Is modern liberalism killing Halloween?

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Is nothing sacred anymore? :)

I just noticed this opinion piece by Razib Khan on a note he received from the school his children attend?

http://www.razib.com/wordpress/

New Halloween rules.PNG

OK, no weapons is a no-brainer.

However, where is the common sense in the no facsimile of a weapon rule? No kid should be part of the ghost busters' team? What about a light saber? You can't be a knight either, I guess, or a pirate, or at least not with a sword. No caveman with a club, no cowboys with pistols on their hips and on and on...

No masks? That's part of the fun of Halloween, for goodness sakes'. Anyone really think there are a lot of eight year old terrorists on watch lists in the U.S. who need to wear a mask?

The "no cultural appropriation" nonsense really irritates me. So, my daughter (really I as the responsible party) was doing something inappropriate by dressing up as Jasmine and Pocahontas? Those were her favorite Disney characters. If anything, we were celebrating them.

Obviously, no one should be dressing up as "Sambo". That's what I meant about common sense.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with the bright idea that little girls shouldn't dress up as Disney princesses because it encourages non-existent gender differences. I have news for these people: the science is clear that there are indeed ingrained gender differences, like it or not. I've known parents who ban all toy weapons in their house. It doesn't work. If you don't let little boys have a light saber they'll make one out of a stick. You have to teach responsibility, and sensitivity, not pretend that the physical aggression isn't there.

There is also a lack of understanding, imo, that the "scary" costumes and mythology serve a psychological purpose. It's a way of "domesticating" very real, perhaps ingrained fears.

When I came to this country one of my favorite things was going to the Saturday matinees, which in our small town served a double bill of horror movies, and where kids got a very reduced price. :) I assure you that I can't think of anyone less physically aggressive or sociopathic or psychopathic than I am. If some people really have a pathology they don't need those movies, and if they don't, the movies won't harm them. I still like a good scare, although not the gory movies like the Friday the 13th ones.

I'm just grateful I don't have to raise young children now; I'd be in the principal's and School Board's office all the time.

Last edited:
Yeah and I bet if a kid gets bored in class and is caught doodling a picture of a gun in his notebook, there will soon be a cop car in the parking lot.

TBH I think all these rules and regulations are part of the reasons why kids are suffering various mental health issues at alarming rates, I couldn't imagine growing up with all of these fun spoiling rules, not to mention having to constantly think my words or actions through out of fear of saying something that may be interpreted as "racist" or "violent" and receiving detention.

Pretty soon people are only going to be able to dress up as vegetables or inanimate objects. :)

These are the favorite costumes this year, for both children and adults. I guess people in most of the country are resisting this kind of control:

Most popular costumes for children:
1. Action/superhero
2. Batman character
3. Princess
4. Animal (cat, dog, monkey)
5. Spider-Man
6. Star Wars character
7. Witch
8. Marvel Superhero (excluding Spider-Man)
9. Pirate
10. Disney Princess
Most popular costumes for adults:
1. Witch
2. Batman character (Batman, Catwoman, Harley Quinn, etc.)
3. Animal (cat, dog, etc.)
4. Pirate
5. Marvel Superhero (Spider-Man, Captain America, etc.)
6. Vampire
7. Zombie
8. DC Superhero (excluding Batman and Wonder Woman)
9. Star Wars character
10. Slasher movie villain
11. Wonder Woman

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2017/09/21/2017-most-popular-halloween-costumes-kids-and-adults/688143001/

In the interests of full disclosure, my club would often have a Halloween dinner dance. We've gone as Frankenstein and his bride, Dracula and his victim (I did a white theatrical make up for my face, and very realistic bite marks and blood droplets on my neck with a special kit), a 1920s gangster and his moll, The Phantom couple, Bonnie and Clyde, Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, complete with "blood" on my hands, witch and warlock etc. I also went as Elvira once. Freaked out some people who thought they knew me! All great fun: a lot of people still like to play dress up.

Does anyone else notice how ironically racist it is to disallow someone from dressing up as someone else of a different background? Yes, wearing black face is taking it far, but if a white child wants to go as Bruce Lee, what's the issue? Again, it's only an issue if he attempts to modify his eyes to "look Chinese".

Simply, schools are getting more educated (pun intended), how to avoid problems, like parents complaining, kids playing wars and running like crazy, generally more work and potential liability lawsuits. Some idea as no running and rubber playgrounds in school.

I personally never understood the infatuation with gor, dead people and scaring each other. Well, for the same reasons I don't watch horror movies.

I don't mind costume parties though. :)

I had Halloween costumes of the old sort at my school, both my children had them at their schools, from kindergarten through high school in their cases, and there was no "war", no mayhem, no nothing. It just didn't happen.

Plus, a blonde haired Caucasian little girl wearing a Jasmine costume is not going to cause anything except oohs and ahs at how cute she looks, and the same goes for a little boy who is dressed up like a Ghost Buster or a Jedi Knight. To my knowledge none of the parents ever complained about anything like this.

Sorry, it won't wash, imo. This is all just PC run amok. There's absolutely no common sense involved.

They don't notice any difference in color or race but let's force it on them? Let's make them see group identity before individuals? Not my kids.

image_0c460f6e.jpeg

l_010b4780-633f-11e2-85ee-ef8d25600011.jpg

Last edited:
I had Halloween costumes of the old sort at my school, both my children had them at their schools, from kindergarten through high school in their cases, and there was no "war", no mayhem, no nothing. It just didn't happen.

Plus, a blonde haired Caucasian little girl wearing a Jasmine costume is not going to cause anything except oohs and ahs at how cute she looks, and the same goes for a little boy who is dressed up like a Ghost Buster or a Jedi Knight. To my knowledge none of the parents ever complained about anything like this.

Sorry, it won't wash, imo. This is all just PC run amok. There's absolutely no common sense involved.
Yeah and i used to play a ton of violent games, I loved squirt guns and other toy guns, and swinging toy swords around. Most (save for the select few who were born sick) gamers who get enjoyment out of shooting a virtual character in a video game would never shoot an actual, innocent person in real life bc obviously who wants that on your conscience plus the legal consequences? I killed enough virtual characters throughout my gaming history to win the envy of genghis khan and I don't regret it one bit.

I love Halloween, I have almost as many decorations for Halloween as I do for Christmas. I have 2nd generations coming to my house and telling me they don't live here but remember how fun (and scary) my front yard was. With little ones, I sit down with them and show them how the animated characters work and let them see under the cloth that they are all pretend.

I also think it's wrong to force racism on a child. When I was young, I always wanted to be an 'Indian Princess' (Amerind) and would braid my hair and wear a feather. All of my brothers and sisters and I would cheer for the Indians when we watched those shows. And Tonto... he was the coolest ever.

I don't believe kids should watch 'horror movies'. I also don't believe scary costumes serve any purpose. Many cultures do not have similar traditions.

Only the part about 'representing other ethnicities' would annoy me.

Concerning toy weapons I personally think that males learn to prefer toys for males and vice versa. This is my personal experience at least.

I had for example 'Action Man' action figures but I liked Barbie dolls equally or more and I also knew what was socially expected, so I wouldn't ask my parents buy me a toy 'for females'.

Furthermore, gender differences are much less prominent before puberty.

I went out with friends to a few clubs over the weekend, and I was surprised they didn't allow masks either. We had to leave our weapons at the door. Which I guess is understandable, since some knuckle-heads may probably start beating each other with them.

Growing up, Halloween was awesome, I feel bad for kids these days. I especially liked going to school dressed up, and even won a contest in kindergarten. I was a skeleton, which worked well, since I was a lanky-skinny kid.

these guys were a few days early for halloween
any they were criticised for being racest toward black and asian people

these political correct people have lost all credibility

so do these guys on the pics, they removed the pics from the internet because of the critics

In Australia , we had halloween last night and I have noticed that the Americanised version of it seems to be fading here year after year and a more Irish/gaelic/celtic form ( which is the original halloween ) is gaining in strength. Costumes are a mix of vampiric, gothic, forest elves, nature etc themes

Gaelic halloween represents the end of harvest and the beginning of winter in Europe. In Australia we are stuck between 2 versions.

As a moderate leftist and a liberal I consider the postmodern "progressivism" to be absolutely cancerous.

It's good to be brown. :grin: People can actually lose their mind over an atom.
Yes, liberalism is actually killing the society.

As a moderate leftist and a liberal I consider the postmodern "progressivism" to be absolutely cancerous.
I used to think I was very liberal until more and more news items/articles popped up such as the topic of this thread. I know racism isn't a good thing, but what people call racist these days baffles me, such as dressing as someone not of your own background.

And I doubt most people would feel offended seeing a non-middle eastern girl dressed as Jasmine.

For anyone coming to New York who likes horror themed things, there's the Jekyl and Hyde Restaurant for "haunted dining". Those kinds of restaurants are not my thing, but my daughter went there for one of her "teen" birthdays and really liked it.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...d=0ahUKEwiahLP5qJvXAhXE7CYKHXyyCfUQoioIkgEwDg

For trick or treating, anyway, parents seem to be ignoring it.

halloween-trick-treat-kids-reno-Getty-Images.jpg

shutterstock_314268092.jpg

My goodness, don't they look traumatized!

Trunk-or-Treat-in-the-Park-Calabash-NC.jpg

Adult parties the week-end before are still a big thing, apparently, and some of the costumes are outrageously good.
2016-latino-halloween-parties-in-bay-area-2.jpg

@Homunculous,
It just infuriates people and drives them in the other direction politically because it's so stupid. The whole snowflake college scene with their "triggers" and their refusal to allow anyone to express an opposite opinion is just the worst. There's a reason why donations to colleges and universities are down.

For anyone coming to New York who likes horror themed things, there's the Jekyl and Hyde Restaurant for "haunted dining". Those kinds of restaurants are not my thing, but my daughter went there for one of her "teen" birthdays and really liked it.
Ahaha the Jekyl and Hyde Restaurant, awful food but an interesting experience

This thread has been viewed 19053 times.

Back