The Plague in Bronze Age Europe

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Here is the paper on the plague during the steppe migrations whose content was leaked by Krause himself.

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(17)31328-3

To understand the effect on MN and LN Europe I really want to see the exact location and timing of these samples. Does anyone have access to the whole paper?

The Stone Age Plague and Its Persistence in Eurasia

Aida Andrades Valtueña Alissa Mittnik Felix M. Key Wolfgang Haak Johannes Krause

Yersinia pestis, the etiologic agent of plague, is a bacterium associated with wild rodents and their fleas. Historically it was responsible for three pandemics: the Plague of Justinian in the 6th century AD, which persisted until the 8th century [ 1 ]; the renowned Black Death of the 14th century [ 2, 3 ], with recurrent outbreaks until the 18thcentury [ 4 ]; and the most recent 19th century pandemic, in which Y. pestis spread worldwide [ 5 ] and became endemic in several regions [ 6 ]. The discovery of molecular signatures of Y. pestis in prehistoric Eurasian individuals and two genomes from Southern Siberia suggest that Y. pestis caused some form of disease in humans prior to the first historically documented pandemic [ 7 ]. Here, we present six new EuropeanY. pestis genomes spanning the Late Neolithic to the Bronze Age (LNBA; 4,800 to 3,700 calibrated years before present). This time period is characterized by major transformative cultural and social changes that led to cross-European networks of contact and exchange [ 8, 9 ]. We show that all known LNBA strains form a single putatively extinct clade in the Y. pestis phylogeny. Interpreting our data within the context of recent ancient human genomic evidence that suggests an increase in human mobility during the LNBA, we propose a possible scenario for the early spread of Y. pestis: the pathogen may have entered Europe from Central Eurasia following an expansion of people from the steppe, persisted within Europe until the mid-Bronze Age, and moved back toward Central Eurasia in parallel with human populations.

I guess we'll get more data and details the coming years.

Note that the spread of first domesticated animals was also accompanied by diseases.
There is nothing about that neither in the archological nor in the DNA records.
Except PPNB Atlit Yam, of the Israeli coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlit_Yam
The skeletons of a woman and child, found in 2008, have revealed the earliest known cases of tuberculosis.

As for this early form of plague. Wouldn't it be spread by rodents? Wouldn't these rodents have been attracted by grannaries? Or could they have only been rodents in the wild?

I guess we'll get more data and details the coming years.
Note that the spread of first domesticated animals was also accompanied by diseases.
There is nothing about that neither in the archological nor in the DNA records.
Except PPNB Atlit Yam, of the Israeli coast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlit_Yam
The skeletons of a woman and child, found in 2008, have revealed the earliest known cases of tuberculosis.
As for this early form of plague. Wouldn't it be spread by rodents? Wouldn't these rodents have been attracted by grannaries? Or could they have only been rodents in the wild?

The theory is that the host was a marmot, a member of the squirrel family. Until relatively modern times they used to be hunted for food and pelts. The form of the plague they carry today is the pneumonic plague, spread by coughing, and which is actually the most deadly form, but I don't think anyone knows if that's always been the case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarbagan_marmot

Once it arrived in Europe it apparently spread to rats, which were indeed attracted to stores of grain. The effect in more densely populated villages would probably have been greater than it was out on the steppe.

It must have been like when the Europeans brought smallpox or even measles to the New World.

Someone who must have access to the full paper has posted that the plague was found in samples from "Yamnaya, Afanasievo, Andronovo, Corded ware, Vučedol and Bell Beaker cultures."

This tidbit was also posted:
"
The LNBA was a time of increased mobility and cultural change. The threat of Yersinia pestis infections may have been one of the causes for this increased mobility. Further sampling of skeletal material could provide much-needed details about the range and frequency of Y. pestis infections during this transformative period. Presence of the disease in Europe could have played a role in the processes that led to the genetic turnover observed in European human populations, who may have harbored different levels of immunity against this disease."

You flee it, but you bring it with you. The same thing happened during the Black Death of the Middle Ages.

I've posted it before, but for anyone who hasn't seen it, this is excellent reading about the plague and the Eastern Roman Empire:

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/william-rosen/justinians-flea/

"The Great Mortality" is very good for the medieval plague.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/324494.The_Great_Mortality

I did find the map from the paper:
zoom-1511352979.jpg

I'd like to know about the movement in map B.
Has that EEF ancestry something to do with it?

I'd like to know about the movement in map B.
Has that EEF ancestry something to do with it?

How could it since the earliest examples are in Yamnaya cultures?

They're just showing that those cultures had to be a back migration since they carry EEF ancestry which they previously didn't have...

How could it since the earliest examples are in Yamnaya cultures?
They're just showing that those cultures had to be a back migration since they carry EEF ancestry which they previously didn't have...

I was just talking about map B, not map A.
The target is Andronovo, the source should be Sintashta, but it isn't, it is Augsburg.

I was just talking about map B, not map A.
The target is Andronovo, the source should be Sintashta, but it isn't, it is Augsburg.

The ultimate source is in Europe. Mathiesen et al discussed it.

I don't think they mean that the people who back migrated to the steppes started out in Augsberg. The grey area is big, and it could be anywhere in there, although to my recollection Mathiesen was a little more precise in terms of the area.

This thread has been viewed 6416 times.

Back