Psychopaths have a distinct preference for rap music

I got 33%. It's probably accurate as far as I'm concerned, but I have next to no confidence in these kinds of tests to draw conclusions about people in general. People could take the test multiple times, could play games with it, etc.

Interesting that lovers of jazz are the least likely to be psychopaths according to them. They should have had more music choices, however. Also interesting that kitten lovers are the least. :)

I got 33%. It's probably accurate as far as I'm concerned, but I have next to no confidence in these kinds of tests to draw conclusions about people in general.

Neither do I.

I'm the most psychotic one here. :(

I think description I got was accurate though. However, I feel I can be very empathetic; unless someone tries to harm me, or I sense they are duplicitous. Though this is not in my nature, but a trait I've acquired throughout my teenage years and 20s from dealing with some bad people. Even then, its hard for me to hold a grudge. Sometimes, I need to resist the urge to forgive people that have continuously wronged me in the past.

oh yeah I am the one

''I scored 52% in the @channel4 psychopathic traits test.''

oh boy,

Isaak newton 61!!!!!!

oh yeah I am the one

''I scored 52% in the @channel4 psychopathic traits test.''

oh boy,

Isaak newton 61!!!!!!

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-pros-to-being-a-psychopath-96723962/
When most of us hear the word “psychopath,” we imagine Hannibal Lecter. Kevin Dutton would prefer that we think of brain surgeons, CEOs and Buddhist monks. In his new book, The Wisdom of Psychopaths: What Saints, Spies and Serial Killers Can Teach Us About Success, the Oxford research psychologist argues that psychopathic personality traits—charm, confidence, ruthlessness, coolness under pressure—can, in the right doses, be a good thing. Not all psychopaths are violent, he says, and some of them are just the sort of people society can count on in a crisis.

When psychologists talk about psychopaths, what we’re referring to are people who have a distinct set of personality characteristics, which include things like ruthlessness, fearlessness, mental toughness, charm, persuasiveness and a lack of conscience and empathy. Imagine that you tick the box for all of those characteristics. You also happen to be violent and stupid. It’s not going to be long before you smack a bottle over someone’s head in a bar and get locked up for a long time in prison. But if you tick the box for all of those characteristics, and you happen to be intelligent and not naturally violent, then it’s a different story altogether. Then you’re more likely to make a killing in the market rather than anywhere else.

Psychopaths are assertive. Psychopaths don’t procrastinate. Psychopaths tend to focus on the positive. Psychopaths don’t take things personally; they don’t beat themselves up if things go wrong, even if they’re to blame. And they’re pretty cool under pressure. Those kinds of characteristics aren’t just important in the business arena, but also in everyday life.
The key here is keeping it in context. Let’s think of psychopathic traits—ruthlessness, toughness, charm, focus—as the dials on a [recording] studio deck. If you were to turn all of those dials up to max, then you’re going to overload the circuit. You’re going to wind up getting 30 years inside or the electric chair or something like that. But if you have some of them up high and some of them down low, depending on the context, in certain endeavors, certain professions, you are going to be predisposed to great success. The key is to be able to turn them back down again.

I ran a survey in 2011, “The Great British Psychopath Survey,” in which I got people to fill out a questionnaire online to find out how psychopathic they were. I also got people to enter their occupations, what they did for a living, and how much money they earned over the course of a year. We found a whole range of professions cropping up—no serial killers among them, although no one would admit to it. The results made very interesting reading, especially if you’re partial to a sermon or two on a Sunday, because the clergy cropped up there at number eight. You had the usual suspects at the top; you had your CEOs, lawyers, media—TV and radio. Journalists were a bit down the list. We also had civil servants. There were several police officers, actually, so as opposed to being criminals, some psychopaths are actually out there locking other people up. Any situation where you’ve a got a power structure, a hierarchy, the ability to manipulate or wield control over people, you get psychopaths doing very well.

One important take away from the couple of Psychology classes I took in college was that everyone has shades of these mental disorders. Which is what ultimately shapes our personalities. With it, there are certain advantageous traits that could be applied in modern society. This article goes on to explain that some psychotic traits can allow you be to be quite successful both professionally and socially. However if the person also happens to be stupid, these traits would ultimately get them in trouble. The big difference is intelligence and managing aggression. As the article explains, not only are some of the inmates psychos; so are some of the people that lock them up. The difference is the ones that became police officers are able to hone those traits to their advantage. The same could be said for other occupations that require you to make tough decisions and act ruthlessly, where others may be inhibited.

"Kevin Dutton, a psychologist at Oxford, and the author of The Wisdom of Psychopaths, has been gathering data on musical tastes and other preferences for a psychopath study with Channel 4. More than three million people have responded so far, and while online surveys have serious weaknesses, the results so far suggest psychopaths favour rap music over classical and jazz.". Note that Channel 4 is one of the main British TV channels.

The Smithsonianmag article I linked is an interview with Kevin Dutton.

What type of music did they prefer before there was rap?

Since anger and violence is so much a part of rap, perhaps in much earlier times it was war songs? Not, of course, that most or many soldiers are psychopaths. Did pirates have their own songs? I would think so, and I would also think this might have been an attractive career choice, more than being a weaver, for example. :)

Also, I think we should emphasize that human psychiatric traits are always on a continuum. Real psychopaths are relatively rare.

This is a different scaling system than the one we've been discussing, but interesting in this regard.

5.5percent-of-people-score-higher-than-30-on-psychopathy-test.png

I think modern society, and modern way of living push psychopath to persons

some heroes like him

Iron_Man_bleeding_edge.jpg

or some anti-heroes etc etc

or even a psychopath hero to face the bad psychopath guys

judge-dread-demotivational-poster-1251494477.jpg

come on, most of our modern heroes are psychopaths

latest

our rules, presidents, ministers etc are psychopaths

latest

I scored 48 percent likely bc I answered "agree" to questions asking if I'd do something cool like ride a motorcycle...so what? I'm more of a psychopath because I'm not boring or lame/dorky enough? Should I give up listening to metal and take up gardening, cut off my testosterone supply, gain fat, lose muscle, look up tuna salad recipes, and bake cookies for the neighbors? Screw that. I scored high because I'm not boring enough (btw I'm not saying that those who scored lower are more boring than myself-this includes anyone who scored 30 percent or lower. This test is only 11 questions long and isn't comprehensive imo).

my high score tells me that I'm still a buck with plenty of testosterone floating around ;)

27%, I listen to Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Punk etc

27%, I listen to Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Punk etc

Too bad they didn't get more in dept with the genres. Like LeBrock said, there's a lot of different sub-genres of Classical music. The same if very true for Metal and Punk. I think people really into Black, Death, and/or Thrash metal would score differently, than someone just into regular Heavy Metal from the 70s. Same for punk; I'm sure people into hardcore, Oi, and/or 1977 style punk rock would have different scores. However, these sub-genres and crossover-genres can get very obscure though; so it would kind of be a ridiculous test at that point. Not to mention different regional-styles for those sub-genres.

Though people like my dad would sum them up in one genre; Crap. :rolleyes:

I scored 73% and the first sentence in the result is "you can play hardball with the best of them.

These pages and studies are a joke :D

No Diggity of Blackstreet is such a chill song and it's simply a nice song to hear to, while Eminem's Lose Yourself reminds you of past bad memories that made you stronger.

This whole fake psychopath thing must be just related to testosterone overproduction.

Try to listen to some of Hocico's songs like Ecos and Firewalking and make a comparison.

It is a surprising result! Always thought that psycopaths are gmasters at being undistinguishable.
So i always thought that they would always go for main stream. You need empathy to percieve art...

Sent from my SM-G903F using Eupedia Forum mobile app

For me, the most important trait that makes a psychopath is propensity to like suffering of others. Feeling pleasure from causing pain to others, physically and mentally. Without this major trait, whatever is left of psychopaths is harmless, or almost.

I scored 73% and the first sentence in the result is "you can play hardball with the best of them.

These pages and studies are a joke :D

No Diggity of Blackstreet is such a chill song and it's simply a nice song to hear to, while Eminem's Lose Yourself reminds you of past bad memories that made you stronger.

This whole fake psychopath thing must be just related to testosterone overproduction.

Try to listen to some of Hocico's songs like Ecos and Firewalking and make a comparison.

I totally agree on the testosterone thing, this test can overly inflate the score for males who have very healthy testosterone levels...or very healthy in general. Very healthy males like you and me. I forgot how to spell my doctor's name. Lol.

I totally agree on the testosterone thing, this test can overly inflate the score for males who have very healthy testosterone levels...or very healthy in general. Very healthy males like you and me. I forgot how to spell my doctor's name. Lol.

Not so sure. Testosterone levels vary a lot with age. Yet before puberty I liked both classical and hard rock, and as my testosterone rose as a teenager (and it was quite high) I liked classical even more and stopped listening to hard rock altogether. I did kart racing as a teen, then I travelled around the world as a backpacker in my early twenties, did bungee jumping, rock climbing and other rather risky activities, which I wouldn't try again now. But my preference for classical music never changed over time. And I like all subgenres of classsical.

I wonder if this psychopath from the latest shooting in the US also enjoyed rap. These attributes are heritable. I'm sure he was just like his father(he was on America most want list), but healthily expressed and even controlled his psychopathy through gambling until he released he was getting old and finally acted on his inner habits. These people can blend in very well with the average population. It's a scary thing to think but friends and even family members could be part of this group without anyone realizing. It seems like this guys brother was luckily enough not to inherit the same psychopathy the shooter had.(Note the shooter had no children while his brother did)

This thread has been viewed 30033 times.

Back