Blood types in ancient Europe

There is also the ABO incompatibility, generally with mild effects: http://www.pregnancy.com.au/resourc...stnatal/abo-incompatibility-in-newborns.shtml
It happens when the mother has O blood type and the baby has either A or B.
I'm A+. Parents are both A+ in phenotype and AO in genotype.

Dibran, your type doesn't make sense to me, and it could be that my understanding of blood type is faulty. The way type inheritance was explained to me was that both parents carry two types. For instance my dad was O so both of his parents had to be O
In fact, his parents could be A or B or O in phenotype and AO or BO or OO in genotype.
images

and he could only give me an O.
That's correct.

There is also the ABO incompatibility, generally with mild effects: http://www.pregnancy.com.au/resourc...stnatal/abo-incompatibility-in-newborns.shtml
It happens when the mother has O blood type and the baby has either A or B.
I'm A+. Parents are both A+ in phenotype and AO in genotype.

In fact, his parents could be A or B or O in phenotype and AO or BO or OO in genotype.
images

That's correct.

Would there be any issue with the child if the man is A and the woman is O?

Interesting, Regio X. With my first son (O+), I was given Rhogam after his birth. He had no jaundice effects and was a full term baby.

Second son was very jaundiced (O-), didn't see Rhogam on the hospital bill but remember that I was instructed to let him lay in sunlight with no clothes each time I changed his diaper, for about 10 minutes. The jaundice did slowly go away. I had to have amnio twice with his pregnancy, to check lung gases, to make sure his lungs were mature enough to be born (by c-section). The first time he was not, the second time, he was not quite, but scheduled for delivery the following week.

There could be any problem when father is + and mother - (the letter never mind)

Interesting, Regio X. With my first son (O+), I was given Rhogam after his birth. He had no jaundice effects and was a full term baby.
Second son was very jaundiced (O-), didn't see Rhogam on the hospital bill but remember that I was instructed to let him lay in sunlight with no clothes each time I changed his diaper, for about 10 minutes. The jaundice did slowly go away. I had to have amnio twice with his pregnancy, to check lung gases, to make sure his lungs were mature enough to be born (by c-section). The first time he was not, the second time, he was not quite, but scheduled for delivery the following week.
With regard to the ABO incompatibility, if the man is AA and the woman is OO, the child "will be" AO in genotype and A in phenotype. If he is AO and she is OO, then the child could be either AO or OO. If the child is AO and the mother is O, the ABO incompatibility may or may not occur. If it occurs, it could take light effects (mild jaundice) or more severe effects (intense jaundice), i.e., the level of bilirubin could go up a lot (less common) or not too much (more common). If too much, the level should be controlled either by phototerapy or – in severe cases – exsanguinous transfusion, ‘cause the high bilirubin level in newborns can impair the brain permanently.
Sunbath is the “treatment” when the child leave the hospital (see Wheal’s post).

Last edited:
Very interesting. Thanks for posting, Tomenable.

The role of Rh+ is still unclear but it has been linked to protection against toxoplasmosis (passed on by cats). So cat lovers had better be Rh+.

Apparently the B blood type (anti-B antibodies) offers better protection against gram-negative bacteria like E. coli, Salmonella, Chlamydia, Vibrio cholerae (cholera) and Yersinia pestis (plague). The B type is most common in South Asia (40% in India) and Southeast Asia (37% in Thailand). Not surprising as these are regions festering with nasty bacteria.

AB confers the most resistance against cholera. The AB type is most common in Korea (11%), Japan (10%) and South Asia, followed by the northern Middle East and central-eastern Europe.

The A type might be more efficient at fighting off influenza. A+ individuals are the most likely to to survive plague, but also more likely to develop cancer of the esophagus, pancreas, and stomach. A is most common in Nordic and German-speaking countries, Bulgaria, Turkey, Cyprus, Portugal and Papua New Guinea. Bouts of flu are indeed more common in colder Germanic countries.

The O type is protective against cardiovascular diseases and many types of cancer. O is most common in Latin America and Mongolia. In Europe it peaks in Iceland and Ireland (55%), then Britain (44%), the Low countries (46%), Spain (45%), Italy (46%) and Greece (44%).

More details in this thread.

I prefer to look at regions rather than nations. For example: The "Walsers" (Rhone Valley residents) seem to top the European list with 60% blood type O frequencies. Basques are around 51%. When it comes to Britain, things are also highly regional as you can see here:
northernireland.jpg
The Rhone Valley residents also have Basque-like frequencies of rh negative blood.
As for blood type AB: I have found a study of ancient Hebrews quite interesting where more than half of the 55 specimens examined turned out to be blood type AB:
http://www.rhesusnegative.net/staynegative/blood-types-ancient-hebrews/

Rhesus:

Rh- was common in both Proto-Indo-Europeans and hunter-gatherers, but not in Neolithic farmers:

http://mathii.github.io/2017/09/21/blood-groups-in-ancient-europe

"(...) It turns out that the O allele is at high frequency in hunter-gatherers, but relatively rare on the Steppe. The B allele seems to be absent in both hunter-gatherers and early farmers, and seems to be introduced from the steppe in the Bronze Age. The Rh- allele seems to be relatively common in hunter-gatherers and, particularly, in steppe populations, and relatively rare in early farmers, partly confirming Haldane and Cavalli-Sforza’s hypotheses. Allele frequency estimates are in the figures below (bars show 95% binomial confidence intervals). (...)"

"(...) If we compute expected phenotypic frequencies, this suggests that around around 65% of Mesolithic hunter-gatherers would have been type O, compared to around 40% in present-day Europeans, and around 40% of Steppe-ancestry individuals would have been Rh-, compared to around 24% of hunter-gatherers, 4% of early farmers, and about 16% of present-day Europeans. (...)"

This is from Ian Mathieson:

https://twitter.com/mathiesoniain/status/911001882063142913

RHD_Phenotype_frequencies.jpg

Rh blood groups in modern Europe (look at this high frequency of Rh- in Ukraine):

This maps shows frequencies of Rh+ (and low frequency of Rh+ = high of Rh-):

kiszely-grupa-krwi-d.jpg

ABO:

Blood O is the most indigenous, blood B appears only after Indo-European invasions:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/suppl/2017/09/19/135616.DC4/135616-1.pdf

From pages 53-54:

"We estimated allele frequencies at three markers that largely determine ABO blood group.14
The 1-base deletion rs8176719 that is the most common type O mutation is at high frequency
in hunter-gatherers. Combining all hunter-gatherer populations, we estimate the frequency of
the O allele to be 84% (95% CI: 76-89%), which implies that the frequency of the type O
phenotype which requires homozygosity for the O allele was 71%. This is significantly higher
than the O allele frequency in present-day Europeans (60-65% in 1000 Genomes populations,
with corresponding phenotype frequency ~40%). We do not detect the B allele (rs8176746 and rs8176747) in any hunter-gatherers suggesting that all other individuals were type A. In fact, the B allele is not seen in any Neolithic populations either, and is introduced into Europe by Steppe populations who we estimate carry it at ~8% frequency."

========

Indo-Europeans introduced B, but A was still much more common among them. On the other hand, O was relatively rare among them, and more commong among WHG hunters and EEF farmers.

This map shows the modern distribution of A allele in Europe:

kiszely-grupa-krwi-a.jpg

O is the least Indo-European, associated with WHG and EEF:

kiszely-grupa-krwi-0.jpg

Finally, modern frequencies of B allele in Western Eurasia:

molnar-grupa-krwi-b.jpg

The high frequencies of rh negatives back then in pockets of Sardinia and Lappland are interesting and not surprising though today the frequencies tend to be quite low. I have recently looked into frequencies of rh negatives amongst individuals with haplogroup V and the results of rh negatives there were quite high. I am curious if you have any type of explanation of your own for this.

How do you determine where the negative comes from? Is it the male?

My distant ancestors (female or male) must have a negative blood type and now I have it myself.

Nothing special except that I am above average smart and handsome.

My distant ancestors (female or male) must have a negative blood type and now I have it myself.

Nothing special except that I am above average smart and handsome.

LOL, Me too, AB -

Being AB- seems you could receive any blood type for a first time, then you could create antibodys

Being AB- seems you could receive any blood type for a first time, then you could create antibodys
True if you have never been in contact with rh positive blood. But be careful: If your mother is rh positive, blood could have mixed while you were in the womb causing you to be born with the antibodies.

If I could born with antibodies in the test would leave positive, isn't it? so I think I haven't any antibody

You could be right. Mine was guesstimated from those raw data apps. So it could be mostly wrong. My mom says shes O- as far as she recalls from her last bloodwork. If I am AB- then I presume(assuming you got the right idea) that one is A the other B? I just know my moms Rh- for sure and my father Rh+. My moms womb did not reject me as is the case with Rh- women. So I assume I am Rh- given that my 2 sisters who also had a normal birth are Rh-. my mother needed some type of medication to keep her body from attacking my other 2 siblings who are Rh+ like my father. Is the raw data conversion app for eye color hair, and bloodtype accurate? If so, I imagine the prediction is correct.
Most data is outdated. First of all, if you are the firstborn, it could be that you are also Rh+ but since your mother hasn't carried antibodies yet, her pregnancy with you turned out well without the shot.
As for the AB- question: Your mom could easily be type O if your father is cisAB meaning the A and B alleles being encoded into one allele.

Rh blood groups in modern Europe (look at this high frequency of Rh- in Ukraine):

This maps shows frequencies of Rh+ (and low frequency of Rh+ = high of Rh-):

kiszely-grupa-krwi-d.jpg

Interesting. But I am confused about the timeline. "Modern humans" as in today? I have never seen an official study regarding the Ukraine except the Wikipedia claim of around 14% rh negatives:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_distribution_by_country
According to the map part of Basque country has 50-55% rh negatives. I wouldn't be surprised if there were small communities like that, but have also yet to see an official study on it.

This thread has been viewed 45371 times.

Back