Banned
Reaction score
Ethnic group
North Alpine Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
mtDNA haplogroup
H95a1 ..Pannoni
Firstly .............does it come down the family line via genes?

next........My grandfather is his WW1 service record is noted as Capelli Castani ( hair Chestnut colour )

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capelli_castani

Clearly it cannot be brown or else wit will be called Marone

My 89 yo auntie stated he had a red blend in his hair , the colour of chestnut ( I think she meant like Hugh Grant colour in the link )

The service record also states ...Occhi Verde-Castani ( green chestnut colour ) ..................is that light or Dark eyes?

Lastly, face is leptomorphic

so, a long narrow face with hazel-brown eyes and reddish brown hair?

I've never in my life heard or seen brown hair described as anything other than "castani". Marroni is sometimes used to describe brown eyes, but it is less used than castani. You can see the distinction not only in normal speech but in official forms like the carta d'identita where there are choices.
https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/marrone-vs-castano.1236525/

As for asking whether hair color comes from "genes", all phenotype differences of course come from genes.

Firstly .............does it come down the family line via genes?

next........My grandfather is his WW1 service record is noted as Capelli Castani ( hair Chestnut colour )

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capelli_castani

Clearly it cannot be brown or else wit will be called Marone

My 89 yo auntie stated he had a red blend in his hair , the colour of chestnut ( I think she meant like Hugh Grant colour in the link )

The service record also states ...Occhi Verde-Castani ( green chestnut colour ) ..................is that light or Dark eyes?

Lastly, face is leptomorphic

Hi Sile. I think it means that your 89yo auntie got what in USA is known as hazel eyes. In spain 'ojos castaños' (chestnut) or 'color miel' (honey)
the dark redish chestnut is very common in Iberia because the keltic ancestry. Sometimes that redish is only visible by hues

Like this man from spain:
In this pic looks dark haired...
he_vuelto.jpg

But not at all.... He is dark redish, And this is only visible according with the sun rays direction (the scatered light brings the true colour, as the photographers use white thin shades between sunlight and subject to improve the colour quality:
76806_4695955003009_1427516203_n.jpg

This is a very common celtiberian hair colour....

It's difficult to say whether those hair are chestnut with a little of phaeomelanin giving the red nuance. Or if its just brown eumelanin with blond wich reflect red nuance. By the way i have Black Hair but in the sun i have reddish nuance too, all those photos are take on sun, very difficult to take any conclusion.

Thanks

unsure if the naming reflects the tone of the colour. maybe for official papers it is more exacting and for the populace less so.

Italians state for eye colour for blue, comes in 3 shades that I have found , Blu, Azzurri, and Celesti ................Dark, Mid and Light.

both my sons have Azzurri colour, noted recently in papers as they gain their italian citizenship by descent ( via me )..............and my wife is noted Celeste eyes

so I assume, the italians also have a shading difference for hair as well ( I will pose the question with the patronato ( italian consulate ) when I take my mum there next month.)

Gentlemen, from chemicals or the sun all hair first gets reddish and only then blonde. It's a progression. Ask any women you know to ask their hairdressers. I see it happening all the time.

So, as very dark hair burns from the sun it gets reddish, light brown hair gets blonde etc. etc.

Gentlemen, from chemicals or the sun all hair first gets reddish and only then blonde. It's a progression. Ask any women you know to ask their hairdressers. I see it happening all the time.

So, as very dark hair burns from the sun it gets reddish, light brown hair gets blonde etc. etc.

It doesn't happen in gypsis...

The sun's rays destroy melanin in the hair, burning it in effect, because hair, except for the follicle, is essentially dead. It can't produce melanin. That only comes with the new hair from the roots. That's why when women bleach their hair, the bleached hair will never get dark again. The "new" hair growing in from the follicles has the darker hue dictated by their genetics.

The more melanin you have in your hair, i.e. the darker it is, the less of an effect you will see. That's why 100 years ago girls and women who wanted lighter hair put lemon juice and vinegar in their hair and then lay down in the sun (covering the face etc.) and let the sun's rays do their work.

When hair has as much melanin as that in the hair of Asians and Africans I would bet it wouldn't have much noticeable effect. It's also affected by thinness and porosity, with thinner and more porous hair lightening more. My hair was thick, but the texture was fine, so, it would have lightened on the top if I spent a lot of time in the sun, which I never did. I see the effect on other people, however.

See:
https://www.hairfinder.com/hairquestions/hair_sunshine.htm

Italian surnames were sometimes jokes. I can't tell you how many people I know with the surname "Capobianco" who have jet black hair.

Italian surnames were sometimes jokes. I can't tell you how many people I know with the surname "Capobianco" who have jet black hair.

joke?

more like that at the time the surname was given out .........he was truly capobianco.
you do not expect them to change their surname based on their hair colour

The shape between nose and superior lips could tell us if someone is more R1 or I1: R1 have straight parallel shape and I1 triangular shape.

I1 / I2/ R1 associated woman (more I1 than R1):
r1b_lips1.jpg

I1 associated woman:
i1_lips2.jpg

R1 associated woman (paralell or straight lines) Smaller pupils (You could see a white area under its)
Redhead_5.jpg

Last edited:
More of celtiberian dark-chestnut hair transition:

This thread has been viewed 6543 times.

Back