Gencove

Carl Graham

Reaction score
Has anybody else tried Gencove yet ? To me it seems consistent with most other reports from most other companies.Maybe a tiny bit less southern European and a tiny bit more Scandinavian would be more in line with the average result , but I really can't quibble.

gencove.jpg

Has anybody else tried Gencove yet ? To me it seems consistent with most other reports from most other companies.Maybe a tiny bit less southern European and a tiny bit more Scandinavian would be more in line with the average result , but I really can't quibble.

View attachment 9268

Is it a 3rd party tool or a full testing company? Is this all they provide?

Eastern Mediterranean
Reference populations: Malta, Sicily, Cyprus, Greece, Albania, and Bulgaria.

Southwestern Europe
Reference populations: Southern French, Spanish, Basque, and Sardinian.

My Results:

23andme:

gen23.jpg

Ancestry:

genan.jpg

My Father:

genr.jpg

my results { close to dna land not so much like my origins and my heritage}
that detacted 9-11% slavic genes and 0% here ....
View attachment 9277

my results
33% aschenazi
23% south west Europe
12% east med
17% middle eastern
8% Anatolia Caucasus Iran
8% central India

Last edited:
Done. Even though some of my friends have detected different values ​​after having uploaded their raw dates several times (me too)
9e7838c2d0c60ffa7cbea5e469238c8b.jpg

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Eupedia Forum mobile app

I done it as well, but the info I got. But it does look a bit off however, but that could be me

gencove2.jpg

I knew I shouldn't have used a calculator based on modern samples again. I hate to say it, because Joe Pickrell is a reputable person, but if someone was adopted and wanted to know their ethnicity, they certainly wouldn't learn it from here. Sorry.

Southwestern European 74%
Eastern Med (Sicily, Malta, Greece, Albania, Bulgaria) 8%
Caucasus 8%
Ashkenazi 2%

Again, I have tested with 23andme and I don't have one single instance of IBD sharing with Ashkenazim or Jews of any variety, not even those who are half, last I checked, unless the other half is Italian. So, wrong.

I only share 8% with Sicilians, Greeks, Albanians, Bulgarians? If there are no Italian reference samples, as in some of Kurd's runs, I come out as either Albanian or Bulgarian. Also, on some Oracle runs, the Greeks and Albanians show up before the Sicilians, although my first scorers are always the northern Italian and Tuscan ones. The Piemontese/Emilian/Ligurian one always comes in first if that's included. Plus, why would someone have a cluster where Albania and Bulgaria are called Eastern Med? Are they picking up what Kurd called, in the ancient samples, the eastern farmers? However, I get 28% of that, not 8%.

The 8% Caucasus might make sense as "additional" Caucasus if they're placing the centrum for both central (i.e. Italians) and southwestern Southern Europeans in southern France and Iberia. According to the comparison with ancient samples in geneplaza I have rather high steppe for an Italian, probably higher than Iberians, and definitely higher than the southern French sample.

I mean, I know I've said there is probably a lot of overlap between the southern French and northwestern Italians, and I certainly have gotten a lot of matches on Oracle with Spaniards, but 74%? I don't know, maybe, I guess.

I think I'll stick with comparisons to ancient samples.

Ed. Also 8% northern and central Europe.

Last edited:
angela you score high south west Europe here
because even though it is the same algorithm as DNA land
here the is no south /central european cluster like in dna land{ reference bergamo Tuscany}
so many of your north central Italian genes go to the south west european category
in my opinion it is just a bad version of DNA land same algorithm just less references
and very different from my origins 2.0 and my heritage algorithm
kind regards
adam

angela you score high south west Europe here
because even though it is the same algorithm as DNA land
here the is no south /central european cluster like in dna land{ reference bergamo Tuscany}
so many of your north central Italian genes go to the south west european category
in my opinion it is just a bad version of DNA land same algorithm just less references
and very different from my origins 2.0 and my heritage algorithm
kind regards
adam

Yes indeed king John! Theres is also not a kind of northwest cluster. DNA Land has got a Northwest cluster, my score on that cluster 91%. But on gencove, because it has no NW cluster it spreads some more:

vgrrnn7tfofhh.png

Maybe they have to finetune more?

What a stupid and pointless test. It's like a bad version of calculators that have already been around for years now; its like a failed attempt to reinvent the wheel.

Never heard of joe pacarel

Angela's scores add up to 92 percent....

Davef is correct. The box doesn't scroll down correctly. I had to click on the geographic circles. I have 8% northern and central Europe. I'll correct the post.

Makes sense! ^^

Eastern Mediterranean

I have no idea why these are in the same boat.

Makes sense! ^^

Eastern Mediterranean

I have no idea why these are in the same boat.

Now that I've thought about it more, it's probably shared more heavily "eastern" farmer ancestry versus "western" farmer (actually, probably Iberian Chalcolithic) ancestry). That's why I only get 8% "Eastern Med" (to Northener's 6%, for example), compared to my much, much higher "Western Med" score.

It's certainly has nothing to do with "Middle Eastern", or "Levantine", or "Arabic",which has it's own cluster, as does Caucasus like.

I know, it covers south Italy, balkans, Sicily, the Aegean, and parts of turkey.
But why are you getting 74 percent southwestern here and only 39 percent western farmer from Kurd's calculator? That's a huge discrepancy.

I know, it covers south Italy, balkans, Sicily, the Aegean, and parts of turkey.
But why are you getting 74 percent southwestern here and only 39 percent western farmer from Kurd's calculator? That's a huge discrepancy.

You can't compare these two tests exactly one to one. These are modern clusters, and Kurd's are ancient samples. All of these modern clusters are going to have Yamnaya (with CHG/Iran Neo in it), plus any additional WHG, as well as early Neolithic farmer. All modern Europeans are a mix of those groups. It's just that the proportions are going to be different. The "Eastern Med" just probably contains a lot more eastern farmer, less Yamnaya, and less WHG as we know from other analyses is the case.

As was pointed out above, if there were a south/central cluster here (based on Northern Italy/Tuscany) as there is on some other tests, I wouldn't get so much southwestern.

This isn't wrong, it's just a different way of looking at things. However, I don't think it's very useful for newbies who don't know their ancestry specifically, or who aren't quite sophisticated in their understanding of population genetics. They're just going to get confused.

Last edited:
Here are my ethnic Polish results in Gencove, DNA.Land, GenePlaza and DNA Tribes:

DNA.Land:

55% North Slavic
36% NW Euro
8.2% Balkan
1.3% SC Euro

GenePlaza:

58% North Slavic
29% NW Euro
6.2% SW Euro
5% Mediterranean
1.4% Ambiguous

Gencove:

54% NE Euro
39% N/C Euro
5% East Med
4% SW Euro

DNA.Tribes:

48.2% Belarus
35.8% Denmark
9.8% Slovenia
5.5% Sweden
0.6% Lithuania
0.1% Other

And I can tell you that these algorithms are probably biased, because it seems that they overestimate North-West European admixtures and underestimate North-East European admixtures. Probably they count too much of Central European genetic variation as part of NW cluster, and not enough of it as part of NE cluster. They do this so that their British or Irish customers can get ~100% North-West, and avoid getting North-East.

One example of a British-American result - 98% NW Euro:

genocove_zps5159wqvf.png

Albanians tend to get 100% Eastern Mediterranean and no any Slavic.

And where is my 5% from? Ancient Albanian migrations to Poland?

My results:

Mc8S0T3.png

This thread has been viewed 60741 times.

Back