North-Central Italian Bronze Age invasion of South Italy and the Sea Peoples

ok, Corsica seems mixed in the Bronze Age, they built nuraghe-like structures but used Apenninic ceramics.

First input is Sardinian (Bonnanaro like pottery) followed by a stronger relationship with Central Italy (Apenninic culture)

A link with the Sea Peoples (Sherden) is probably witnessed by the menhir statue of Filitosa

http://i0.wp.com/www.salimbeti.com/micenei/images/seapeoples23.jpg?w=620

Precisely, those menhir statues are quite intriguing both because of their keen similarity with the attire of the sea peoples depicted at Medinet Habu in the famous Nile Delta scene and because they're found not to far from a place called Sartene, it's very eerie.

800px-Filitosa_VI_tiarescott_2004.jpg

0*tqHb3EnlBkWkFIQx.jpg

0*7TMAEMOivP5rYOYI.jpg

DSC03950.jpg

Compare it to to the Egyptian relief, and keep in mind that the Filitosa menhir statues used to have horns:

sea_battle.jpg

And they're also dated to roughly the same period

sea-peoples1.png

The Luwian inscription about the sea peoples invading the Levant turned out to be a hoax: https://www.livescience.com/61989-famed-archaeologist-created-fakes.html

"[FONT=&quot]n 1995, Mellaart wrote to Zangger about several inscriptions, supposedly from a Turkish village called Beyköy, that were written in [/FONT]an ancient language called Luwian[FONT=&quot]. Mellaart claimed that he could not read or write Luwian but that he was planning to describe his finding in a scientific publication. Mellaart had mentioned the inscriptions briefly in an article he published in 1992 in the Bulletin of the Anglo-Israel Archaeological Society journal.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]hould the Beyköy inscriptions not be fully published before his death, researchers should publish them for him. Zangger, along with Fred Woudhuizen, an independent researcher, took up the project and published details about one lengthy inscription in December, in the journal Proceedings of the Dutch Archaeological and Historical Society. That inscription supposedly dates back 3,200 years and tells of a Trojan prince named Muksus. Some scholars suspected it could be a forgery.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It now appears that many, if not all, of the unpublished inscriptions are forgeries, Zangger said, noting that he can't be totally certain that the inscription published in December was completely made up. The documents found in Mellaart's apartment show that far from being unable to read Luwian, Mellaart was skilled in the ancient language, Zangger said. Zangger said he feels betrayed by the fact that Mellaart asked researchers to publish his forgeries for him after his death. "I feel abused," Zangger said. Correspondence found in his apartment indicate that Mellaart tried to get others interested in publishing the forgeries before he died, Zangger said, adding that "he had no scruples when it came to harming other people's careers."[/FONT]

The Luwian inscription about the sea peoples invading the Levant turned out to be a hoax: https://www.livescience.com/61989-famed-archaeologist-created-fakes.html

"[FONT=&quot]n 1995, Mellaart wrote to Zangger about several inscriptions, supposedly from a Turkish village called Beyköy, that were written in [/FONT]an ancient language called Luwian[FONT=&quot]. Mellaart claimed that he could not read or write Luwian but that he was planning to describe his finding in a scientific publication. Mellaart had mentioned the inscriptions briefly in an article he published in 1992 in the Bulletin of the Anglo-Israel Archaeological Society journal.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]hould the Beyköy inscriptions not be fully published before his death, researchers should publish them for him. Zangger, along with Fred Woudhuizen, an independent researcher, took up the project and published details about one lengthy inscription in December, in the journal Proceedings of the Dutch Archaeological and Historical Society. That inscription supposedly dates back 3,200 years and tells of a Trojan prince named Muksus. Some scholars suspected it could be a forgery.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It now appears that many, if not all, of the unpublished inscriptions are forgeries, Zangger said, noting that he can't be totally certain that the inscription published in December was completely made up. The documents found in Mellaart's apartment show that far from being unable to read Luwian, Mellaart was skilled in the ancient language, Zangger said. Zangger said he feels betrayed by the fact that Mellaart asked researchers to publish his forgeries for him after his death. "I feel abused," Zangger said. Correspondence found in his apartment indicate that Mellaart tried to get others interested in publishing the forgeries before he died, Zangger said, adding that "he had no scruples when it came to harming other people's careers."[/FONT]

OMG I created a thread for this and I was very excited, it turned to be fake :(

I wonder what else Mellaart faked or imagined.

I don't remember if I had ever taken part in this thread, apparently no; so sorry if i cross-red it from high and missed something -
just an haplo point: have somebody recalled the so curious presence of Y-R1b-U152 in the traditional region of the Plateau in eastern Creta? We had weighted without enthusiasm the Venitian presence in the island; but now something pointing to West to East moves and influences of any kind in Sea People times can found some confirmation?

... weighted the possibility of venitian ... sorry

Newsflash: Two new Nuragic vases have been found at Pyla Kokkinokremos in Cyprus during the newest excavation: "In 2017, excavations in the central and northern sectors of the Kokkinokremos plateau concentrated on Trenches 3.3 and 3.4. A new excavation sector (Sector 6) was likewise opened c. 50 m the southeast of Sector 1. Extension of Trench 3.3 towards the southeast revealed ten additional spaces, most of them belonging to the site’s casemate system. Space 3.3.23 yielded an Egyptian alabaster amphora, adding to the growing corpus of Egyptian alabaster vessels found at the site. Space 3.3.16, possibly only accessible from the outside of the settlement produced two Sardinian olle a colletto, bringing to four the total number of Sardinian vessels found at the site (Fig. 1 & 2). This exceptional finding strongly raises the possibility of a Sardinian presence (or privileged connection with Sardinia) at Kokkinokremos "Joachim Bretschneider et al., PYLA-KOKKINOKREMOS: Short report of the 2017 campaign"

The site of Pyla-
Kokkinokremos
, located ca. 15 km east of Larnaka along the coast of Cyprus, represents asingularly short-lived
settlement in the island’s Late Bronze Age history. Established only a generation or so
prior to its eventual abandonment in the early 12
th

c. BC, the settlement is a valuable ‘time capsule’ of the
Late Cypriot IIC/IIIA (1230-1170 BC) critical phase. Explored on several previous occasions, respectivelyby P. Dikaios (1952), V. Karageorghis (1981-1982), V. Karageorghis and A. Kanta (2010-2013), it forms theobject of a joint mission since 2014 between the UGhent, the UCLouvain and the Greek-basedMediterranean Archaeological Society.

https://www.academia.edu/36116570/PYLA-KOKKINOKREMOS_Short_report_of_the_2017_campaign

2-4dc6564482.jpg

It is interesting that painted pottery from Cyprus and this site too looks just like Philistine pottery:
7-f2c71c738c.jpg

Last edited:
Bronze Age Italian Pigs in Myceanean Greece and the Levant

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352409X18303535#bb0105

Utilizzando Tapatalk

Cato, what do you think of this study? It seems to confirm what Reinhard Jung states.

"Mobility and trade in Mediterranean antiquity: Evidence for an ‘Italian connection’ in Mycenaean Greece revealed by ancient DNA of livestock

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jasrep.2018.10.011

Highlights

•We use ancient DNA of pigs and cattle to infer trade connections and mobility in the Mycenaean period.
•We identify an Italian pig haplotype for the first time outside of Italy in the palatial period of Greece.
•Italian pig translocation to Greek Mainland indicates the presence of Italian migrants in palatial and post-palatial Greece.
"

I believe that there are little doubts that the Sea Peoples or most of them came from Central Mediterranean Sea (Italy and the islands)...we have Italian weapons and ceramics in Greece, Creete, Cyprus and the Levant, an Etruscan community in Lemno, likely descendant of the Tursha, a nuragic/Sherden holy well in Bulgaria (Gârlo), R1b U152 in Greece/Crete, these Italian Pigs in Greece etc...

Utilizzando Tapatalk

I believe that there are little doubts that the Sea Peoples or most of them came from Central Mediterranean Sea (Italy and the islands)...we have Italian weapons and ceramics in Greece, Creete, Cyprus and the Levant, an Etruscan community in Lemno, likely descendant of the Tursha, a nuragic/Sherden holy well in Bulgaria (Gârlo), R1b U152 in Greece/Crete, these Italian Pigs in Greece etc...

Utilizzando Tapatalk

There is definitely a growing consensus.

According to archaeologist Giovanni Ugas (2016)

Sherden and Shekelesh = Sardinia
Sikel = Sicily
Tursha (then named Peleset) = Tuscany
Dayniu = Apulia or Latium
Liku = Liguria
Weshesh = Basques/Iberians?

Apparently they settled first in Northern Greece then migrated to Southern Greece, Creete, Cyprus, fought in Egypt and then settled definitively in the Levant

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-C49WoiifkC8/T_nRrC7fp0I/AAAAAAAAEdU/la4SKQVHiUw/s1600/ug+3.png

Utilizzando Tapatalk

I have some doubts that Tursha and Peleset were the same people.

I believe that at present we have to stay on what scholars, belonging to different disciplines and not connected to each other, are trying to verify: movements from West, particularly Italy and the islands, to East.

The identification of any single Sea Peoples can led to much speculation.

According to him they took their name Pelasti, then Peleset, after they settled in Attica and built the "teikhos pelasgikon" the pelasgic wall. Myrsilos of Mitilene wrote that the Pelargi were the Tyrrenhians that moved to the Aegean sea

Maybe aDNA could help us:
https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org...er-philistine-cemetery-unearthed-at-ashkelon/
In any case the type of plumed helmet that the Peleset wore is documented in the Aeneid (Cycnus had such type of helmet)

the main Sardinian God wore this type of helmet as well

Utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:
According to him they took their name Pelasti, then Peleset, after they settled in Attica and built the "teikhos pelasgikon" the pelasgic wall. Myrsilos of Mitilene wrote that the Pelargi were the Tyrrenhians that moved to the Aegean sea

There is too much speculation here. There are other Greek sources who state that Tyrrenhians are a different thing from Pelasgians. Being Pelasgian is likely a broad term, we can't rule out it refers to several different populations.

I do agree there were likely also "Pelasgian" migrations from Greece to the Aegean sea.

I know that other Greek writers wrote that the Pelasgi were the indigenous people of Greece etc..

they are often contradictory, for example Hellanicus of Lesbo noted that the language of Lemno, Placia and other areas of Greece was similar to the Etruscan and believed that they moved from Thessaly to Italy under the leadership of Nanas

Utilizzando Tapatalk

One thing is sure, archaeology and many Greek historians agree that there were Etruscan or better Proto Etruscans colonies in the Aegean

Utilizzando Tapatalk

This thread has been viewed 68906 times.

Back