In which region of the world did your blood type originate?

I am A+ like mom🤔
anyway i don't think there is a connection
Between geographical area and the blood type
For example: A+ is very high in scandinavia but it is also very high in australia abourigines
I believe the distribution of the different blood types is random🤔

I am B+
Dont know where it originates from

I am O negative, and I would tend to think like you that it is a Western European thing related to the population with high percentage of R1b.

I come from one of the most R1b populations in the world. According to French Canadian genealogy y-dna databases, 70 to 80% of the men here are R1b and the haplogroups are all very ancient in France. We are descended from medieval French peoples, not from modern Frenchs. Half are R-L51, but there are also a lot of R-U152 (Gauls), R-L21 (Normandy, french Brittany, UK), R-U106 (Paris region), the Basque subclade (Aquitaine) and others.

In second position comes the I1 (mainly the Normans ancestors names), J2, G, some I2 like my father but it's rare. There is no R1a.

My maternal grand-father was R-L21, ancestor from French Brittany, which is a ? celtic ? zone were O bloodgroup is very prevalent and rhesus negative almost as high as in Basque Country. But there could be also something in my ? british ? dna that carry this O negative gene (I’m 1/3 british).

(Amerindian admixture is only 1% or less on average, and I have none).

My maternal grand-father was R-L21, ancestor from French Brittany, which is a � celtic � zone were O bloodgroup is very prevalent and rhesus negative almost as high as in Basque Country.

I have yet to see a study from that region. Do you have one available?

I was wrong. I'm B+.

The results are in, I am A+

we are similar in blood types for family members..........

myself and my mother are A+

Wife and all my sons are A-

father was O+

sister is O

Grandsons are all A- ...........like there father

My father: O+
My mother: A+
Me: A+
My son: A-
My wife: A-

Me: A+
Mother: A+
Father: O-

I was wrong. I'm B+.

Ha, join the club! I am also a B+, my wife is a B-, son is a B+. I am not sure what my daughter is but I think B+. If I remember my wife was given Rhogam during her pregnancy with our son.

Last edited:
I am 0- as well, and I am an Albanian from North Macedonia.

The only thing I know about 0- is that I can donate blood to anyone, but can only receive blood from fellow 0-.

I personally doubt blood groups originated with a specific peoples or in a specific location.

I am 0 negative too. My dad is 0 negative and all of his brothers as well. We are active blood donors in our community.

I agree with you but it seems to be a weird obsession some people have.

I personally doubt blood groups originated with a specific peoples or in a specific location.

Let's assume for a minute that blood type B was the most recent one to come about (aside from AB of course which is a result of A and B antigens coming together.

How did B magically appear on several continents if there wasn't one point of origin?

According to the American Red Cross, the following statistics show the most common blood types in the U.S.:
African American: 47% O-positive, 24% A-positive, and 18% B-positive
Latin American: 53% O-positive, 29% A-positive, and 9% B-positive
Asian: 39% O-positive, 27% A-positive, and 25% B-positive
Caucasian: 37% O-positive, 33% A-positive, and 9% B-positive

I am B+

According to the American Red Cross, the following statistics show the most common blood types in the U.S.:
African American: 47% O-positive, 24% A-positive, and 18% B-positive
Latin American: 53% O-positive, 29% A-positive, and 9% B-positive
Asian: 39% O-positive, 27% A-positive, and 25% B-positive
Caucasian: 37% O-positive, 33% A-positive, and 9% B-positive
I am B+
That's cool.
But the people of the US are not a genetic tribe.

Sorry to disappoint you Firetown, but ABO blood types evolved millions of years ago and are shared with other primates. Chimpanzees have been found thus far to have primarily type A blood, with type O less commonly. Gorillas appear to be exclusively type B. Orangutans express all three blood types. Macaques have all three blood types. I couldn't find data for other species, but it appears that most Old World monkeys exhibit all three ABO types.

In human it is natural selection due to local endemic disease or historical epidemics (e.g. cholera, plague) that shaped the ABO frequencies.

The Rhesus blood type is also shared with other primates. Gorillas have even been found to have more than two RH genes (source), so a more complex system than in humans.

Sorry to disappoint you Firetown, but ABO blood types evolved millions of years ago and are shared with other primates. Chimpanzees have been found thus far to have primarily type A blood, with type O less commonly. Gorillas appear to be exclusively type B. Orangutans express all three blood types. Macaques have all three blood types. I couldn't find data for other species, but it appears that most Old World monkeys exhibit all three ABO types.

In human it is natural selection due to local endemic disease or historical epidemics (e.g. cholera, plague) that shaped the ABO frequencies.

The Rhesus blood type is also shared with other primates. Gorillas have even been found to have more than two RH genes (source), so a more complex system than in humans.

You are right about the primates.
However, there is absolutely no established timeline in terms of how those blood types evolved in humans over time.
As for the Rh factor:
I have previously stated that the gene deletion of the D could have occurred multiple times in multiple species numerous times in various places.

Has anyone checked the blood types of Paleolithic DNA samples? What's the geographic distribution very different from today?

Has anyone checked the blood types of Paleolithic DNA samples? What's the geographic distribution very different from today?
We finally have some information on the Neanderthals.
cisAB stands out:

Untitled.png

So does Partial D:

journal.pone_.0254175.g003-1-1.jpg

https://www.rhesusnegative.net/staynegative/what-were-the-blood-types-of-the-neanderthals-2/

This thread has been viewed 79663 times.

Back