(NEW) GenePlaza K25 and K29 Modern Calculator Results

noman

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Today, Kurd (Dilawar Khan) published a new calculator on GenePlaza based on modern population. It costs $5.

j2BVOHr.jpg

https://www.geneplaza.com/app-store/65/preview

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Today, Kurd (Dilawar Khan) published a new calculator on GenePlaza based on modern population. It costs $5. I have already paid, just waiting for results.

https://www.geneplaza.com/app-store/65/preview

Interesting breakdown of the Southern European component: I understand why he did it that way, but it's going to mean Northern Italians and Tuscans are going to wind up a jumble of all three. I don't know; I'll think about it; even though it's only 5 dollars, it's not going to tell me anything I don't already know from the comparison to ancient samples, i.e. I'll probably get quite a it of southwestern European.

• Sardinian-Sicilian
      17.5%
    • Southwest European
      0.0%
    • Greek-Albanian

Really interesting i haven't seen someone categorise albanian and greek together like this before. I'll be sure post my results here if i end up getting it, i wonder how much greek albanian i get xD

Sorry to be negative, but it looks like a mess to me. Everybody thinks doing a calculator based on modern clusters is easy, but it isn't.

I'll pass and put the 5.00 toward a new 23andme run since they have so many new samples. At least they have an Italian cluster. I just sent out the money a few minutes ago.

It's not going to work out, it need much more information in order to kind of work really. Need more breakdowns at least.

Sorry to be negative, but it looks like a mess to me. Everybody thinks doing a calculator based on modern clusters is easy, but it isn't.

I'll pass and put the 5.00 toward a new 23andme run since they have so many new samples. At least they have an Italian category. I just sent out the money a few minutes ago.

How can I update my results for 23andme?

I wouldn't recommend this test even for 5 dollars. I received 17% east Slavic and 3 percent Central/South Asian which is baffling

I wouldn't recommend this test even for 5 dollars. I received 17% east Slavic and 3 percent Central/South Asian which is baffling

What is your ancestry if you don't mind my asking, Promenade?

I didn't mind paying $5.00 for his Ancient Sample run because no other calculator had all those ancient samples against which I could run my own entire raw data set and see comparisons to specific named and numbered samples. This is different.

At least with 23andme the reference base keeps growing as more people test. It's not perfect, though. Malta, at least, shouldn't be in with the Balkans, and there are other issues as well. They should at least rename Middle East so people know it's Northern Middle East, and doesn't include Palestinians, Jordanians or Saudis. Also, by having a specific Ashkenazi category, the Ashkenazi can't see their constituent parts, so to speak. They'd have to do something like Ancestry, I guess, or Kurd's ancient run.

None of the tests is perfect.

What is your ancestry if you don't mind my asking, Promenade?

I didn't mind paying $5.00 for his Ancient Sample run because no other calculator had all those ancient samples against which I could run my own entire raw data set and see comparisons to specific named and numbered samples. This is different.

At least with 23andme the reference base keeps growing as more people test. It's not perfect, though. Malta, at least, shouldn't be in with the Balkans, and there are other issues as well. They should at least rename Middle East so people know it's Northern Middle East, and doesn't include Palestinians, Jordanians or Saudis. Also, by having a specific Ashkenazi category, the Ashkenazi can't see their constituent parts, so to speak. They'd have to do something like Ancestry, I guess, or Kurd's ancient run.

None of the tests is perfect.

German, French, Irish, Scottish and Dutch. I have ancestry from eastern Germany and usually receive east European ancestry, but usually around 5 percent and never above 10, besides this would most likely fall under west slavic or baltic and not east slavic or east "slavik" as it is written in the test. As for the Central Asian I can't don't have much of an explanation, I've never witnessed it with any other test. No test is perfect, but this one appears to be considerably deficient as far as those using modern ethnic clusters go. I wouldn't like to insult Kurd and go as far as calling it lazily made as I have no idea how it was constructed, but the fact that the names of the genetic clusters involved aren't even spelt properly is worrying.

German, French, Irish, Scottish and Dutch. I have ancestry from eastern Germany and usually receive east European ancestry, but usually around 5 percent and never above 10, besides this would most likely fall under west slavic or baltic and not east slavic or east "slavik" as it is written in the test. As for the Central Asian I can't don't have much of an explanation, I've never witnessed it with any other test. No test is perfect, but this one appears to be considerably deficient as far as those using modern ethnic clusters go. I wouldn't like to insult Kurd and go as far as calling it lazily made as I have no idea how it was constructed, but the fact that the names of the genetic clusters involved aren't even spelt properly is worrying.

No, that doesn't seem to make sense. I really respect Kurd's ability and work, and his transparency with everything he does as well. Perhaps it's a work in progress, or maybe it's better for Near Eastern people. I understand why he would want a Kurdish cluster, but I don't know how that affects the other clusters.

It's just much, much harder to do this with modern populations than people realize, I think. There's been so many admixtures, and there's so much overlap.

In some ways I got much more out of the comparisons to the ancient samples. I could see how I compare to Italians from other parts of Italy, to Iberians, to the Greeks and Albanians, to Northern Europeans etc. Once ancient Italian samples are in I'll be able to see how it changed over time and what groups might have affected it.

If you want to know percentages of actual modern nationalities you're better off doing a really good family tree.

Really interesting i haven't seen someone categorise albanian and greek together like this before. I'll be sure post my results here if i end up getting it, i wonder how much greek albanian i get xD

Here are my results Shqipe. Not sure how accurate. \
Me(23andme)

52% Greek-Albanian
9.8% Sardinian-Sicilian
36.5% Percent Southern Slavic
1.7% Caucasian

My Father(23andme)(Diber Vogel)

48.2% Greek-Albanian
17.2% Sardinian-Sicilian
33.3% Southern Slavic
1.1% Caucasian

My Mother(Ancestry)(Puka, Shkodra, Mali Zi) - My mothers Paternal grandmother, and maternal grandfather were from Montenegro. The Paternal Grandmother was Montenegrin, and the maternal Grandfather was Albanian from Montenegro. Could explain why she gets more than Albanian? Unless its not exactly accurate. On Ancestry she gets 75 percent Albania/Greece/Turkey, 20 percent northeast Italy/Croatia/Bosnia and 5 percent Caucasian.

53.7% Percent Southern Slavic
32% Greek-Albanian
7.2% Sardinian-Sicilian
6% Caucasian
.5% Bedouin
.7% East African

Does anyone know what's included in South Slavic?

Montenegrin, Bosnian, Bulgarian, and Romanian

It seems odd to me to group Montenegrins and Bosnians with Bulgarians and Romanians if you're doing a Balkan split. I would think you'd do western versus eastern Balkans and then maybe put Albanians with Greeks as "south Balkans".

It would be interesting to see then if Bulgarians and Romanians are sort of the reverse of Albanians, i.e. split between Bulgarians and Romanians versus Albanians/Greeks, but with higher percentages for Bulgarian/Romanian.

I think it's a mistake to use Sardinians for any of this, at least mixed with another group. They're too highly drifted.

I agree, 0.7% Papuan makes zero sense to me. On top of that, I get zero for Sicilian, despite the fact I'm Southern Italian.

It seems odd to me to group Montenegrins and Bosnians with Bulgarians and Romanians if you're doing a Balkan split. I would think you'd do western versus eastern Balkans and then maybe put Albanians with Greeks as "south Balkans".
It would be interesting to see then if Bulgarians and Romanians are sort of the reverse of Albanians, i.e. split between Bulgarians and Romanians versus Albanians/Greeks, but with higher percentages for Bulgarian/Romanian.
I think it's a mistake to use Sardinians for any of this, at least mixed with another group. They're too highly drifted.
I’m not too sure about the groupings or the reasoning behind it . A Bulgarian User scored somewhat of a reverse with 28 percent Greek-Albanian. Idk why the rest of the south Slavs were left out of the reference group. I agree with your suggestions. That’s roughly what LivingDNA has. West Balkan east balkans and Aegean for Greek and Albanian.

I agree, 0.7% Papuan makes zero sense to me. On top of that, I get zero for Sicilian, despite the fact I'm Southern Italian.
What company did you test with? Because his calculator only works with 23andme files. Which could explain my moms off results. It’s especially inaccurate for LivingDNA files.

What company did you test with? Because his calculator only works with 23andme files. Which could explain my moms off results. It’s especially inaccurate for LivingDNA files.

I'm using 23andme V5.

The results from this calculator seems like a far cry from what other tests have told me, including 23andme. I'm a fan of Kurd's ancient calculator; this one, not so much.

Uhhhh...what???? No Sicilian????? Nada?? Shouldn't southern Italians and Sicilians be apples from the same tree? This calculator requires an extended deadline, it's clearly in beta phase.

This thread has been viewed 111917 times.

Back