North-Central Italian Bronze Age invasion of South Italy and the Sea Peoples

One thing is sure, archaeology and many Greek historians agree that there were Etruscan or better Proto Etruscans colonies in the Aegean

Utilizzando Tapatalk

Greek authors never used the term "Etruscan", they rather used the term "Tyrrhenian" (but Etruscan called themselves Rasenna). What does mean Proto Etruscan colonies in the Aegean? How can be a colony protological?

Inscriptions in Lemnos of a language related to the Etruscan have indeed found. Apart from the inscriptions, which are 5 or 6, I do not remember the exact number but do not arrive at 10, archaeologically it was found very little. Yet Italian archaeologists have been digging in Lemnos for many years. The little they found at most is compatible with a community that lasted some centuries, with a commercial emporium, rather than with something very rooted. Archeologist Emanuele Greco even speaks of episodic contacts.

Cato, read this interview/article. Emanuele Greco is the Italian archeologist who has been the responsible for the excavations in Lemnos for many years and the director of the Italian School of Archaeology at Athens.

Le scorribande marine degli Etruschi Erano loro i pirati del Mediterraneo (La Repubblica, 13 giugno 2009)

ROMA. Sono trascorsi 120 anni dalla prima, epocale scoperta. E ora finalmente Lemnos, isola greca a due passi dalla costa anatolica di Troia, ha restituito una seconda "iscrizione tirrenica". Una seconda stele in pietra del VI secolo a. C. che porta incisa una scritta in una lingua strettamente imparentata con l' etrusco, e definita da molti linguisti "etrusco arcaico". Una seconda prova dello stretto legame dell' isola con il popolo dei "Tirreni", cioè gli Etruschi. I Greci li chiamavano così. "Barbari", a detta dello storico Tucidide che racconta come nell'isola si parlava solo la loro lingua, e si cominciò a parlare greco solo dopo la sua conquista nel 510 a. C. da parte dell' ateniese Milziade. "Pirati" secondo l' Inno omericoa Dioniso, che osarono persino rapire il dio illudendosi di venderlo come schiavo, ma vennero tramutati in delfini. Forse erano proprio pirati i Tirreni di Lemnos, come ipotizza il linguista Carlo De Simone che ha studiato la nuova iscrizione e la presenterà lunedì all'Università La Sapienza di Roma assieme all' archeologa Aglaia Archontidou, che parlerà del luogo in cui la stele è stata trovata, e ad Emanuele Greco, direttore della Scuola archeologica italiana di Atene, che illustrerà gli scavi italiani nell' isola. I pirati Etruschi erano così noti e temuti nel mondo antico da essere entrati persino nel mito. Ma due iscrizioni (e qualche altra parola scritta su cocci qua e là) sono un po' poco per trarre conclusioni certe. «E prove archeologiche non ce ne sono - afferma Emanuele Greco - Solo queste scritte che dimostrano l'esistenza di contatti culturali, di scambi forse solo episodici. Per il resto, l' archeologia dimostra chiaramente che l'isola era strettamente legata alla vicina costa anatolica e a Troia, e importante crocevia di rotte marine». Il mondo antico era molto più "globale" di quanto abitualmente immaginiamo. Gli antichi viaggiavano di continuo in tutte le direzioni. Perché dunque pensare solo a migrazioni e passaggi da est a ovest? Ex oriente lux, si dice. E la prima iscrizione tirrenica ha fornito per decenni la "prova del nove" della tanto decantata origine orientale degli Etruschi. La prova che lo storico Erodoto diceva il vero, quando narrava la migrazione verso l'Italia centrale dell' eroe anatolico Tirreno, che avrebbe dato il nome agli Etruschi. Una migrazione avvenuta in un passato lontano e mitico, che però alcuni storici e linguisti (come il tedesco Helmut Rix) collocano in un momento non precisato del secondo millennio a. C. «Ma la stele è un oggetto del VI secolo a. C. - rileva De Simone - quando gli Etruschi sono già da tempo ben presenti in terra italica. Poi, mancano completamente prove di una presenza etrusca a Lemnos nelle epoche precedenti, quando sarebbe dovuta avvenire l'ipotetica migrazione. E neppure l' Iliade menziona mai i Tirreni». Per De Simone l'origine orientale degli Etruschi è pura invenzione. Meglio dipingerli come grandi navigatori che, in epoca storica ben nota, raggiunsero persino le lontane terre d' Oriente. Commercianti senza scrupoli. Pirati. La stele appena scoperta porta la dedica di un signore a una divinità a noi ignota. Il verbo usato per "dedicare" è "héloke", termine tipico della lingua tirrenica di Lemnos, chiamata "arcaica" perché si è conservata inalterata come capita spesso nelle aree periferiche. La stele è stata trovata tra le mura del teatro ellenistico dell' antica città di Efestia, ma sappiamo che prima del teatro nello stesso luogo c' era un santuario. È molto pesante e difficilmente trasportabile, e dunque è sempre rimasta sul posto ed era probabilmente un ex voto donato al santuario. Magari di un pirata "tirreno" scampato per miracolo a una rovinosa tempesta.

CINZIA DAL MASO 13 giugno 2009

I just repeat what I've posted a couple of hours ago in another thread. Actually there are many scholars who think that Lemnian is the language of colonists from Etruria, specifically from southern Etruria (Cerveteri or Veio). In fact Lemnian inscriptions are written using the Western "Red" Greek alphabet, common in Greece and in Italy (including Etruria), the script used in Lemnos is similar to a specific variant used in Cerveteri that is attested before the Lemnian inscriptions. The Euboean script is also a Western "Red" alphabet, scripts found in Italy are based on the Euboean one. While in Asian Minor is more common the Eastern Blue Greek alphabet, also used in some parts of Greece.

In this map, for Lemnos is considered the Attic Greek who was the main language of the island after the Athenian conquest around 500 B.C..

Distribution of "green", "red" and "blue" alphabet types, after Kirchhoff.

912px-Ancient_Greek_epichoric_alphabets.svg.png

I know that other Greek writers wrote that the Pelasgi were the indigenous people of Greece etc..

they are often contradictory, for example Hellanicus of Lesbo noted that the language of Lemno, Placia and other areas of Greece was similar to the Etruscan and believed that they moved from Thessaly to Italy under the leadership of Nanas

Utilizzando Tapatalk

Greek authors are indeed often contradictory.

Yes, Hellanicus of Lesbo said that from Thessaly (who was their original homeland) migrated to Italy and landed at the mouth of the Po river, in the Adriatic coast of North Italy (more or less where Adria in Veneto and Spina in Emilia are located).

I know that they never used the term Etruscans nor Proto Etruscans...Proto Etruscans (for me) mean ancestors of the Etruscans, Bronze Age before Villanovian culture..and i believe that they were indigenous of Italy not Lydians

Utilizzando Tapatalk

I know that they never used the term Etruscans nor Proto Etruscans...Proto Etruscans (for me) mean ancestors of the Etruscans, Bronze Age before Villanovian culture..and i believe that they were indigenous of Italy not Lydians

Utilizzando Tapatalk

Cato, it would be very interesting to read this very recent book on the Sea Peoples.

FISCHER Peter M. - BÜRGE Teresa (eds.) "Sea Peoples" Up-to-Date. New Research on Transformations in the Eastern Mediterranean in the 13th-11th Centuries BCE. ", 2017.

https://verlag.oeaw.ac.at/sea-peoples-up-to-date

probably....just 149 € [emoji16]
first chapter "From Italy to the Levant"
Utilizzando Tapatalk

If the Philistines do derive from northern and central Italians and if they had a big impact on Judean genetics, that might explain that leak which came out saying the ancient Judean samples were heavily EEF.

If the Philistines do derive from northern and central Italians and if they had a big impact on Judean genetics, that might explain that leak which came out saying the ancient Judean samples were heavily EEF.

Indeed. Not by chance the main author of the study posted by Cato is Meirav Meiri, who is a Post-Doctoral Researcher at the Tel-Aviv University.

A general picture is emerging. If we think that until recently even theorizing that there were movements from West to East was considered heresy. I mean, that's something. The picture is, however, very complex to fully understand, still too early for details.

Bronze Age Italian Pigs in Myceanean Greece and the Levant

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352409X18303535#bb0105

Huh? Do you have a link? That is very big news, I didn't think the Israeli government would actually allow publishing of such samples.

I'm actually very excited now lol, this is the sort of thing people have droned on about for hundreds of years, well before the whole Aryan theory existed.

Also, I can't wait to rub that in people's faces who saw the Lebanese/Druze as some kind of perfect representation of the ancient Israelites

Huh? Do you have a link? That is very big news, I didn't think the Israeli government would actually allow publishing of such samples.

I'm actually very excited now lol, this is the sort of thing people have droned on about for hundreds of years, well before the whole Aryan theory existed.

There is no news.

This thread has been viewed 68572 times.

Back