Metabolism (Hunter & Farmer Traits) Results - Insitome

Spencer Wells opines:

https://twitter.com/spwells/status/922555657953431552

"[FONT=&quot]Disappointed to learn from the [/FONT]@insitome[FONT=&quot] Metabolism Insight that I'm genetically closer to Farmers than Hunters...may have to re-think Paleo".[/FONT]

Honestly, scientists shouldn't twitter. The more of his tweets I read the more I think he's a jerk, and the less confidence I have in his genetics work, not that I had much confidence over the last few years anyway.

Spencer Wells opines:
https://twitter.com/spwells/status/922555657953431552
"[FONT="]Disappointed to learn from the [/FONT][/COLOR][URL="https://twitter.com/insitome"]@insitome[/URL][FONT="] Metabolism Insight that I'm genetically closer to Farmers than Hunters...may have to re-think Paleo".[/FONT]
Honestly, scientists shouldn't twitter. The more of his tweets I read the more I think he's a jerk, and the less confidence I have in his genetics work, not that I had much confidence over the last few years anyway.

That's pretty messed up of him to say.

Though he's only the CEO-and founder of Insitome. I don't think he worked on the app himself; If it makes a difference.

82cQvqt.png

Wow, what a way to discourage customers, he needs to take that down bc he comes off as somewhat of a racist saying that.

I didn't necessarily take it in a "racist" sense, although now you bring it up...

I was initially thinking that he was trying to show he takes his own test seriously. Look, I don't mean that there probably isn't something to these kinds of conclusions, but he must know, or at least should know, that most of these things are probably influenced by multiple loci, most of which haven't yet been discovered, and that then they may be influenced by all sorts of epigenetic factors.

Just as one example, 23andme tells me that I'm lactose tolerant based on genetics. Yet, I've had some problems with too much dairy consumption, even of cheese, since my mid-thirties. Likewise, with "diets", they tell me that a high protein diet wouldn't help me lose or maintain weight and that a balanced diet with controls on caloric intake is most beneficial. Well, I tried an Atkins type diet for a few weeks, and it produced the fastest weight loss I've ever experienced. Those ten pounds sort of melted off. However, I felt like ****, my skin looked awful and yellowish, and I also don't think it's very healthy. You just don't get all the right nutrients, just as, imo, you don't get all the right nutrients on a vegetarian diet. These tests are fun, but does he really want us to believe we should change our whole lives based on them? Try out different food lifestyles. See what happens in terms of weight loss or maintenance, energy levels, stomach discomfort, skin tone etc., even bad breath. Also consider how easy or hard it is to get all the proper vitamins and nutrients. Then decide.

As to genetics itself, I've been disenchanted with him for a long time. He sold out a while ago, as a lot of these people are doing, to create personal genomics tests that they have to know are not very accurate, and that certainly aren't being interpreted correctly.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm no fan of the Genographic test, and so I don't have big hopes for Insitome.

My respect for him as a geneticist started to wane after a series of bad predictions and sloppy analysis, like those for a big reflux from Iberia to central Europe, and most recently for the last paper by Sarno, which he guided and was incredibly superficial.

I've noticed that in many cases, people who put themselves through these fad diets expecting health improvements end up looking like rotting zombies.

Alcohol Tolerance - Hunters vs Farmers
(results are Counterintuitive, I think)

I have the Hunter version = High Tolerance
I already knew that I can hold my liquor :) although I don't drink much, I never did.

Farmers = Low Tolerance
Hunters = High Tolerance

‘cause they were used to it, I would have thought that farmers should have been more tolerant to alcohol than Hunters (they say: NO)

KqnPFOC.jpg

RTrZzXx.jpg

631aH07.jpg

BpF3idJ.jpg

(results are Counterintuitive, I think)

I have the Hunter version = High Tolerance
I already knew that I can hold my liquor :) although I don't drink much, I never did.

Farmers = Low Tolerance
Hunters = High Tolerance

‘cause they were used to it, I would have thought that farmers should have been more tolerant to alcohol than Hunters (they say: NO)

KqnPFOC.jpg

RTrZzXx.jpg

631aH07.jpg

BpF3idJ.jpg

I guess by tolerance they just mean you can drink for longer before getting sick or experiencing alcohol poisoning, because it's metabolized quickly. The "farmer" version means you metabolize it more slowly. The "red" areas of the world are where the indigenous people have the highest rates of alcoholism.

It's a pretty crude division, though, because there are major differences even within Europe.

(results are Counterintuitive, I think) (...)
:rolleyes:
For all the farmers who can put the hunters under the table! rs1042173 TT
Cheers!
:drunk:

:rolleyes:
For all the farmers who can put the hunters under the table! rs1042173 TT
Cheers!

in a drinking game, Farmers don’t stand a chance against Hunters.

... as the results indicate, and as Angela :) explains :grin:

... Cent’ Anni, Salute!

A better chance of avoiding the plague of alcoholism and a longer life is the better deal, imo. It's better for the families too. Spousal and child abuse correlates with it, as does poverty.

There's a reason so many women, in particular, were for Prohibition. It didn't work, of course. We've had it too long, and people were too accustomed to it, so criminals filled the breach.

Prohibition+Women.png

temperancepic.jpg

I particularly like this one. :)

temperance_fineartamerica-com.jpg

in a drinking game, Farmers don’t stand a chance against Hunters.

... as the results indicate, and as Angela :) explains :grin:

... Cent’ Anni, Salute!
Salute
I'm not afraid.:giggle: I seem to be mainly farmer with heavy drinker genes. Cent’ Anni! :beer1:

i wonder what side effects the farmer version has in a hunter environment. maybe smaller amounts of alcohol are still unhealthier for people without the hunter version. but the excess forced the selection of the farmer version.

I guess by tolerance they just mean you can drink for longer before getting sick or experiencing alcohol poisoning, because it's metabolized quickly. The "farmer" version means you metabolize it more slowly. T

i think the farmer allele of the gene in question is metabolizing alcohol faster to more poisonous substrate. but the speed of the following steps to remove the more poisonous substance is unaffected so the concentration increases faster.

A better chance of avoiding the plague of alcoholism and a longer life is the better deal, imo. It's better for the families too. Spousal and child abuse correlates with it, as does poverty.

There's a reason so many women, in particular, were for Prohibition. It didn't work, of course. We've had it too long, and people were too accustomed to it, so criminals filled the breach.

Prohibition+Women.png

temperancepic.jpg

I particularly like this one. :)

temperance_fineartamerica-com.jpg

none of these ladies look very happy

I'd prefer the bottle over their company

none of these ladies look very happy

I'd prefer the bottle over their company

If your spouse was spending the whole paycheck on alcohol, leaving you and your children at risk of starvation and losing your homes, and when home and drunk would beat all of you, you might not be too happy either.

Of course, there's also the obvious: these were drawings meant to depict anger.

If your spouse was spending the whole paycheck on alcohol, leaving you and your children at risk of starvation and losing your homes, and when home and drunk would beat all of you, you might not be too happy either.

Ok, I have a drinking problem, but never that bad ..

Ok, I have a drinking problem, but never that bad ..

Never knew that, Bicicleur, how would I, so there was nothing personal in my analysis. Apologies if it's a sore subject.

This thread has been viewed 61223 times.

Back