If you could go anywhere back In time what places would you visit?

I would be interested in visiting Bronze Age Europe, but am not sure how happy the residents of the period would be to see me poking around their villages. I would probably change my ticket at the last moment, and instead visit a less remote time and place, like 18th century Philadelphia.

You have to define selfish, though.

Yes, very different term for different people.

For example, some people like eat super expensive food with real gold which offer some restaurants in Dubai.

https://www.expatwoman.com/ewfood/cookery-baking/5-dubai’s-most-expensive-food-items

dubai1.png

Are they selfish? It depends, maybe some of them greatly donate charity organizations.

It is another story if golden food safe for eating (if someone knows?), really gold has neither taste nor nutritional value.

I'd go back four centuries or so to have a chat with my earliest known ancestors. Would take a while though : there were quite a few of them sixteen generations ago.

Then I'd leap another twelve centuries further back to try and solve that lingering Ligurian riddle.

Optionally, I'd go stand on the cliff above Termopylae to watch Leonidas fight the Persians.

I'd much rather be there when he kicked the messanger down the hole...lol

1st choice, Nearest Euro Lotto selling shop, last Friday. 2nd Choice, London Oct 10th 1066, and tell King Harold to take loads of Archer's on his next outing..and see the changes.

I would like to go back 45,000 years plus to meet my ydna P-BY49600 and mtdna M7C1C3 first ancestors...I wonder if they would hug me or cook me for dinner instead,lol

Haha
Im a mythology fan, id love to find out why it took Odysseus 10 years to get home after troy.
Turkey to Greece you could swim in 48 hours ?
Unless it was Britain to spain, like iman wilkens has it,
and what in gods name was a cyclops or a medusa or a sea nymph lol

Or the man found a nice Trojan wife, stayed there for 10 years, then they started fighting and he went crawling back to his first wife and made up an incredible story to explain the delay. Doesn't make any less sense than stupidly starting a disastrous war by stealing a king's wife.

Well, I wouldn't want to live there or stay for any appreciable length of time, but I'd like to visit Classical Greece, ancient Rome, Renaissance Italy, Elizabethan England, Revolutionary War era America.
All good places indeed!

I also really wonder how life was in ancient Sumer, Assyria, Babylon or the Hittite kingdom. It's more difficult to imagine than the places you listed.

If i still had a bit of time I would probably like to see the Pyramids of Egypt on their first day - more than the objects, the surprise in the eyes of people. Did they really believe that the Pharaon was a God?

Of course they believed that their Pharaoh was a God! Why else would so many suffer and die to build a bloated tomb for his afterlife. Most people in the Roman Empire believed that the emperor was a God too. Damn, even the Japanese believed their emperor was a God and died by the millions in WWII just 73 years ago! These were literate, industrialised people. How hard is it to believe that wretched, benighted ancient Egyptians could believe their king was a living God?

The first time I really wanted to go back in time was the early days of Islam, I wanted to see Muhammad, to look him in the eye and see for my self if he was sincere in his belief that he recieved revalation from God, or was he just decieving his people.

I also thought of Jesus, was he real ? was someone even crucified ?
I think that Muhammad really believed what he said, but that doesn't mean he wasn't schizophrenic or had some other mental illness. There are plenty of "illuminated" even today who try to start their own cult. India and America are particularly fertile grounds for that. Most believe (or come to believe) in what their own mind come up with, but they are usually mentally disturbed.

There is no tangible evidence that Jesus ever existed. The Bible was supposedly composed decades after his death, but the oldest known New Testament are fragments from the late 2nd century, nearly 200 years after the events supposedly took place. The early Christian martyrs like St Peter in Rome are also stories composed by Christians decades or centuries later. I am not sure when is the earliest mention of Christian from non Christian sources. Does anyone know? From what I read even Nero didn't blame the Christians for burning Rome because he didn't know or care about them. It might have been another minority and the Church later rewrote the story to give the impression that pagan Romans persecuted them from the start.

Im with you on that. Besides Jovialis's idea ;) I wouldn't mind going back to the times when these miracles mentioned in religious texts happened. I'll be happy to go back to verify reports of UFO abductions as well, bc I'm one of those "did that really happen" types.
Do you really need to see it for yourself to know these are lies that people made to get some attention? It's a fundamental human urge to want to get attention from others and feel important or special. It's also in human nature to lie. Combine the two and you get miracles and UFOs. Add the credulity of the masses and you can really get yourself something going.

You have to define selfish, though. For one selfishness is squandering 200 billion like Putin, or not paying millions in taxes like Trump, for others treating yourself to new cloths or buying a better car could trigger guilt. One can always find a cause to spend money and time for others, just not to be considered selfish.
Selfishness doesn't have to be about money. I think that what you describe with Putin and Trump is greed, a whole other animal. And feeling bad about buying new clothes or a car is just guilt (but why would people feel it in the first place for using their own money?)

Selfishness would be not wanting to share with a friend something you have and don't need now just because it's yours. It would be choosing to ignore your spouse washing the dishes and watching TV instead even though you are not tired and didn't have a particularly busy day.

Actually, I don't see how you can be truly happy if you're really selfish. Your senses might be satisfied, or your ego, but true happiness is for me very different. The times I've been happiest in my life had nothing to do with anything I accomplished or bought or anything like that. It's always been about being with someone I love or more important, seeing someone I deeply love really happy.

That's also how I feel about it. Money doesn't buy happiness.

I would like to go back 45,000 years plus to meet my ydna P-BY49600 and mtdna M7C1C3 first ancestors...I wonder if they would hug me or cook me for dinner instead,lol
I wouldn't rejoice too much in the thought of having dinner 45,000 years ago. Or conversation for that matter.

It is another story if golden food safe for eating (if someone knows?), really gold has neither taste nor nutritional value.

Gold, like silver and copper (one above the other in the periodic table and with similar properties) are potent bactericides and fungicides. When Americans colonised the Wild West, they would drop a silver coin in their milk jar to prevent it from going bad. Koreans have traditionally used silver cutlery because it was said protects against food poisoning. Copper plays an important role in the immune system to kill bacteria (while zinc is more essential in fighting off viruses). Gold is very neutral for the human body and, in colloidal form, their nanoparticles may improve the connectivity of neurons.

So the bottom line is that eating fine gold leaves could make sense and isn't bad for the body, although in that form it is probably not very effective. The picture you posted is clearly intended as a decoration for haute cuisine. Gold is in fact commonly used for this purpose in French cuisine. It's also used to decorate Belgian pralines. It may look expensive but it's really not. It's just a few milligrams.

To answer the thread's question, I have no idea where I would choose to go. I would want to see everything, but probably wouldn't to live anywhere in the past.

I guess I would be interested to see how some people looked like. It could be famous people before the age of painted portraits, but also how whole ancient ethnic groups looked like, especially before the great population blends of the Bronze Age and Neolithic. What did WHG, EHG, CHG and ENF populations looked like before they mixed with one another?

It would also be interesting to verify the 'facts of history' as history is written by the victors and what really happened may be quite different from the interpretation they passed on to us.

I would like to go to Germany in the 30's to see how the people were persuaded by Hitler. I still find it very difficult to explain.

Another interesting time is when sapiens, neanderthals, denisovans, etc, were all alive and lived in overlapping territories. The thought of another being with a different but not necessarily inferior intelligence is very difficult to apprehend.

I'd also want to see Ancient Greece and Rome, and some of the greatest African kingdoms. They might have been very advanced but we have almost nothing left from them.

Gold, like silver and copper (one above the other in the periodic table and with similar properties) are potent bactericides and fungicides. When Americans colonised the Wild West, they would drop a silver coin in their milk jar to prevent it from going bad. Koreans have traditionally used silver cutlery because it was said protects against food poisoning. Copper plays an important role in the immune system to kill bacteria (while zinc is more essential in fighting off viruses). Gold is very neutral for the human body and, in colloidal form, their nanoparticles may improve the connectivity of neurons.

So the bottom line is that eating fine gold leaves could make sense and isn't bad for the body, although in that form it is probably not very effective. The picture you posted is clearly intended as a decoration for haute cuisine. Gold is in fact commonly used for this purpose in French cuisine. It's also used to decorate Belgian pralines. It may look expensive but it's really not. It's just a few milligrams.

They used to give silver to arthritis sufferers (as in rheumatoid arthritis, not old age arthritis) because it was thought it was caused by bacteria. They gave it to both my maternal and paternal grandmothers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus
I think that Muhammad really believed what he said, but that doesn't mean he wasn't schizophrenic or had some other mental illness. There are plenty of "illuminated" even today who try to start their own cult. India and America are particularly fertile grounds for that. Most believe (or come to believe) in what their own mind come up with, but they are usually mentally disturbed.

There is no tangible evidence that Jesus ever existed. The Bible was supposedly composed decades after his death, but the oldest known New Testament are fragments from the late 2nd century, nearly 200 years after the events supposedly took place. The early Christian martyrs like St Peter in Rome are also stories composed by Christians decades or centuries later. I am not sure when is the earliest mention of Christian from non Christian sources. Does anyone know? From what I read even Nero didn't blame the Christians for burning Rome because he didn't know or care about them. It might have been another minority and the Church later rewrote the story to give the impression that pagan Romans persecuted them from the start.

Josephus is an often cited but sometimes controversial source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus

The scholarly consensus, not just among "Christian" scholars, is that in some passages he refers to both Jesus and Christians. However, this was written in 93-94 AD, so, about 60 years after the putative death of Jesus. There might conceivably still have been people around who knew him "in the flesh".

Fwiw..."Virtually all New Testament scholars and Near East historians, applying the standard criteria of historical investigation, find that the historicity of Jesus is effectively certain[3][4][5][6][nb 1][nb 2][nb 3][nb 4]although they differ about the beliefs and teachings of Jesus as well as the accuracy of the details of his life that have been described in the gospels.[nb 5][12][nb 6][14]:168–173 While scholars have criticized Jesus scholarship for religious bias and lack of methodological soundness,[nb 7] with very few exceptions such critics generally do support the historicity of Jesus and reject the Christ myth theory that Jesus never existed.[16][nb 8][18][19][20]".

By contrast, the Epistles of Paul are dated to about AD 50-60 from internal references, largely, if I remember correctly.

Tacitus does mention Christians as well.

"The Roman historian Tacitus, in his Annals (written ca. AD 115), book 15, chapter 44.[43]describes Nero's scapegoating of the Christians following the Fire of Rome. He says that their founder was named Christus (the Christian title for Jesus), that he was executed under Pontius Pilate, and that the movement of his followers, initially checked, then broke out again in Judea and even in Rome itself.[44] Some scholars question the historical value of the passage on various grounds.[45]"

You might find the article interesting: it's pretty balanced in its presentation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

This thread has been viewed 22516 times.

Back