Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: What to do with different results??

Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 3.0%

What to do with different results??

Hi all,
    I'm very new to genealogical research and DNA-testing. Right now, I just don't know what to do. I hope some of you might can get me in the right direction.. :)

Our family story is that my great-great grandfather was from Ethiopia, why we tried to test my mother with a DNA-test from Myheritage to check if this was right. I got the result, but it says that she's 81,9% scandinavian + 18,1% from ireland/scotland.. Nothing african or anything else, which seems weird when my mother doesn't look like the normal scandinavian / irish person.

From my own research I am back in around 1780 and have only found one person who might be from Norway, all others I have found is Danish. It is only my unknown great-great grandfather I have no information about who could have given my mother her dark skin...

I have since I got the result played a bit with Gedmatch to try some other test of the raw data. Until now I have tried MDLP World-22 MDLP World-22, Eurogenes K-12 and K-15.

The results are different and I don't know if I can trust any of it, or why I don't get any bigger percent that is more "african"

MDLP World-22
    West-Asian 7,35%
    North-European-Mesolithic 6,50%
    South-America_Amerind 0,22%
    Atlantic_Mediterranenan_Neolithic 32,55%
    Indo-Iranian 1,29%
    North-East-European 51,73%
    South-African 0,15%
    Melanesian 0,06%
    Austronesian 0,14%
    Eurogenes K12
    caucasus 6,14%
    southwest asien 0,07%
    mediterranean 6,97%
    volga-ural 9,65%
    south baltic 15,43%
    westeren european 28,59%
    north see 33,14%
    Eurogenes EUtest V2 K15
    north sea 37,46%
    atlantic 24,47%
    baltic 14,02%
    eastern_euro 10,57%
    west_med 6,27%
    west_asian 5,45%
    red_sea 1,45%
    sub_saharan 0,26%
    Can you conclude anything from this - or should I do something else, use another test?
    My family doesn't know about the result yet, while I have told my mom she gets it at her birthday party in a few weeks, so I still have a bit time to see if I can get a bit wiser about this before..

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Maybe he was a white man who came back from Ethiopia, not ethnic Ethiopian? Do you have his picture? It is hard to believe that Ethiopian would travel to Scandinavia to live there, 100 something years ago. Plus scandinavians didn't have colonies in Africa, right?

From my own research I am back in around 1780 and have only found one person who might be from Norway,
    That's about 8 generations ago, if not more. Are you sure you found all the 200 plus ancestors?
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    Maybe he was a white man who came back from Ethiopia, not ethnic Ethiopian? Do you have his picture? It is hard to believe that Ethiopian would travel to Scandinavia to live there, 100 something years ago. Plus scandinavians didn't have colonies in Africa, right?
    We don't know much about him (my great great grandfather) - the story is that he was a part of a human exhibition in my hometown, which was quite normal back then. Then he got a son (my great grandfather) with a Danish girl.. We have a picture of him from the papers who advertised about the exhibition, but nothing else. My great grandfather hurt my great grandmother, so she burned everything she had about him, why we actually don't know that much about him either...

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    That's about 8 generations ago, if not more. Are you sure you found all the 200 plus ancestors?
    I havn't found all yet. My primary focus is my mothers side - to see if we can get closer to know more about both my great and great great grandfather..