I was mistaken: the steppe warriors rode sirens

The sword you have posted, berun, does not belong to the El Argar culture

BTW the elite burials in El Argar were in cists under tumuli -
under tumuli? how that if the cist where placed under the floor of their homes?

El Argar swords are older, but they're made of arsenical copper, not bronze.

El Argar survived till 1400. The sword was made with copper, it is in the file of the museum where it's exhibited.

El Argar survived till 1400. The sword was made with copper, it is in the file of the museum where it's exhibited.

if it is just copper, not bronze, it is useless in battle, it is just for parade

under tumuli? how that if the cist where placed under the floor of their homes?
Sorry Berun I made a medley, maybe, by too much shorting; here under translation of Jacques BRIARD in my bad english:
"the buryings, now, are often individual inhumations under tumulus - sometimes double: mother and child or husband and wife, united in eternity as during life - where the corpses are sprinkled with ocre, very long lasting rite. In the tumulus center, skeletons are buried into pits or little coffers 85cm of length for the biggest ones, what implies a strange gymnastic to push/force the poor corpses into them. Never the term of "forced position" will be so justified.
But it's worst in another rite, more widespread: inhumation in jars. The dead person was pushed, as it came, its head afore, in a big egg-shape urn 40 to 70 cm of height, with funerary offerings..." (jars: an Eastern Mediterranean rite, but known at low level in Unetice)
it could prove the funerary habits were not uniform and that different elites could have met there during this culture genesis? Changes of supremacy??? Jars from South-East, Tumuli from North or Northwest? only lowcost bets of mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Argar

versus

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilizaci%C3%B3n_mic%C3%A9nica

It is possible that "El Argar" has influenced the Mycenaean civilization?, because if we look at the chronology:

Argar beginning: 2200 before Christ.
Mycenaean beginning: 1600 before Christ.

I do not think so, but neither did the Mycenaean civilization influence "El Argar".

That there have been commercial and even cultural exchanges? in the safe Mediterranean, in the epoch in which they coexisted, but of course the "Arg?rica" culture in 600 years before the Mycenaean.

I'm sorry for my English, I say my English, what Google translates from my Spanish and I hope that what I say is understood, although I'm not sure.

I already believe that I am understanding the Indo-European within this puzzle that is the Iberian Peninsula, now it is about revealing the mystery of the theoretically non-Indo-European areas and with more R1b of the branch theoretically coming from the steppe, starting from the south, the Tartessian Is it Celtic or is it not ?, following the east and northeast of the Iberian-Basque-Aquitanian, when the wise in the matter will be able to unveil this mystery? for the moment I do not see answers to this mystery.

Last edited:
@MOESAN

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-P9zTZc5e-DI/UPgor6u-CJI/AAAAAAAAA4E/ZdBEVYAB5Os/s1600/P1010211.JPG

surely it is a bad interpretation by the author, it's not logic to make a tumulus in your floor.

The tradition of jar burials was in use in Anatolia, surely by people with CHG admixture. So Argar burials could be a casual convergence or a fashion that spread with cists and after some centuries it was majoritary.

I doubt this author made so a mistake, so i rather think that some variance was among El Argar burials as already mentioned (timing?) - a precise survey can focuse on a very spotty settlement and not to be representative of the whole? I don't know, I need more readings about it. I don't put your proper affirmation ni doubt.

Relaciones Mediterráneas de la Cultura de El Argar by HERMANFRID SCHUBART is online, I don't know if there is a more up to date similar paper.

OK Berun, I 'll read. Thanks

@Berun
I red it. If I understood correctly, the first El Argar center had rather sepultures in Pithos, so big urns, with the head in the bottom of it, contrary to other pithos tradition of Creta, by instance; and not in external necropole but among the population.
And in this frist center, there were no tumulus; tumuli were found rather more in North like in San Antôn de Orihuela, closer to Valencia, with dubious datations?
and the western zone (Granada) had kept on with ancient modes of burying, before adoption of urns in later phases?
The closer burying ways would have been found in Continental Greece, and not in Creta or in Sicilia, though in Greece there were occurrences of pithos under tumuli sometimes, what was not the case in the very Center of propragation of El Argar?
Where does this dark brown almost undecorated pottery come from? Were there not something like that in Greece at some time of History, replacing more beautiful pottery? I'm rather poor concerning archeology...
&: Valencia region could have been, IMO, an entry spot for some of the Y-R1b (L51/L11?) at some point; could it have had a concern with the tumuli there around those times? Only questions.

I think because Kura-Araxes migrating in north-western ( Balkans ) direction at the same time indo-european migrating from balkans to anatolia might skewd our perception of the migration processus. Because Kura-Araxes and their siblings used cremation, we would never found a lot about the migration process but likely Yamnaya -> R1b -> Indo-Europeans / Kura-Araxes -> J2 -> Something maybe first anatolian iron age.

This thread has been viewed 51555 times.

Back