Phoenician tin trade in Cornwall?

frankishwarrior

Reaction score
I've read about this suggestion. Even that the Phoenicians/Caananites contributed to the Cornish gene pool to some extent historically. Any evidence for this?

I've read about this suggestion. Even that the Phoenicians/Caananites contributed to the Cornish gene pool to some extent historically. Any evidence for this?

That would be highly unlikely as the Phoenicians were known to be mostly traders and not invaders with any intention for settlement, especially in the case of Cornwall.

All of that speculation is based on the cluster of E-V13 in Wales.

I have no idea how it got there. Various speculations have been put forth, from traders from the Mediterranean to Roman soldiers.

The Roman soldiers are the preferred cause according to Stephen Bird. I wonder if he's a Mediterraneanist too? :)

See:
http://www.jogg.info/pages/32/bird.htm

As to the tin trade, this Wiki article isn't bad...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining_in_Cornwall_and_Devon

If they ever nail down the specific sub-clades they might come closer to figuring it out, or if they get lucky and find an ancient sample which carries it.

All of that speculation is based on the cluster of E-V13 in Wales.

I have no idea how it got there. Various speculations have been put forth, from traders from the Mediterranean to Roman soldiers.

The Roman soldiers are the preferred cause according to Stephen Bird. I wonder if he's a Mediterraneanist too? :)

See:
http://www.jogg.info/pages/32/bird.htm

As to the tin trade, this Wiki article isn't bad...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining_in_Cornwall_and_Devon

If they ever nail down the specific sub-clades they might come closer to figuring it out, or if they get lucky and find an ancient sample which carries it.

it's not even sure the Phoenicians were E-V13, probably not

the direct trade with Phoenicians sailing to Cornwall is a myth

it's not even sure the Phoenicians were E-V13, probably not

the direct trade with Phoenicians sailing to Cornwall is a myth

[h=2]High point: 1200–800 BC[/h]Fernand Braudel remarked in The Perspective of the World that Phoenicia was an early example of a "world-economy" surrounded by empires. The high point of Phoenician culture and sea power is usually placed c. 1200–800 BC. Archaeological evidence consistent with this understanding has been difficult to identify. A unique concentration in Phoenicia of silver hoards dated between 1200 and 800 BC, however, contains hacksilver with lead isotope ratios matching ores in Sardinia and Spain.[34] This metallic evidence agrees with the biblical memory of a western Mediterranean Tarshish that supplied Solomon with silver via Phoenicia, during the latter's heyday (see 'trade', below).[35]

Assyrian warship (probably built by Phoenicians) with two rows of oars, relief from Nineveh, c. 700 BC​

Many of the most important Phoenician settlements had been established long before this: Byblos, Tyre in South Lebanon, Sidon, Simyra, Arwad, and Berytus, the capital of Lebanon, all appear in the Amarna tablets.

How about spain thats over half way :)
What if solomon/Siamon was a hyksos pharoah whos family are originally from lebanon ?
Irish history Settlers from lebanon arrived via sardinia and spain and were semetic ?

I dont see whats so hard to believe that one family could not traverse in and out of mutiple
cultures and empires spanning many thousands of years. Taking Ships, Trade and high
Technology with them. Thats why you cant find them, they were on ships.

Search for "Bell Beaker Culture" online. So far as I know, they were the only ancient culture known to have been extracting tin from Cornwall. But they also predated the Phoenicians. I think various people have imagined a connection, but at this point the connection is just that: imagined.

This thread has been viewed 5619 times.

Back