North-Central Italian Bronze Age invasion of South Italy and the Sea Peoples

Tuesday, I am expecting the arrival of the new edition to Eric Cline's book, 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed. I am interested to see how he further corroborates recent genetic studies with the archeology. He was enthusiastic about it, on the Razib Khan podcast.

Tuesday, I am expecting the arrival of the new edition to Eric Cline's book, 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed. I am interested to see how he further corroborates recent genetic studies with the archeology. He was enthusiastic about it, on the Razib Khan podcast.

got it today,
NatGeo: The most influential figures of Ancient History
Augustus on the cover, Julius Caesar, Alexander, Cicero, Confucius, Cleopatra, Trajan, Ramses II, Constantine, Pericles, Socrates, Virgil, Plato, Aristotle, Archimedes and Ptolemy, Darius I, King Sargon of Akkad, Hammuraby, Nebuchadrezzar II, Cyrus the Great, Ahmose I, Hatshepsut, Thutmose III, King Tut, Qin Shi Huangdi, Ashoka, Scipio and Hannibal, ...

qs6EFjn.jpg

got it today,
NatGeo: The most influential figures of Ancient History
Augustus on the cover, Julius Caesar, Alexander, Cicero, Confucius, Cleopatra, Trajan, Ramses II, Constantine, Pericles, Socrates, Virgil, Plato, Aristotle, Archimedes and Ptolemy, Darius I, King Sargon of Akkad, Hammuraby, Nebuchadrezzar II, Cyrus the Great, Ahmose I, Hatshepsut, Thutmose III, King Tut, Qin Shi Huangdi, Ashoka, Scipio and Hannibal, ...

qs6EFjn.jpg

I agree with everyone there but they missed a lot of Greeks and Romans.

@Jovialis, I ordered it too. :) Hope it's worth it.

I agree with everyone there but they missed a lot of Greeks and Romans.

@Jovialis, I ordered it too. :) Hope it's worth it.

The mail service has failed their duty of delivering items in rain, sleet, or snow. So I guess we have to wait a bit longer, which is a bummer.

"Somewhat simplified, the Sea Peoples phenomenon is the term used to describe the supposed south-eastern migration of people from Italy during the Late Bronze Age. This development created a domino effect that led to further migration, which did not end until some groups reached Egypt and southern Levant, or today’s Israel, Jordan and Palestine.

‘This led to the downfall of several cultures, including the Mycenaean in Greece and the Hittite in Anatolia. Also Cyprus was affected and several towns were destroyed due to an invasion by other people, possibly including Hala Sultan Tekke. By using DNA analysis, we hope to be able to group the individuals buried in the graves. The most interesting thing would be to be able to show that some people came from Italy, which would support the hypothesis.’"

https://www.gu.se/en/news/dna-analysis-can-answer-questions-about-the-downfall-of-bronze-age-town

Inviato dal mio POT-LX1T utilizzando Tapatalk

"Somewhat simplified, the Sea Peoples phenomenon is the term used to describe the supposed south-eastern migration of people from Italy during the Late Bronze Age. This development created a domino effect that led to further migration, which did not end until some groups reached Egypt and southern Levant, or today’s Israel, Jordan and Palestine.

‘This led to the downfall of several cultures, including the Mycenaean in Greece and the Hittite in Anatolia. Also Cyprus was affected and several towns were destroyed due to an invasion by other people, possibly including Hala Sultan Tekke. By using DNA analysis, we hope to be able to group the individuals buried in the graves. The most interesting thing would be to be able to show that some people came from Italy, which would support the hypothesis.’"

https://www.gu.se/en/news/dna-analysis-can-answer-questions-about-the-downfall-of-bronze-age-town

Very interesting, Cato.

It's from 2017, I hope they are still working on aDNA and isotope

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 68756 times.

Back