Psychopaths have a distinct preference for rap music

Interesting study. I will actually check music preferences of those I hang out with. Haha

I'm a lot into the Rock music specially punk rock and Classical music, but i grew up and live, with a lot of rap-fan, all my boys, ma friends, they all listen rap, primarly french rap. This is such a violent music, especially against women, but women also listen that violence, and participate to it. This is a very strange atmosphera that i never really liked. The correlation between rap and antisocial in that study, is very understandable. Sociopaths grew in bad situation, especially poverty, and rap is a music culturaly linked with american ghettos, poverty... So, we can imagine that people who become sociopaths in adulthood, because of their poor environnement, are also very linked with rap. The reason is also because in america, Urban living is almost everywhere the same. A lot of poverty that are black-americans and others ethnics that live in the same environnement are mutually influenced. Of course, dont look your friend who listen rap, as a sociopath, especially because rap has different sensibility, everything is not gangsta or bling bling in it.

I never really liked rap music, but to say that rap is associated with psycopaths is as far as it can get , in my opinion. I saw rap as some ugly poetry with little melody and a lot of angry verses. Probably, in certain contest it can stimulate aggressive behaviour - but agresivity is no psycopathy. Psycopaths are cold and calculative, non emotional, and non communicative. Rap has a lot of words, human emotions, and communication - ugly poetry. Do you really think that psycopaths like poetry ????
What i am looking for is some music with the least human component in it and there are two main candidates: instrumental classical, and minimal electronic.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Eupedia Forum mobile app

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyting

Flyting is a ritual, poetic exchange of insults practised mainly between the 5th and 16th centuries. The root is the Old English word flītan meaning quarrel (from Old Norse word flyta meaning provocation). Examples of flyting are found throughout Norse, Celtic,[2] Anglo-Saxon and Medieval literature involving both historical and mythological figures. The exchanges would become extremely provocative, often involving accusations of cowardice or sexual perversion.
Norse literature contains stories of the gods flyting. For example, in Lokasenna the god Loki insults the other gods in the hall of Ægir and the poem Hárbarðsljóð in which Hárbarðr (generally considered to be Odin in disguise) engages in flyting with Thor.[3]

In the confrontation of Beowulf and Unferð in the poem Beowulf, flytings were used as either a prelude to battle or as a form of combat in their own right.[4]
In Anglo-Saxon England, flyting would take place in a feasting hall. The winner would be decided by the reactions of those watching the exchange. The winner would drink a large cup of beer or mead in victory, then invite the loser to drink as well.[5]

The 13th century poem The Owl and the Nightingale and Geoffrey Chaucer's Parlement of Foules contain elements of flyting.

Flyting became public entertainment in Scotland in the 15th and 16th centuries, when makars would engage in verbal contests of provocative, often sexual and scatological but highly poetic abuse. Flyting was permitted despite the fact that the penalty for profanities in public was a fine of 20 shillings (over £300 in 2017 prices) for a lord, or a whipping for a servant.[6] James IV and James V encouraged "court flyting" between poets for their entertainment and occasionally engaged with them. The Flyting of Dumbar and Kennedie records a contest between William Dunbar and Walter Kennedy in front of James IV, which includes the earliest recorded use of the word shit as a personal insult.[6] In 1536 the poet Sir David Lyndsay composed a ribald 60-line flyte to James V after the King demanded a response to a flyte.

Flytings appear in several of William Shakespeare's plays. Margaret Galway analysed 13 comic flytings and several other ritual exchanges in the tragedies.[7] Flytings also appear in Nicholas Udall's Ralph Roister Doister and John Still's Gammer Gurton's Needle from the same era.

While flyting died out in Scottish writing after the Middle Ages, it continued for writers of Celtic background. Robert Burns parodied flyting in his poem, "To a Louse," and James Joyce's poem "The Holy Office" is a curse upon society by a bard.[8] Joyce played with the traditional two-character exchange by making one of the characters society as a whole.

Hilary Mackie has detected in the Iliad a consistent differentiation between representations in Greek of Achaean and Trojan speech,[9] where Achaeans repeatedly engage in public, ritualized abuse: "Achaeans are proficient at blame, while Trojans perform praise poetry."[10]

Taunting songs are present in the Inuit culture, among many others. Flyting can also be found in Arabic poetry in a popular form called naqā’iḍ, as well as the competitive verses of Japanese Haikai.

Echoes of the genre continue into modern poetry. Hugh MacDiarmid's poem A Drunk Man Looks at the Thistle, for example, has many passages of flyting in which the poet's opponent is, in effect, the rest of humanity.

Flyting is similar in both form and function to the modern practice of freestyle battles between rappers and the historic practice of the dozens, a verbal-combat game representing a synthesis of flyting and its Early Modern English descendants with comparable African verbal-combat games such as Ikocha Nkocha.[11]

In Finnic Kalevala the hero Väinämöinen uses similar practice of kilpalaulanta (duel singing) to win opposing Joukahainen.

I find this to be pretty interesting. Many cultures had a form of "rap battles", or verbal-combat.

Just remember what was used in wars to stimulate people to slaughter each other ... tamburs and drums. Low frequency is also a plus because it approaches the internal frequencies of human bodies- we start to vibrate internally. Grieg's "In the hall of the mountain king" is the best i can think.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Eupedia Forum mobile app

This thread has been viewed 29935 times.

Back