Balkan Turks Autosomal DNA

Tested my parents with 23andme.
My dad, with both parents Balkan Turks, got 99% Balkan.
My mom, with one Balkan Turk and one Anatolian parent, got 49% Balkan, 18% Italian, 16% West Asian and a bunch of other stuff.

It seems many Turks in Balkans and Anatolia in Ottoman era were just Muslim locals.

Not always. It is easy to test. Check the Siberian admixture. My Mums(West Anatolia) has 8% Siberian admixture in Eurogenes K13 EU. But my dad(Central Bulgaria)has 3% and Normal Bulgarian has less then 0,5%, so there should be some Anatolian effects in my dad.

But your dad could be local as you said. Do you have gedmatch number for him?

Can anyone explain me what kind of Turks the east Bulgarians were? Especially in Yambol. My paternal lineage seems to come from east bulgaria and i wonder if they are Gagauz or Tatar but i dont have much knowledge in Bulgarian turks.
My Y-DNA is I2a1b. Yes, it’s mostly found in slavs but I swear my paternal ancestors look nothing like slavs. They look Middle eastern (even I have dark features even though I’m 95 european, 5% sephardic jew)

Most of the Balkan Turks should be locals, genetically wise. However the Ottoman Empire and the Byzantines before them did move people around when tax revenue from a particular area fell because of war, famine or disease.

This thread has been viewed 21417 times.

Back