alleles?

My wife is half Italian (Naples and Northern Italy). Here are her Southern Europe scores from various companies:

23andMe:
Italian: 32.5%
Iberian: 5.2%
Broadly Southern: 8.9%

DNA Land:
South/Central European: 33%
Southwestern European: 4.6%

FTDNA:
Iberian: 32%
Southeastern Europe: 14%
Sephardic: 14%

Is the FTDNA algorithm really that off or does this mean it’s just really hard to differentiate Southern European alleles?
How did 32-33 percent Italian turn into 32 percent Iberian? Yeah FTDNA isn't looking any better. Plus the questionable 14 percent Sephardic....

How did 32-33 percent Italian turn into 32 percent Iberian? Yeah FTDNA isn't looking any better. Plus the questionable 14 percent Sephardic....

The map for Sephardic is the Iberian Peninsula. So my half British/ half Italian wife is 46% Iberian Map according to FTDNA.

@Angela

#533 K25 sardinian-sicilian and why sardinians were removed from that cluster in K29
https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?12817-New-K25-Admixture-Calculator-at-GenePlaza-com/page54
It seems that the enhanced drift In Sardinians, Who are part of the SC European references in the K 25 is suppressing South Central European scores in European testers

Although isolation of the Sardinians is a good thing in terms of preserving South Central European substructure for the past few thousand years and thus they can be seen as genetically unchanged
representatives of south-central Europeans as they were a few thousand years ago while populations around them in mainland Europe were constantly changing. This is what makes them more “pure” south-central Europeans than other populations in my view, and was one of the main reasons for their inclusion into my K 25 SC European component, and this is definitely a pro .

The con for their inclusion is that there enhanced genetic drift due to isolation is suppressing South Central European scores in testers some

So far we have seen with testers is that some west Asians and a few select Europeans ( mainly Italians) have the highest South Central European scores, an indicator that those testers share the highest drift with south-central Europe’s original inhabitants

The problem is that this is creating a little confusion for some testers who are used to seeing more elevated South Central European scores and other tests.

At This point I am still considering the pros versus the cons of including Sardinians in the south central European component and will make an announcement when I reach a decision

@ Jovialis p.66#655
https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?9093-MyHeritage-DNA/page66

I don’t think removing the Sardinians helped the South Central Europeans at all for K29 because Sicily alone is not a good proxy. Central or Northern Italian samples might have been better. My dads 27% South Central on DNA Land became all Southwestern on k29.

The map for Sephardic is the Iberian Peninsula. So my half British/ half Italian wife is 46% Iberian Map according to FTDNA.
It's only highlighted to show where Sephardic Jews heavily settled, the Iberian peninsula. It wouldn't be reasonable to highlight anyplace else, and to add, Sephardic Jews aren't Iberian genetically.

Being 1/4 from Naples with the rest being 1/4 north Italian and 1/2 British shouldn't make you 46 percent Iberian, from what I can tell.

If there's no Southern Central component centered on Italy, everything else is going to be off. You can't just have SW and SE Europe.

Tuscany seems the logical choice: Northern Italy is too Northern and Southern Italy/Sicily too Southern. There's a reason 1000 Genomes chose them as the reference for the Central Med.

Until this calculator has such a cluster it will be useless for Italians or even for Balkans people. Having Tuscany as the reference would make clear the genetic relationship that we see with the Balkans from PCAs.

I said from the beginning that it was clear that Sardinians are far too drifted to be used. Sicilians as a reference isn't all that much better.

I'm sorry to say it but I'm very disappointed in this calculator.

gencove UPDATE! 01/2018 with new clusters

FTDNAb_37_concatenated / FTDNAb_37_autos
OR6Bph6.jpg BmhDQQ2.jpg

I'm pleased that a specific cluster has been inserted for Northern Italy. But now my results diverge considerably from the previous ones
5c5e50f8480b45909219c2f505f5c826.jpg

Inviato dal mio SM-A300FU utilizzando Tapatalk

I'm pleased that a specific cluster has been inserted for Northern Italy. But now my results diverge considerably from the previous ones
5c5e50f8480b45909219c2f505f5c826.jpg

Inviato dal mio SM-A300FU utilizzando Tapatalk

I'm about to give up on all of these things except 23and me. How does that make any sense for someone 100 per cent from the Romagna?

mine upgraded yesterday.

starting to get closer to yfull data which has my snp dated as 1460BC.
Yfull matches for me relating to this gencove data
1x Hessian germany
3x walloon and lorraine france ...........these could be close relatives to each other
1x south tyrol italy
1x spain Pyrenees area Mediterranean side
note: central asia is 1% ..........other sites have me as 0.8% for it

How did you people get your maps to post?

For what it's worth:

• 57%Northern Italy
  • 29%Southwestern Europe
  • 7%Northern and Central Europe
  • 7%Anatolia, Caucasus, Iranian Plateau

It's not bad, but if I didn't know my identity, this wouldn't tell me. The Northern Europe numbers go down, and the Anatolia, Caucasus shows up. Have no idea what that means.

23andme:

93% Eastern Mediterranean
7% South-West Europe

AncestryDNA:

78% Eastern Mediterranean
22% South-West European

How did you people get your maps to post?

For what it's worth:

• 57%Northern Italy
  • 29%Southwestern Europe
  • 7%Northern and Central Europe
  • 7%Anatolia, Caucasus, Iranian Plateau

It's not bad, but if I didn't know my identity, this wouldn't tell me. The Northern Europe numbers go down, and the Anatolia, Caucasus shows up. Have no idea what that means.

i use postimage , its free as long as you do not go overboard

snip map, save, upload on postimage

23andme:

93% Eastern Mediterranean
7% South-West Europe

AncestryDNA:

78% Eastern Mediterranean
22% South-West European

Here's a blogpost from someone else who got results all over the place:

https://gizmodo.com/how-dna-testing-botched-my-familys-heritage-and-probab-1820932637

"The CEO of GenCove, the company where I had uploaded my 23andMe data to get drastically different results, told me that even though he expects a fair amount of variability between algorithms, even he was surprised at how differently his company and 23andMe had interpreted my DNA data. He asked me to also upload my Ancestry data, and ran both data sets again after GenCove’s algorithm had been updated. The results were all over the map.“To be honest I’m a little confused about what’s going on,” CEO Joseph Pickrell told me.

Each testing company is looking at different alleles from different parts of the genome, and using different algorithms to crunch that data. (You can see a list of how company tests differ here.) It’s worth mentioning that genetics is also probabilistic: just because you have the gene, doesn’t mean you have the trait."

I don't understand your high SW Euro from one company. In my case, we're right next door, and we have some "Spanish" and "French" yDna.

One thing is consistent, almost no one ever gets "Italian" scores higher than mine. My father, old school nationalist that he was, would be very happy. :)

Here's a blogpost from someone else who got results all over the place:

https://gizmodo.com/how-dna-testing-botched-my-familys-heritage-and-probab-1820932637

"The CEO of GenCove, the company where I had uploaded my 23andMe data to get drastically different results, told me that even though he expects a fair amount of variability between algorithms, even he was surprised at how differently his company and 23andMe had interpreted my DNA data. He asked me to also upload my Ancestry data, and ran both data sets again after GenCove’s algorithm had been updated. The results were all over the map.“To be honest I’m a little confused about what’s going on,” CEO Joseph Pickrell told me.

Each testing company is looking at different alleles from different parts of the genome, and using different algorithms to crunch that data. (You can see a list of how company tests differ here.) It’s worth mentioning that genetics is also probabilistic: just because you have the gene, doesn’t mean you have the trait."

I don't understand your high SW Euro from one company. In my case, we're right next door, and we have some "Spanish" and "French" yDna.

One thing is consistent, almost no one ever gets "Italian" scores higher than mine. My father, old school nationalist that he was, would be very happy. :)

I usually score Italian in every calc in some form or another. 14 Italian over all with LivingDNA. I wonder what is so off with their algorithm?

In AncestryDNA for instance, their main site has be as 84% Albania/Greece/Turkey, 15% North-East Italy/Croatia/Bosnia and 1% Finnish(LOL). I am surprised by the huge South-West Euro for the Ancestry upload. My Fathers by comparison(with 23andme) is 88% Eastern Mediterranean and 12% South-West European.

Someone mentioned people with Sardinian like admixtures are scoring South-West Europe in Gencove. It would make sense, since theres an obvious(for whatever reason) shift towards Sardinia for my father and myself.

This thread has been viewed 61005 times.

Back