Living DNA launching One Family One World Project in cooperation with Eupedia

I emailed LivingDNA requesting they make amendment to the breakdown in South East Europe. Clearly doesn't make them look good that they don't recognize Kosova's independence and instead support the position/claim of the nation which committed genocide to its neighbors.

Regardless of their opinions on the matter, Kosova is a sovereign state. Their intention to purposely name it as Serbia on their site is a gross misrepresentation, especially for their business. It will also be problematic considering Kosova is majority Albanian. I can see that screwing with autosomal breakdown big time.

is it based on nations or ethnic and linguistic lines ...............I looked at italy and they have trentino in with Veneto, we know they are ethnically and linguistically very similar, then they split of east lombardy from lombardy, clearly based on ethnic and linguistic lines, Bergamo, Brescia, Cremona ( east Lombardy ) where under Venice from 1430 to 1800 , maybe this has something to do with how they split the areas

This is great news, can't wait to see the results it will produce.

Kosovo and SouthEast Serbia being listed as the same colour and implicit region is quite disappointing as Kosovo is
currently 95% albanian ethnicity. This will only muddy and skew the statistics and will have albanian dna being
registered as south slav dna vice versa.

Note how this didn't happen with "Bosnia" and "Bosniak Serbs." Clearly demarcated colours and borders even though it is
only one country: Bosnia.

If this was done unintentionally, it is irresponsible. If it was done intentionally than it is a tendentious gesture conducive to serbia's expansionist aspirations. The reason I suspect it is intentional is that Kosovo is missing from their country list in both their "research section" as well as the countries listed in their South East Europe project:

"This project spans the following countries: Albania, Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey"

SkL3g0f.png

Actually, if you check the list of regions, Kosovo is separate from Serbia. The problem is that the software to make interactive maps is attributing the colours of the regions randomly and there isn't enough colours, so that some adjacent regions have exactly the same colour. If you look carefully there is a thin white line separating the regions. If you click on a region's name in the list, it will be highlighted. But at the moment it is confusing. I hope this can be fixed. I made the map and this is the original one I submitted to Living DNA.

Balkans_Carpathians_histori.png

Actually, if you check the list of regions, Kosovo is separate from Serbia. The problem is that the software to make interactive maps is attributing the colours of the regions randomly and there isn't enough colours, so that some adjacent regions have exactly the same colour. If you look carefully there is a thin white line separating the regions. If you click on a region's name in the list, it will be highlighted. But at the moment it is confusing. I hope this can be fixed. I made the map and this is the original one I submitted to Living DNA.

Balkans_Carpathians_histori.png

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize the colours were randomly generated.

The reason I jumped on it was because of the two red flags I had noticed.

The first beings Kosovo's absence in this:

"This project spans the following countries: Albania, Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey"

The second being their "opt in" research section. Kosovo was also absent as a country, but it was present as a county/state/region of Yugoslavia:

S1LCkaP.png

I'm not worried about any signalling or ensuring empty recognition of Kosovo online. My main worry and the reason I spoke up
was about a large cluster of Kosovo Albanians (~2 million) being opted into livingdna research as Yugoslavians(south slavs). This
can have all sorts of muddying and confusing effects in the science of the region.

Thanks for the clarification.

Not to split hairs here too much, but Foggia is a different province from Bari. They have their own unique history and dialect too; though it is a variant with other influences. If I could suggest a critique to the map; it would be to split those regions.

4Dtz9bG.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bd/Barese.JPG/120px-Barese.JPG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bari_dialect

Maybe, but they speak a similar Pugliese dialect (of Neapolitan), clearly distinct from the Salentino dialect (of Sicilian). There was a limit to the number of subdivisions by country, also based on size and population.

Dialetti_e_lingue_in_Italia.png

Maybe, but they speak a similar Pugliese dialect (of Neapolitan), clearly distinct from the Salentino dialect (of Sicilian). There was a limit to the number of subdivisions by country, also based on size and population.

I see, at any rate, I'll gladly participate in the project.

I see, at any rate, I'll gladly participate in the project.

Does regionalization go live at the same time matching is suspected to(mid 2018)? If we tested LivingDNA we would automatically be included given all 4 grandparents are from the same region?

Does regionalization go live at the same time matching is suspected to(mid 2018)? If we tested LivingDNA we would automatically be included given all 4 grandparents are from the same region?

I'm not sure, I'm still waiting on my DNA results to upload to the project.

I'm omitted, and both of my parents are omitted. gg grands for me and ggrands (and earlier) from my parents.

I'm not sure, I'm still waiting on my DNA results to upload to the project.

Where would we see if its uploaded to the project? I assume my parents and myself were accepted, got through account creation and uploaded their raw data successfully. now with ETC for the 29th.

Where would we see if its uploaded to the project? I assume my parents and myself were accepted, got through account creation and uploaded their raw data successfully. now with ETC for the 29th.

Sorry but I don't know. To clarify, I'm stilling waiting on my 23andme results, which I plan on uploading the raw data when I receive it. I haven't even attempted to upload anything to the project as of yet.

my 23andme v3 file i tried to use failed, and my ftdna one i used worked..........i am due 30 Oct.

thanks
looking at the map , I initially thought it was a bit wrong, but I am mistaken
my paternal line as well as my wife's paternal line both site in Veneto Ve3
my mothers line in Veneto Ve4
and mother in law line in Veneto Ve2

going back to the 15th century then my paternal line was in TR next to Mocheno

Once joining LivingDna, are you automatically part of the project of the country you are from or does one need to apply?
I cannot see where I can become part of the Italy project

This is awesome I hope they get enough Slovak samples, I doubt it though since there are so little on forums or who take DNA tests

Sent from my KIW-L21 using Tapatalk

No, you must have at least 4 grand-parents all born in the same region of the same country in Eurasia or Africa to qualify.

It's allowable for "mutts". The One World has two separate ideas:

• To build a genetic family tree of everyone from around the world, regardless of where your family comes from.
  • To build a regional genetic breakdown of ancestry within countries, similar to ’The Peopling of the British Isles project’. This part of the project is looking for people with all four grandparents born within 80km (50miles) of each other.
What seems to be omitted are people with unknown ancestry of parents/grandparents.

I'm mixed, would they still accept me? I've never been tested, but I'd like to know in case I do.

Congrats Maciamo, amazing job! And count me in (I already joined the Polish Project, my grandparents are born within 80 km of each other, so I qualify to the regional part of the Project).

Also good job with dividing Poland into regions. But I suggest some changes, and increasing the number of regions from 11 to 15. I made this map (thanks mlukas and Rethel for your advice):

Map (I made it in GIMP): https://i.imgur.com/M68llFO.png

M68llFO.png

^^^ 15 regions in total for Poland:

- Pomerania
- Kashubia (or Pomerelia, if you prefer this name)
- Northern Poland*
- Oberland (Upper Prussia, Prusy Górne; west part of East Prussia)
- Warmia-Masuria**
- Sudovia-Podlachia (Sudovia is too small to be its own thing)
- Neumark (or East Brandenburg, if you prefer)
- Greater Poland
- Central Poland (or Sieradz-Leczyca if you prefer)
- Masovia (Mazovia)
- Lower Silesia (historically as far north as Crossen-Schwiebus)
- Upper Silesia (including Cieszyn, Syców & Namysłów regions)
- Polish Mountains
- Lesser Poland
- Red Ruthenia

*Includes 11 smaller regions: Kuyavia, Krajna, Dobrzyn Land, Chelmno Land, Tuchola Forests, Kociewie, Powisle, Lubawa Land, Kosznajderia, Free City Danzig (Gdańsk), Żuławy (Malbork-Elbląg area).

**Includes entire Masuria but only southern half of Warmia, with Polish-speaking Warmiaks.

Borders of regions are drawn - with just 1 or 2 exceptions - based on 1900 borders of counties. I can send you blank maps with borders of counties as of 1900 (the ones that I used in GIMP).

(...) Map (I made it in GIMP): https://i.imgur.com/M68llFO.png

M68llFO.png

^^^ 15 regions in total for Poland:

- Pomerania
- Kashubia (or Pomerelia, if you prefer this name)
- Northern Poland*
- Oberland (Upper Prussia, Prusy Górne; west part of East Prussia)
- Warmia-Masuria**
- Sudovia-Podlachia (Sudovia is too small to be its own thing)
- Neumark (or East Brandenburg, if you prefer)
- Greater Poland
- Central Poland (or Sieradz-Leczyca if you prefer)
- Masovia (Mazovia)
- Lower Silesia (historically as far north as Crossen-Schwiebus)
- Upper Silesia (including Cieszyn, Syców & Namysłów regions)
- Polish Mountains
- Lesser Poland
- Red Ruthenia

*Includes 11 smaller regions: Kuyavia, Krajna, Dobrzyn Land, Chelmno Land, Tuchola Forests, Kociewie, Powisle, Lubawa Land, Kosznajderia, Free City Danzig (Gdańsk), Żuławy (Malbork-Elbląg area).

**Includes entire Masuria but only southern half of Warmia, with Polish-speaking Warmiaks.

Borders of regions are drawn - with just 1 or 2 exceptions - based on 1900 borders of counties. I can send you blank maps with borders of counties as of 1900 (the ones that I used in GIMP).

Compared to borders of administrative counties as of year 1900:

https://i.imgur.com/A2UP9iJ.png

A2UP9iJ.png

This thread has been viewed 66616 times.

Back