Balkan Turks Autosomal DNA

when I was traveling Bulgaria, before a decade
a historian friend told me many about cities, and ethnicities,
that is why I was surprised about Razgrad,
He told me about Arab or Armenian background
Bulgarian Turks live in the North East part of the country Razgrad and Shumen and Turgoviste regions where they are more or less 50% of the population and no Arabs at all, also off course they live in South Bulgaria: Kardzhali and Haskovo region as for Kazanluk it is about 6% Turks. The centres of Bulgarian Turks are Razgrad and Kurdzhali regions , Kaznaluk not at all, and no Arabs in Bulgaria, except recent :)

I am from Turkey, with three grandparents originally from Balkans.

I did 23andme test:
87% Balkan
8% Italian
4% broadly Southern European
0.5% Middle Eastern and North African
0.2% Yakut

I expected a more diverse mix. I was surprised there was no Eastern European and very little middle eastern. I suppose Eastern European in 23andme coincides with Northern Slavic. Not sure how come the Turkish grandparent didn’t pass on to me any middle eastern. It is what it is.

GEDmatch didn’t add anything, top matches with various algorithms were Greek, Bulgarian, and Italian.

So I think most Balkan Turks may be more Balkan than Eastern European, similar to Greeks and Bulgars.
Balkan is Eastern European :)

What does British Usles descent mean? It is much clearer when Y DNA haplogroups are pointed out. Does not one carry only one Y DNA haplogroup? How are all those % of different areas calculated? The peoples in South East Europe are the first people in Europe and more or less the same but have become different in time due to various different influences. Most Turks in South East Europe are in fact Turkified locals.

How are %calculated!!!

It is much clearer when Y DNA haplogroups are pointed out. Does not one carry only one Y DNA haplogroup? How are all those % of different areas calculated? The peoples in South East Europe are the first people in Europe and more or less the same but have become different in time due to various different influences. Most Turks in South East Europe are in fact Turkified locals. Look up the 23 and Me BALKan admixture and I2a1 y dna haplogroup distribution maps online!!!

Have you seen the Y DNA correlation between South-Eastern Europeans matching the 23 and Me BALKan admixture and I2a1 & E-v13 Y DNA haplogroups distribution maps? All in South East Europe are more less the same but diverse now due to different CULTURAL practices in time. First People = Thracian = Sklaveni = BuLGars/ BuRGars = Hellenized = Latinized = Tukified.

What does British Usles descent mean? It is much clearer when Y DNA haplogroups are pointed out. Does not one carry only one Y DNA haplogroup? How are all those % of different areas calculated? The peoples in South East Europe are the first people in Europe and more or less the same but have become different in time due to various different influences. Most Turks in South East Europe are in fact Turkified locals.

I took 23andMe as well. I am going to share my results. My Y-DNA is R1a-CTS3402 (or R1a1a1b1a2b3). This one is Slavic, so it is not native to Balkans. I guess, I get 10% British Isles because of mine Celto-Thracian ancestors. However, I have 0% in 23andMe.

This is my father (all known ancestry is form Bulgaria, all mostly just one town)

Southeast European 35%
East European 28%
Iberian 8%
Asia Minor 17%
Sephardic 5%
Northeast Asia 4%
Central Asia 3%

Trace Results
Siberia <1%
Oceania <1%
West Middle East <1%

Because of his East European Y-haplogroup, I thought East European percent would be more.

Is there any Balkan Turks with significant West Med structure?
Is it possible that FTDNA balloon Jew Structure or mix it with West Middle East/Levant Structure ?

I can't be sure because my mom has over 10% Jew results and our Jew family friends have approved that she looks like Jews, so maybe results are true. Any Thought?

* 55% West Asian(*** Turkey)
* 40% Balkan with no dots on anything.

But I know for a fact my fathers mothers mothers mother was from Kazanlak. I have 0 information about that, but am super curious.
The only theory I have is that she probably emigrated with her family to the Ottoman empire/Turkey around the time of the April uprising in Bulgaria(1870s).

So were mine interesting

* 55% West Asian(*** Turkey)
* 40% Balkan with no dots on anything.

But I know for a fact my fathers mothers mothers mother was from Kazanlak. I have 0 information about that, but am super curious.
The only theory I have is that she probably emigrated with her family to the Ottoman empire/Turkey around the time of the April uprising in Bulgaria(1870s).

One more Kazanlakian.

Good theory. 1877-1878 Ottomon- Russia War

Results don't like she had any Turkic structure, it is possible that she had Slav background. But this is just my idea

I took 23andMe as well. I am going to share my results. My Y-DNA is R1a-CTS3402 (or R1a1a1b1a2b3). This one is Slavic, so it is not native to Balkans. I guess, I get 10% British Isles because of mine Celto-Thracian ancestors. However, I have 0% in 23andMe.
It is wrong to call R1a Slavic. More correct would be to call it Aryan (which means BRiGht, for example in BuLGarian/ BuRGarian - yarək, Ukrainian/ the Old Rusyn - yary). Southern Slavs have a more I2a1 & E-v13 than R1a. For example BuLGarians/ BuRGarians have 44% E-v13 & I2a1 compared to 17% R1a. It seems the Southern Slavs and BuLGarians/ BuRGarians are descendents of The Fisrt People in South east Europe/ BaLKans + Ukraine who were not Hellenized, Romanized or Turkified and dissociated as Albanians. So you know R1a was found at the Varna Necropolis in BuLGaria along with T1 and I2a1 which was dated about 8000 years old.

One more Kazanlakian.

Good theory. 1877-1878 Ottomon- Russia War

Results don't like she had any Turkic structure, it is possible that she had Slav background. But this is just my idea

Yeah either she was a Turk-Bulgarian hence from my 55% West asia or she was slavic contributing further to my 40% Balkan. I will never know, but I would love more info about Kazanlak if anyone more has stories from there or such.

Edit: I have another ancestor from "Boğdoğa" according to official documents, but I have NO clue where the hell that is. I think somewhere in Macedonia, but I could be wrong.

It is wrong to call R1a Slavic. More correct would be to call it Aryan (which means BRiGht, for example in BuLGarian/ BuRGarian - yarək, Ukrainian/ the Old Rusyn - yary). Southern Slavs have a more I2a1 & E-v13 than R1a. For example BuLGarians/ BuRGarians have 44% E-v13 & I2a1 compared to 17% R1a. It seems the Southern Slavs and BuLGarians/ BuRGarians are descendents of The Fisrt People in South east Europe/ BaLKans + Ukraine who were not Hellenized, Romanized or Turkified and dissociated as Albanians. So you know R1a was found at the Varna Necropolis in BuLGaria along with T1 and I2a1 which was dated about 8000 years old.

R1a is Aryan as you said but my subclade is common among Poles and Western Ukrainians. That makes sense because Slavs established Bulgarian Khaganete in whole Bulgaria in 7th century. As you said, Bulgarians are predominantly Balkan native people, Thracians. But Slavic effect is visible on Bulgarian people. I am not Bulgarian speaker but genetically I am more Balkan native. My Slavic side most likely from Poland or Ukraine. 23andMe give me most accurate result.
European91.6%

Balkan69.5%

Bulgaria

Italian6.8%

Eastern European5.5%

Broadly Southern European7.5%

Broadly European2.3%

Western Asian & North African6.5%

Western Asian5.7%

Turkey

Broadly Western Asian & North African0.8%

East Asian & Native American0.5%

Siberian0.3%

Broadly East Asian0.3%

Unassigned1.4%

I got 5 dots for Bulgaria, 1 dot for Romania, Greece and Turkey.

My relatives are predominantly Balkan people, South Slavs and Slavs.

This is my father (all known ancestry is form Bulgaria, all mostly just one town)

Southeast European 35%
East European 28%
Iberian 8%
Asia Minor 17%
Sephardic 5%
Northeast Asia 4%
Central Asia 3%

Trace Results
Siberia <1%
Oceania <1%
West Middle East <1%

Because of his East European Y-haplogroup, I thought East European percent would be more.

Is there any Balkan Turks with significant West Med structure?
Is it possible that FTDNA balloon Jew Structure or mix it with West Middle East/Levant Structure ?

I can't be sure because my mom has over 10% Jew results and our Jew family friends have approved that she looks like Jews, so maybe results are true. Any Thought?

Does your father have any parents from Thessaloniki? As far as I know, Sephardic Jews resettled in Thessaloniki during Ottoman Empire. Can you also share his Gedmatch results?

FTDNA tends to assign small Ashkenazi (or currently Sephardic) % anywhere they detect Balkan+EasternEurope+AsiaMinor...and so does AncestryDNA.
More than half of the population of Thessaloniki was Sephardic Jewish in the beginning of XX century...

Does your father have any parents from Thessaloniki? As far as I know, Sephardic Jews resettled in Thessaloniki during Ottoman Empire. Can you also share his Gedmatch results?

Bulgaria also has Jew Culture, Kazanlak has Jewish cemetery.

But all his parents from Turkish villages from South of Kazanlık, that is all I know. they all have muslim names.

Which Gedmatch results are you interested in? View attachment 10341

I may agree @td120, maybe FTDNA tends to assign Jew structure. Maybe it is just because of their sample pool

My maternal grandfather has Albanian-Bosnian heritage and this never shows up on gedmatch calculators, I never score any Balkan but I score Italian and Greek on some calculators.I mostly get score from my father's y-dna (Northern Kurd) and my mother's mtdna (Circassian/Adyghe).

Bt

Tested my parents with 23andme.
My dad, with both parents Balkan Turks, got 99% Balkan.
My mom, with one Balkan Turk and one Anatolian parent, got 49% Balkan, 18% Italian, 16% West Asian and a bunch of other stuff.

It seems many Turks in Balkans and Anatolia in Ottoman era were just Muslim locals.

Tested my parents with 23andme. My dad, with both parents Balkan Turks, got 99% Balkan. My mom, with one Balkan Turk and one Anatolian parent, got 49% Balkan, 18% Italian, 16% West Asian and a bunch of other stuff. It seems many Turks in Balkans and Anatolia in Ottoman era were just Muslim locals.

That is true. In Bosnia, in the past, the term Turk was a synonym for Muslim. Even the Slavic Muslims were called "Turks".

This thread has been viewed 21411 times.

Back