AbdoNumen

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Mountain Jew
Y-DNA haplogroup
E-Z21420
mtDNA haplogroup
J2b1
Living DNA is one of the only companies that breaks down the Middle East into components. As there are many Europe-centric results, I thought some people would be interested in seeing results from a non-European.

As far as I know, I am 100% Mountain Jewish from the Caucasus. Both of my parents were born in the republic of Dagestan. All my great-grandparents were Mountain Jews who were likely born within ~40 mi of each other.

[Once I reach 10 posts I'll upload images]

Complete View - Regional

Europe
Europe (South) - 49.2%
[Italy colored]

Near East

Levant - 24.9%
North Turkey - 8.5%
Iran - 5.2%

Asia (South)
Sindh - 8.1%
Indian subcontinent - 1.4%
Pashtun - 1.1%

Asia (Central)
Chechnya - 1.5%

A few (biased) observations:
  • The ~50% European is obviously a gross exaggeration, although I don't reject it outright. I do share 0.10-0.11% DNA with Italians on 23andMe.
  • The higher North Turkey percentage than Iranian is surprising, since the oral tradition among the community says that we came to the Caucasus from Persia (as evidenced by our Judeo-Persian tongue).
  • The low Chechnya number (which encompasses Dagestan on the map) is also noted, showing little admixture with the host population.
  • The Indian/Sindh admixture is a bit of a mystery to me. FTDNA also shows 6% South Central Asian. However, the "Cautious" view displays the same admixture as "Blochistan-related". If that is the case, then it's possible that both our groups had ancestors in Iran or even Syria, as Baloch lore claim Western origins.

Living DNA is one of the only companies that breaks down the Middle East into components. As there are many Europe-centric results, I thought some people would be interested in seeing results from a non-European.

As far as I know, I am 100% Mountain Jewish from the Caucasus. Both of my parents were born in the republic of Dagestan. All my great-grandparents were Mountain Jews who were likely born within ~40 mi of each other.

[Once I reach 10 posts I'll upload images]

Complete View - Regional

Europe
Europe (South) - 49.2%
[Italy colored]

Near East

Levant - 24.9%
North Turkey - 8.5%
Iran - 5.2%

Asia (South)
Sindh - 8.1%
Indian subcontinent - 1.4%
Pashtun - 1.1%

Asia (Central)
Chechnya - 1.5%

A few (biased) observations:
  • The ~50% European is obviously a gross exaggeration, although I don't reject it outright. I do share 0.10-0.11% DNA with Italians on 23andMe.
  • The higher North Turkey percentage than Iranian is surprising, since the oral tradition among the community says that we came to the Caucasus from Persia (as evidenced by our Judeo-Persian tongue).
  • The low Chechnya number (which encompasses Dagestan on the map) is also noted, showing little admixture with the host population.
  • The Indian/Sindh admixture is a bit of a mystery to me. FTDNA also shows 6% South Central Asian. However, the "Cautious" view displays the same admixture as "Blochistan-related". If that is the case, then it's possible that both our groups had ancestors in Iran or even Syria, as Baloch lore claim Western origins.

Interesting results, do you mind posting your 23andme?

23andMe just lumps together all of the Middle East into one population. So I'm getting:

Middle Eastern - 95.7%
Italian - 3.4%
Ashkenazi Jewish - 0.2%
Broadly European - 0.6%

But I don't think these results are reliable, because they changed drastically after phasing (adding father and paternal grandmother):

Middle Eastern - 93.2%
North African - 0.8%
Balkan - 0.5%
Broadly Southern European - 0.4%
Ashkenazi Jewish - 0.8%
Broadly European - 0.9%

This thread has been viewed 5167 times.

Back