Living DNA launching One Family One World Project in cooperation with Eupedia

Will livingDNA data be updated if we already tested? Or do I still have to upload the file to participate?

Log in to your LivingDNA account, then click Research on the left side of the page. The option to join will appear.

Maciamo if you also have influence on how Living DNA divides Germany into regions, then you can tell them that it would be good to have the island of Rügen as a separate region. That's because studies have shown that people of this island have specific distinct genetic differences from people in other parts of Germany.

Actually, populations of Rügen, Ummanz and Hiddensee are all distinct from mainland populations:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14717531

Abstract

24 haemogenetic markers (5 erythrocyte antigens, 7 polymorphisms of serum proteins, 12 polymorphisms of red cell enzymes) had been studied in 171 individuals from the island of Rügen (Germany, Baltic Sea). The cluster analysis separates clearly the Rügen sample just as the islands of Hiddensee and Ummanz from the neighbouring populations. The comparison of the data with neighboured larger populations as for instance Denmark, Hamburg or Sweden clearly results in an exceptional position of the island of Rügen. The possible reasons are discussed. (...)

Maybe "Germany's Baltic Sea Islands" should be a region of its own?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_of_Germany#Islands_of_the_Baltic_Sea

Rügen - 926 km2 and 77,000 people
Usedom (German part) - 373 km2 and 31,500 people
Fehmarn - 185 km2 and 12,467 people
Poel - 36 km2 and 2,497 people
Hiddensee - 19 km2 and 1,002 people
Ummanz - 20 km2 and 274 people
==========================
Greifswalder Oie - small island near Usedom
Dänholm - small island near Rügen
Vilm - small island near Rügen
Walfisch island - uninhabited
Langenwerder - uninhabited
Ruden - uninhabited
==========================
Total population - 125,000 people

On GEDmatch, I found a German with 37.5% of ancestry from Rügen, but not anyone with 100%:

GEDmatch kit: A687851
GEDCOM ID#: 7014712

http://i.imgur.com/xuIzbqk.png

xuIzbqk.png

There are lots of regions in Europe and the Middle East that either are or were multi-ethnic (and remember that this Project is asking about birthplaces of grandparents and great-grandparents, so it will show the genetic landscape as it was a few generations ago).

They should ask questions about identity as well, not just about geographical origins.

What about Czechia for example - Sudetenland is not a separate region in their map.

I'm part of 2 Projects - Polish and German. But there are huge delays with German Project.

I have 3 tests (I ordered a kit because I was told transfers were delayed until mid-2018):

qWTTPT1.png

There was a limit to the number of subdivisions by country, also based on size and population.

Dialetti_e_lingue_in_Italia.png

I do understand that, but there are bound to be some distortions in a country like Italy given its sub-structure and demographic history.

Unfortunately, as the map shows, political boundaries don't necessarily correlate with linguistic or "ethnic" boundaries.

The Lunigiana (the far north-west "neck" of Toscana) speaks a variant of Emiliano (although influenced by both Tuscan and Ligurian), and most of it was part of Emilian fiefs until a hundred or so years ago, but it is now politically part of Tuscany.

The so-called "Piedmont" sample used by academics doing pop gen research was taken from the Val Borbera which is now politically part of Piemonte. However, that's also a recent (last hundred years) development. The area was part of Liguria historically, as the town names indicate, and as the map shows they still speak Ligurian "dialects" there. Genetically, I would think they're actually "Ligurian", although this is an area where four provinces meet: Liguria, Piemonte, Lombardia, and Emilia.

Figure-1-Geographical-location-of-the-Val-Borbera-in-Northern-Italy-and-position-of-the.png

This is what happens when geneticists use samples that were drawn to study disease, not ancestry.

Also, for any areas where there was migration from the south, ideally the person should have all great-grandparents from the location in question, otherwise the results won't be accurate. This is especially important if the testee is rather young. In La Spezia, for example, there was migration from the south starting in the late 1800s because of the shipyards. In the Trentino a lot of southern Italians were encouraged to migrate there quite early.

Even Lazio is tricky. In part of it, the people are descendants of northern Italians who were moved there by Mussolini. On the other hand, part of Lazio used to be part of Campania.

It's complicated.

Maciamo if you also have influence on how Living DNA divides Germany into regions, then you can tell them that it would be good to have the island of Rügen as a separate region. That's because studies have shown that people of this island have specific distinct genetic differences from people in other parts of Germany.

My cooperation with Living DNA started after they had launched the German Project. I would have divided the regions differently, with more emphasis on dialects, historical boundaries and haplogroup distribution rather than the modern political divide they chose. Anyway these maps are preliminary and will be adjusted based on the data from participants.

I have joined in it. I have put my ftdna results and m awaiting for the results. I except something better than my origins 2.0, cause in my specific case, the 1.0 was better than 2.0. I guess that it is a great project. Congratulations!!!

"Thank you

Your email address has been confirmed.
In a few minutes you'll get an email with instructions on how to upload your existing raw data to us and another email to setup a customer portal account (if you don't have one already)."

But i dont get the email. Anyone else have same problem?

My cooperation with Living DNA started after they had launched the German Project. I would have divided the regions differently, with more emphasis on dialects, historical boundaries and haplogroup distribution rather than the modern political divide they chose. Anyway these maps are preliminary and will be adjusted based on the data from participants.

Yes, I suppose that ultimately they will create their own genetic clusters based on results of people with grandparents born within 80 km of each other. These regional divisions are only preliminary.

But I think that you should update Poland's regions based on my suggestions.

Will Living DNA provide detailed Y and mt DNA maps?

I assume they won't if they require you to have 4 grand parents in the same region, unless they want to make sure that they can autosomically verify that a participant is from the region they say they are from?

Yes, I suppose that ultimately they will create their own genetic clusters based on results of people with grandparents born within 80 km of each other. These regional divisions are only preliminary.

But I think that you should update Poland's regions based on my suggestions.

I will discuss the update of the Polish map with them.

Sorry this is a hoax. They wanted to steal our rawdata for free and they give us nearly nothing.

First of all the ETA is now August 2018 for everybody. And it was told it will be few days!

Secondly read this!

YJYqv3l.jpg

Maciamo, if you have any influence on them. Please tell them that we want free ethnicity estimate not matching, and not in August 2018!

Please people, stop uploading them your rawdata for free. Maybe when they will see such policy was stupid they would change their mind!

I'm certainly not going to buy their kit to see my estimate. If they thought it would attract me they were simply idiots.

I took part with my raw data/details but also can't understand what exactly they'll provide after the "Status: Awaiting testing":
- Free estimates?
- Estimates for cash?
- Nothing?

Anyone with more info?

only matches

only matches

If that's correct then their info is quite misleading. Here's the text after you finish your account:

[h=2]Welcome to Living DNA.
[/h] You now have a lifetime membership where you will be able to view your ancestry breakdown in ever expanding detail.

Once we receive your samples, our scientists will be working hard to find out where you come from. When your results are ready, you will be able to view them on this portal, which uses maps and visuals to show you as simply as possible what makes you up. You can view your map on a global, regional or sub-regional level, giving you the most detailed breakdown possible.

As well as giving you your ancestry breakdown today, Living DNA also show you what your ancestral patterns looked like and where they came from, going back approximately 80,000 years ago, showing we are all connected at some point in history. We've also given you your own dotty avatar, a unique way to visualise your breakdown and share and compare your results with others.

Our testing package not only looks at your family line, but also looks at your motherline and fatherline (fatherline results only available to males, as women don’t have a Y chromosome). By looking at this detail, we can show you the speculated migration patterns of these lines, giving you a complete story of your ancestry.

The old saying goes "If the service is free, you are not the customer. You are the product". I would put some pressure on them and make sure they speed things up somewhat. Or guarantee something very special for those who help them develop their new venture.
But then again: If you wait a little bit, they might positively surprise you. If it was me... I'd wait and see.

I will discuss the update of the Polish map with them.

Might also want to tell them their decision to include Kosova as a region of Serbia is pigheaded and politically charged. I already emailed them twice with no response in over a week. They really are not making themselves look good, especially with swindling everyone into submitting their raw data under the pretense ancestry breakdown would be provided.

This thread has been viewed 66621 times.

Back