Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

Recipe for "best" bean and macaroni soup-Pasta e fagioli

Best in my opinion, of course. :) It's Lunigiana style.

Ingredienti:

· 1 tbsp olive oil
    · 4 oz. pancetta, chopped
    · 1 medium onion, finely chopped
    · 1-2 medium carrots, finely chopped
    · 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped, not the leaves and tough parts
    · 2 small or 1 large garlic clove-smashed
    · 1-2 teasp. Tomato paste
    · 2 - 19 oz. cans white kidney beans (cannellini beans), rinsed and strained (3 if you like it really creamy and thick like we do)
    · 6 cups chicken broth
    · 1 large sprig fresh rosemary
    · 1 bay leaf
    · 3/4 cup ditalini
    · Salt and pepper to taste
    · Parmigiano cheese for topping

1. Pu the olive oil in a large heavy bottom pot over medium high heat, and when it's hot, add in the pancetta - cook until starting to brown. Turn the heat down to medium low.

2. Add the vegetables to the pot and saute for at least 5 minutes. They should be getting soft and translucent.

3. Add the garlic, and saute one minute, then the tomato paste and saute for one minute.

4. Pour the chicken broth into the pot and then add in the kidney beans and fresh herbs . Bring the contents of the pot to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.

5. Remove at least 1 cup of the bean mixture, allow it to cool for about 5 minutes and then puree it in the food processor until it's smooth, or just put it in a bowl and use an immersion blender.

6. Add the pureed beans back into the soup and stir well.

7. Add the pasta to the pot and boil for 5-7 minutes with the lid on, you want the pasta to be al dente

8. Turn the heat off, let it sit for about 5 minutes and then serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and lots of grated parmigiana cheese.

A few notes:

l. A piece of salt pork, lard, or a ham bone can be substituted for the pancetta. I like the salt pork best, but it's not always available.

2. The "authentic" bean in most places is the borlotti bean, or what Americans call the cranberry bean, but that requires soaking them overnight (12 hours) and then boiling, whereas navy beans and cannellini beans can be bought pre-cooked in a can and they work fine. I prefer the "navy" beans or what Goya calls "small" white beans to cannellini beans because the skin is less tough and so it contributes to the creaminess of the soup, but again, some markets might not carry them canned.

3. My mother never added any garlic, but I do put one large squashed clove in with the vegetables after they're sauteed because my family love garlic.

4. We always just use a bit of tomato paste for the "tomato" element. It's just for color and to concentrate and enhance the other flavors. It's added to the vegetables and before the broth. Only in the south do they make a tomato-y soup.

5. You can use just boiling water instead of boiling chicken broth or use boiling vegetable broth. To me it sometimes seems a bit of a waste to use chicken broth on a soup that has so much flavor on its own. NEVER add cold liquid, always warmed up if not boiling.

6. Fresh rosemary is a must.

7. Pureeing part of it is a must. Our version is supposed to be creamy, not watery. In Lucca they puree almost all of it, but we sort of go half and half.

I make a huge pot of this every two weeks and freeze a lot of it. If you make more than just enough for one night, cook the pasta separately and you can add it to every batch you heat up. We hate mushy pasta. That's one reason I can't eat canned Americanized Italian soups, even from brands like Progresso. Fa schifo.

If you're handy in the kitchen, and give it a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Practically everyone to whom I've fed it has asked for the recipe, which is why I have it typed up and ready. :)

Mine when I'm in the mood for having it a bit loose.

How it's served in one of our local restaurants. Americans don't usually like that much olive oil. :)

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Princess Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteranThree Friends
    Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

I'm an American who loves olive oil :). You're referring to Americans without Italian ancestry ;)?

Seriously, I prefer it more than my stomach ever will. 20 minutes of bliss eating whatever olive oil drenched recipe is in front of me followed by 1-2 hours of agonizing nausea. :/

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

^^You must have a very peculiar digestive track. A teaspoon of olive oil is used to set it to rights. Perhaps an overindulgence in fast food and American snacks is to blame.

Princess Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

That's interesting. I'm not referring to a freak incident either, the nausea comes up quite reliably each time I have something with that oil.
    I think it could come down to an inability to digest certain oils, in fact i tend to feel a little queasy after eating fish (non shellfish) which is why I don't eat it often. Not as queasy as how i feel after olive oil, but still not right.
    I wonder if an inability to digest certain foods is one of many causes of certain mental conditions like ADHD or depression. These oils contain nutrients like the omegas which seem to be highly essential when it comes to adequare brain functioning.
    Interesting how you point out that my tract is out of the ordinary. Sorry for veering of topic btw

ps you'll rarely find me in line at any Burger King or McDonald's. I'm not into fast food, surprisingly!

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    That's interesting. I'm not referring to a freak incident either, the nausea comes up quite reliably each time I have something with that oil.
    I think it could come down to an inability to digest certain oils, in fact i tend to feel a little queasy after eating fish (non shellfish) which is why I don't eat it often. Not as queasy as how i feel after olive oil, but still not right.
    I wonder if an inability to digest certain foods is one of many causes of certain mental conditions like ADHD or depression. These oils contain nutrients like the omegas which seem to be highly essential when it comes to adequare brain functioning.
    Interesting how you point out that my tract is out of the ordinary. Sorry for veering of topic btw

ps you'll rarely find me in line at any Burger King or McDonald's. I'm not into fast food, surprisingly!
    Again, olive oil is considered one of the most easily digestible of oils.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...for-digestion/

If you have a problem with a lot of vegetable fats, you might want to read the following for some ideas. You might have a compromised gut or pancreas, or low stomach acid. Supplements sometimes help, but you might want to consult a physician first. A good nutritionist to put you on a healthy diet might also be a good idea to regulate your system.

In this case I would definitely recommend you make the soup. Just omit the pancetta if you also have problems with too much animal fat, and definitely use a low fat chicken broth. Two instead of three cans of beans, and definitely puree a lot of them, because it makes them easier to digest.

Princess Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

Thanks! But weirdly it's rarely fat from chicken or pork or other land animal. Fish fat makes me more queasy than the aforementioned, but less queasy than whatever is in the olive oil, yet as you said should be less difficult to handle, as it is a vegetable oil. Strange...

Yeah, I might need to bring this up to a med professional

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Again, olive oil is considered one of the most easily digestible of oils.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...for-digestion/

If you have a problem with a lot of vegetable fats, you might want to read the following for some ideas. You might have a compromised gut or pancreas, or low stomach acid. Supplements sometimes help, but you might want to consult a physician first. A good nutritionist to put you on a healthy diet might also be a good idea to regulate your system.

In this case I would definitely recommend you make the soup. Just omit the pancetta if you also have problems with too much animal fat, and definitely use a low fat chicken broth. Two instead of three cans of beans, and definitely puree a lot of them, because it makes them easier to digest.
    Sorry, I forgot to link to the blog where they discuss the various causes and some supplements to consider.
    http://forum.marksdailyapple.com/for...ompromised-gut

The other possibility is that you're eating at places where the olive oil is rancid because they haven't changed it or stored it properly. I wouldn't eat anywhere like Olive Garden, for example, and I can't eat chain pizza without getting terrible indigestion because of the acidity of the tomato sauce. If you lack the proper acid in your stomach, you might actually digest those better.

Princess Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

I don't eat at Italian chains, including Olive Garden. I mentioned here once that I ate there as a kid and enjoyed it, if i recall.
    But thanks for the link!

Btw speaking of chains, i was bored one night and looked into "papa" John's ancestry...he's completely Northern European. I was shocked! I at first looked him up and found he has an English or German last name..... I had expected him to be fully Italian (with a name like papa John and owning a pizza franchise on top of all this).

Not poking fun at his background, but I was surprised when I first found it out.

Princess Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

I may have read something stating that people who have ADHD or autism (I don't have autism ) actually do have abnormal or unusual digestive systems. I'll have to look this up. I wonder if it's more suited to a Paleolithic diet?

Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Wow this must be good, i love beans

Princess Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

Good for the heartThe more you eat the more you FAAAAAARRRT Ah, first grade pastimes. Lol

Princess Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

“The MedDiet is particularly high in healthy fat, as it includes the omega 3 fatty acids from fish, along with the monounsaturated fatty acids found in avocados and olive oil. These fats become incorporated into the brains of those with ADHD, potentially improving memory, attention, mood, behavior and even learning."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oli...adhd/55216/amp

So these oils can relieve ADHD symptoms, yet lead to nausea in my case.

It should be clear that psychiatric disorders don't necessarily stem from a defective brain, as they could be a consequence of a poor digestive tract.

I'll point out that I do have family members who have undergone digestive tract surgery and some have passed away due to fatal digestive tract growths.

Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Thanx for this recipe - I want to try this one because I think that this meal have to be tasty for me - for person who like such meals

Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Ethnic group
    Catalan

Very interesting. In Catalonia, we have an almost identical meal:

https://www.gallinablanca.cat/ca/rec...ngetes-seques/

In fact, "mongetes seques" can also be called "fajol".

I think the North Mediterranean is a continuum, rather an aggregation of countries.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Farstar View Post
    Very interesting. In Catalonia, we have an almost identical meal:

https://www.gallinablanca.cat/ca/rec...ngetes-seques/

In fact, "mongetes seques" can also be called "fajol".

I think the North Mediterranean is a continuum, rather an aggregation of countries.
    I completely agree. I spent time in Barcelona when I was young, and felt completely at home. I didn't even have to use my Spanish all the time. I did pretty well just listening to Catalan and responding in Italian. :) Absolutely loved the food, and the people as well.