Predictions for eye color

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
You inspired me, Wheal. :) This is what I got.

AC at: rs4778241 - High Melanin. Adds yellow, amber, or brown. Some darkening. Contributes Amber, Brown.
TT at: rs916977 - Adds melanin. Some darkening.
AG at: rs4778138 - Adds melanin. Adds yellow, amber, or brown. Some darkening. Contributes to brown.
CC at: rs3794604 - Blocks some melanin. Often gives light colored eyes.
GG at: rs7174027 - Blocks some melanin. Often gives light colored eyes.
CC at: rs9782955 - Blocks some melanin. Often gives light colored eyes.
CT at: rs12203592 - Blue
CT at: rs1800407 - Penetrance Modifier - Blue
CC at: rs1129038 - High Melanin production. Brown.
GG at: rs12906280 - Gray ring around outer edge
CT at: rs3935591 - Heavy melanin on Anterior Epithelium. Brown.
AA at: rs12913832 - High melanin production on Anterior Epithelium. Adds yellow, amber, or brown. Some darkening. Contributes to brown.
CC at: rs1667394 - Increased melanin production on Anterior Epithelium. Adds yellow, amber, or brown. Some darkening.
GG at: rs16891982 - Starburst (Collarette)
AG at: rs11634406 - Flecks (Nevi).
TT at: rs35405 - Inhibit weak amber gradient

269590_11_.jpg

I don't think anyone has the above eye color, unless they're going for amber or cognac colored. For most of my life, this was the color of my eyes:
Mary+Kay+cream+eye+colour-+beach+blonde+and+iced+cocoa+on+eyes+(2).png

Now, they're more like the eyes to the right as you look at the picture:
hqdefault.jpg

So, maybe they're right. I always carried the genes for light eyes but when I was really young the darker genes dominated, and now they don't.

It's all pretty complicated,yes?

I'm going to move this to a new thread. We're getting off topic.

Do you have the grey smokey rings around your eyes? My ex has these and I noticed many Mediterranean and mixed people have this without realizing.

Do you have the grey smokey rings around your eyes? My ex has these and I noticed many Mediterranean and mixed people have this without realizing.

Yes, I do, always have had. They got that right, and the pattern as well. The actual color has definitely lightened.

It makes sense that I carry these genes. My Dad and half his family had green eyes, and the rest had blue eyes. My mom's family is all brown eyed. When it comes to hair I was light brownish/red haired as a child (my Dad's family is either red haired or blondish), which then darkened to my mother's very dark brown, and then it inexplicably got lighter with childbirth.

There must be hormonal and environmental factors that affect it.

Yes, that would explain that algorythms the FBI uses, for example, may not identify, say, grey or hazel or green eyes correctly. However, just the major gene of which we've been aware is very efficient at predicting light eyes versus brown eyes.

A lot of these variants are going to have minor effect, but cumulatively may make prediction better once they figure out which ones have the most effect.

Yes, that would explain that algorythms the FBI uses, for example, may not identify, say, grey or hazel or green eyes correctly. However, just the major gene of which we've been aware is very efficient at predicting light eyes versus brown eyes.

A lot of these variants are going to have minor effect, but cumulatively may make prediction better once they figure out which ones have the most effect.
Indeed.

It likely explains why these tools usually miss mine. :)

This thread has been viewed 6245 times.

Back