Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 133

Thread: Living DNA launching One Family One World Project in cooperation with Eupedia

  1. #51
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    24-02-15
    Posts
    243
    Points
    2,727
    Level
    14
    Points: 2,727, Level: 14
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 11.0%


    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    My cooperation with Living DNA started after they had launched the German Project. I would have divided the regions differently, with more emphasis on dialects, historical boundaries and haplogroup distribution rather than the modern political divide they chose. Anyway these maps are preliminary and will be adjusted based on the data from participants.
    Will Living DNA provide detailed Y and mt DNA maps?

    I assume they won't if they require you to have 4 grand parents in the same region, unless they want to make sure that they can autosomically verify that a participant is from the region they say they are from?

  2. #52
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,720
    Points
    709,144
    Level
    100
    Points: 709,144, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post
    Yes, I suppose that ultimately they will create their own genetic clusters based on results of people with grandparents born within 80 km of each other. These regional divisions are only preliminary.

    But I think that you should update Poland's regions based on my suggestions.
    I will discuss the update of the Polish map with them.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  3. #53
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mlukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-04-17
    Posts
    222
    Points
    4,558
    Level
    19
    Points: 4,558, Level: 19
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Poland



    Sorry this is a hoax. They wanted to steal our rawdata for free and they give us nearly nothing.

    First of all the ETA is now August 2018 for everybody. And it was told it will be few days!

    Secondly read this!




    Maciamo, if you have any influence on them. Please tell them that we want free ethnicity estimate not matching, and not in August 2018!

  4. #54
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mlukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-04-17
    Posts
    222
    Points
    4,558
    Level
    19
    Points: 4,558, Level: 19
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Poland



    Please people, stop uploading them your rawdata for free. Maybe when they will see such policy was stupid they would change their mind!

    I'm certainly not going to buy their kit to see my estimate. If they thought it would attract me they were simply idiots.

  5. #55
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Valerius's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-05-15
    Posts
    85
    Points
    3,705
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,705, Level: 17
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-M123*/E-Y31991
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV (T16311C!)

    Country: Bulgaria



    I took part with my raw data/details but also can't understand what exactly they'll provide after the "Status: Awaiting testing":
    - Free estimates?
    - Estimates for cash?
    - Nothing?

    Anyone with more info?

  6. #56
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mlukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-04-17
    Posts
    222
    Points
    4,558
    Level
    19
    Points: 4,558, Level: 19
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Poland



    only matches

  7. #57
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Valerius's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-05-15
    Posts
    85
    Points
    3,705
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,705, Level: 17
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-M123*/E-Y31991
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV (T16311C!)

    Country: Bulgaria



    Quote Originally Posted by mlukas View Post
    only matches
    If that's correct then their info is quite misleading. Here's the text after you finish your account:

    Welcome to Living DNA.


    You now have a lifetime membership where you will be able to view your ancestry breakdown in ever expanding detail.

    Once we receive your samples, our scientists will be working hard to find out where you come from. When your results are ready, you will be able to view them on this portal, which uses maps and visuals to show you as simply as possible what makes you up. You can view your map on a global, regional or sub-regional level, giving you the most detailed breakdown possible.

    As well as giving you your ancestry breakdown today, Living DNA also show you what your ancestral patterns looked like and where they came from, going back approximately 80,000 years ago, showing we are all connected at some point in history. We've also given you your own dotty avatar, a unique way to visualise your breakdown and share and compare your results with others.

    Our testing package not only looks at your family line, but also looks at your motherline and fatherline (fatherline results only available to males, as women don’t have a Y chromosome). By looking at this detail, we can show you the speculated migration patterns of these lines, giving you a complete story of your ancestry.

  8. #58
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    firetown's Avatar
    Join Date
    27-08-11
    Posts
    409
    Points
    7,230
    Level
    25
    Points: 7,230, Level: 25
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Polish/German/Jewish/Rh-
    Country: USA - California



    The old saying goes "If the service is free, you are not the customer. You are the product". I would put some pressure on them and make sure they speed things up somewhat. Or guarantee something very special for those who help them develop their new venture.
    But then again: If you wait a little bit, they might positively surprise you. If it was me... I'd wait and see.

  9. #59
    Elite member Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-09-14
    Posts
    4,579
    Points
    65,324
    Level
    79
    Points: 65,324, Level: 79
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,126
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    W6

    Ethnic group
    Polish
    Country: Poland



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    I will discuss the update of the Polish map with them.
    Okay, thanks!

  10. #60
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Dibran's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-09-16
    Posts
    815
    Points
    13,139
    Level
    34
    Points: 13,139, Level: 34
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 211
    Overall activity: 12.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-L1029*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H11a2*-146+

    Ethnic group
    Albanian/Gheg/Dibran/Okshtun
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    I will discuss the update of the Polish map with them.
    Might also want to tell them their decision to include Kosova as a region of Serbia is pigheaded and politically charged. I already emailed them twice with no response in over a week. They really are not making themselves look good, especially with swindling everyone into submitting their raw data under the pretense ancestry breakdown would be provided.

  11. #61
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    02-03-17
    Posts
    92
    Points
    1,546
    Level
    10
    Points: 1,546, Level: 10
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 14.0%


    Country: Slovenia



    People, do not be fools. Do not share your raw DNA data with any company or project, free or non-free, who did not start working and delivering results. Never support any unfinished product. This is irresponsible for both sides.

  12. #62
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mlukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-04-17
    Posts
    222
    Points
    4,558
    Level
    19
    Points: 4,558, Level: 19
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Poland



    I think Ancestry.com has now much more interesting regions for Poland, and they are provided it now, not in the future. No Greater Poland, Tomenable will be furious:) But Masovia & Lodz ok!


  13. #63
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,331
    Points
    113,888
    Level
    100
    Points: 113,888, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    I would love to see regions based on genetic differences not modern or latest historical geopolitical concepts. Collect DNA and let algorithms determine that.
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

  14. #64
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,038
    Points
    104,330
    Level
    100
    Points: 104,330, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Just submitted my raw data file to the project.

  15. #65
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    24-02-15
    Posts
    243
    Points
    2,727
    Level
    14
    Points: 2,727, Level: 14
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 11.0%


    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    I would love to see regions based on genetic differences not modern or latest historical geopolitical concepts. Collect DNA and let algorithms determine that.
    We already know the data they provide us is nonsense because the autosomal bottlenecks should match the non-autosomal ones.

  16. #66
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    blevins13's Avatar
    Join Date
    15-10-16
    Location
    Tirana
    Age
    43
    Posts
    600
    Points
    3,136
    Level
    16
    Points: 3,136, Level: 16
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 25.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-Z2103>BY611
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H7i1

    Ethnic group
    Albanian
    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    I am excited to announce that Eupedia is teaming up with Living DNA to launch the largest genetic ancestry project to date, which will cover most of the world's countries, regions and ethnic groups. It is called the One Family One World Project (see blog post) and it aims to initially recruit 100,000 participants to analyse and map the genetic variations in the big human family. You can see the various regional projects here (click on the region's name to access the project's page). People who have already done a DNA test with another company can upload their results and take part for free.
    Sounds great, count me in....


    Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

  17. #67
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,720
    Points
    709,144
    Level
    100
    Points: 709,144, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by Dibran View Post
    Might also want to tell them their decision to include Kosova as a region of Serbia is pigheaded and politically charged. I already emailed them twice with no response in over a week. They really are not making themselves look good, especially with swindling everyone into submitting their raw data under the pretense ancestry breakdown would be provided.
    Kosovo was always listed as a separate region from Serbia. The colours were the same because the programme assigned colours randomly. They now have clearly distinct colours.

    Kosovo has now been added in the list of countries. It was an oversight of the person encoding the countries.

  18. #68
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,720
    Points
    709,144
    Level
    100
    Points: 709,144, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by mlukas View Post
    Sorry this is a hoax. They wanted to steal our rawdata for free and they give us nearly nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlukas View Post

    First of all the ETA is now August 2018 for everybody. And it was told it will be few days!

    Secondly read this!




    Maciamo, if you have any influence on them. Please tell them that we want free ethnicity estimate not matching, and not in August 2018!


    Quote Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
    If that's correct then their info is quite misleading. Here's the text after you finish your account:

    Welcome to Living DNA.


    You now have a lifetime membership where you will be able to view your ancestry breakdown in ever expanding detail.

    Once we receive your samples, our scientists will be working hard to find out where you come from. When your results are ready, you will be able to view them on this portal, which uses maps and visuals to show you as simply as possible what makes you up. You can view your map on a global, regional or sub-regional level, giving you the most detailed breakdown possible.

    As well as giving you your ancestry breakdown today, Living DNA also show you what your ancestral patterns looked like and where they came from, going back approximately 80,000 years ago, showing we are all connected at some point in history. We've also given you your own dotty avatar, a unique way to visualise your breakdown and share and compare your results with others.

    Our testing package not only looks at your family line, but also looks at your motherline and fatherline (fatherline results only available to males, as women don’t have a Y chromosome). By looking at this detail, we can show you the speculated migration patterns of these lines, giving you a complete story of your ancestry.

    I discussed this with them and participants who upload their genome should normally be offered to have their genome analysed in exchange for a small fee. However, those who do qualify for a specific region will become part of the reference population for that region, which means that their results will be mostly from that region.

  19. #69
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    taiabafa's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-08-17
    Location
    Verona
    Posts
    21
    Points
    1,798
    Level
    11
    Points: 1,798, Level: 11
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a2b2a1b-G-Z725
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H13a1a

    Country: Italy



    I've already tested with Living Dna ... to attend what do I have to do? thank you

  20. #70
    Regular Member Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points

    Join Date
    24-10-17
    Posts
    23
    Points
    109
    Level
    1
    Points: 109, Level: 1
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 44.0%


    Country: France



    Quote Originally Posted by mlukas View Post
    Sorry this is a hoax. They wanted to steal our rawdata for free and they give us nearly nothing.

    First of all the ETA is now August 2018 for everybody. And it was told it will be few days!

    Secondly read this!




    Maciamo, if you have any influence on them. Please tell them that we want free ethnicity estimate not matching, and not in August 2018!


    Course it is a scam.

    Never liked Living DNA to begin with. The customer service only recite worthless scripted responses - if you ask something beyond that scripted response they're useless - and I even got a hold of a "researcher" whose response to a question was far below what I'd expect for a "specialist".

    But this scam is beyond unprofessional.



    Worse to this scam is how they treat the response. Try asking to delete your data/profile.

    They pull a whole whack of bullshit - first about their supposed "superior than any other company" security & then they will ignore your requests to delete your profile until you are basically bombarding / shouting at customer service.

    When they do acknowledge your request the implication is whenever they get around to it they might delete your data. I have never encountered a genetic company that basically says we'll let you know when & if the deletion of your data is done. It should be, like almost every other company, near enough automatic.

    And notice how they don't have any way for you to delete it yourself.

    Update to the deleting - apparently it takes 14 business days.

  21. #71
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    srdceleva's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-06-16
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    404
    Points
    5,848
    Level
    22
    Points: 5,848, Level: 22
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-m458(L260)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4b1b1

    Ethnic group
    75% Slovak, 25℅ American mix
    Country: Slovakia



    Quote Originally Posted by mlukas View Post
    I think Ancestry.com has now much more interesting regions for Poland, and they are provided it now, not in the future. No Greater Poland, Tomenable will be furious:) But Masovia & Lodz ok!

    it is still in beta mode and sucks at the moment. My father gets a broad eastern european grouping, which consists of Poland, the czech rep., and a few slovak samples. My sister gets Czechs lol and neither my mother or me and my brother get any sort of eastern Population(though we have high eastern euro rates in our ethnicity estimate). Im excited for living dna to do better than all These generic testing companies. At least they are trying to work with People and break down populations how they should be broken down.

  22. #72
    Princess Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteranThree Friends
    davef's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-06-16
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,240
    Points
    12,089
    Level
    33
    Points: 12,089, Level: 33
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 11.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by SoloWarrior View Post
    Course it is a scam.
    Never liked Living DNA to begin with. The customer service only recite worthless scripted responses - if you ask something beyond that scripted response they're useless - and I even got a hold of a "researcher" whose response to a question was far below what I'd expect for a "specialist".
    But this scam is beyond unprofessional.
    Worse to this scam is how they treat the response. Try asking to delete your data/profile.
    They pull a whole whack of bullshit - first about their supposed "superior than any other company" security & then they will ignore your requests to delete your profile until you are basically bombarding / shouting at customer service.
    When they do acknowledge your request the implication is whenever they get around to it they might delete your data. I have never encountered a genetic company that basically says we'll let you know when & if the deletion of your data is done. It should be, like almost every other company, near enough automatic.
    And notice how they don't have any way for you to delete it yourself.
    Update to the deleting - apparently it takes 14 business days.
    14 days to perform a simple split second database query? Or are they that horribly lacking in bandwidth?
    On top of that...14 BUSINESS DAYS??? Why business days? Do servers shut down over the weekend? Am I missing something here?
    And a lot of companies are notorious for useless responses. Apple I might add is notorious for canned and overly simplistic responses from support personnel, and I remember the cheap response Jovialis received from 23andme saying (drum roll) that it's possible to have full ancestry from a particular region (oh woooow duuuuuhhhhh reaaalllyyy) as if he's a 4 year old or an imbecile

  23. #73
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Dibran's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-09-16
    Posts
    815
    Points
    13,139
    Level
    34
    Points: 13,139, Level: 34
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 211
    Overall activity: 12.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-L1029*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H11a2*-146+

    Ethnic group
    Albanian/Gheg/Dibran/Okshtun
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Kosovo was always listed as a separate region from Serbia. The colours were the same because the programme assigned colours randomly. They now have clearly distinct colours.

    Kosovo has now been added in the list of countries. It was an oversight of the person encoding the countries.
    Drop down lists it as Kosovo-Metohija, Yugoslavia. At least it did for me. Last time I checked, that is not what its part of. Again, whoever set up the site that way obviously put their political views in the mix.

  24. #74
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Dibran's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-09-16
    Posts
    815
    Points
    13,139
    Level
    34
    Points: 13,139, Level: 34
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 211
    Overall activity: 12.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-L1029*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H11a2*-146+

    Ethnic group
    Albanian/Gheg/Dibran/Okshtun
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post

    I discussed this with them and participants who upload their genome should normally be offered to have their genome analysed in exchange for a small fee. However, those who do qualify for a specific region will become part of the reference population for that region, which means that their results will be mostly from that region.
    That does not answer the question of why we were all lied to and ancestry breakdown was even pushed not only on the project page, but even in confirmation emails. Last time I checked, when you tell people they will receive one thing and you lie and back pedal once you have their DNA data, its called Fraud. They never made their intentions clear until after they had anyones DNA data, up until that point, the project page, and emails clearly stated ancestry breakdown would be provided. To falsely advertise and double back once you have what you want is FRAUD. I reckon, if they want to save face, they provide what was promised or watch their reputation go to shit.

  25. #75
    Regular Member Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Sile's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-09-11
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,119
    Points
    29,699
    Level
    52
    Points: 29,699, Level: 52
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 37.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

    Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian
    Country: Australia



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post




    I discussed this with them and participants who upload their genome should normally be offered to have their genome analysed in exchange for a small fee. However, those who do qualify for a specific region will become part of the reference population for that region, which means that their results will be mostly from that region.
    What are you trying to say in the second sentence
    có che un pòpoło no 'l defende pi ła só łéngua el xe prónto par èser s'ciavo

    when a people no longer dares to defend its language it is ripe for slavery.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •