Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
more celtic
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b - L21/S145*
mtDNA haplogroup
H3c
Maybe it wil not be a long lasting thread, so sorry; I don't find the thread where I argued against someones claiming it was a link between Celtic bran and Slavic vrana:wrona:vorona (and some Baltic varna) for "crow" -
I wrote the Celtic word could not be an PIE cognate of the others, considering the reconstructed (and senseful) root **w(o)rn - the Brittonic result would have been #gwran -
But in the meanwhile I remembered some celticists wrote bran was a loanword in Celtic, my first thought being it was not IEan, but then my very quick and efficient brain (it took some months only) conclude that the word could have been lent from another IEan language, with a /v-/ sound; as we know the word is feminine in Celtic so undergoes regularly the mutation bran > vran after article, we can suppose that it could very easily be a loan, because this occurs regularly enough in Brittonic languages that a loanword in V- (/v/ did not exist at first in Brittonic at the initiale, unless mutated by lenition) is treated as if it was a mutated word in B- or M- (in dialects sometimes in GW-) and a false "root" is then /created - ex: french 'vélocipède' ("bike") > colloquial 'vélo' -> belo > ar velo in Breton / Fr- 'wagon' /vago~/: bagon > ar vagon in Breton / Fr- 'valise' : malisenn > ar valisenn in Breton ; sometimes some apparently geneuine Celtic words see their mutated form reconstructed differently: "thumb", Welsh bawd, ei fawd /i vaud/ ("his thumb"), Breton meud, e veud /e vö:dt/
Words seem cognates between Celtic and Slavic, it is not a surprise, but the only interesting ones could be the ones which are not also common to a lot of other IEan languages.

Maybe it wil not be a long lasting thread, so sorry; I don't find the thread where I argued against someones claiming it was a link between Celtic bran and Slavic vrana:wrona:vorona (and some Baltic varna) for "crow" -
I wrote the Celtic word could not be an PIE cognate of the others, considering the reconstructed (and senseful) root **w(o)rn - the Brittonic result would have been #gwran -
Interesting. There is also word "gawron" (gavron) for raven in polish.

@Lebrok: 'raven' evocates one germanic form in 'hramn' maybe from *'hravn' <<?**kravn - so I would rather be expecting a polish # kavron from very hypothetical **kravon ?!? (for -mn- << -vn- see the 'hamn' vs 'havn' in Scandinavian languages -
@Twojstari: I rather think independant Slavs did not exist in Bronze Age, maybe even not proto-Slavs (but my word is not God's word), but Celts could have been in touch with Baltic-Slavic people, so in some way proto-proto-Slavs and proto-proto-Balts all the same...? No battle here because I lack clues and I know it's a matter of skirmishes.

the english wren is a curious word because phonetically it's very close to vrana but the meaning, thought it describes a bird, is a bit far (but in dialects, big or small, meaning drift is very usual; ... but "wren" and "crow"?!? their songs is a bit different, are they not?

What I really meant that there was obvious contanct between Proto-Celts/Celts and Proto-Balto-Slavic/Proto-Slavic folk. It's obvious. Urnfield and Unetice give us a clue. I also don't believe Corded Ware spoke anything other than some form of Proto-Balto-Slavic. I don't buy Proto-Germanic b*llshit.

What I really meant that there was obvious contanct between Proto-Celts/Celts and Proto-Balto-Slavic/Proto-Slavic folk. It's obvious. Urnfield and Unetice give us a clue. I also don't believe Corded Ware spoke anything other than some form of Proto-Balto-Slavic. I don't buy Proto-Germanic b*llshit.

We are obliged to repeat ourselves in fora because some questions are linked to different threads, so I'll repeat myself and personal theory based upon meager elements:
some researcher (forgotten the name) speaking about Saamic substrata, evocated a not IE not-Finnic language and an IE one supposed to show some proto-satemization; it push me to think into CWC for this late substrata, just as a bet, but a not too stupid one. The question is: has this substrata been picked in Finland or in Scandinavia; I reather opt for Scandinavia; the regional distribution of Y-R1a in Norway is rather northern as if their bearers had been pushed from South northwards. Some Y-I1 could have come from North, but it seems to me that the most of the Y-I1 have come AFTER the bulk of the Y-R1a wave there, with some Late Bronze people to be precised. I "see" them come with Y-R1b-U106 people, at the differences of Y-R1a which I suppose were come "alone".
But here it's rather the place for language.

Welsh gwlyb, Breton gleb, gwleb = "wet" ; Gaelic fliuch, all supposing a PIE root close to wl(°)-kw - Slavics: Czech vlaha, Croat, Serb vlaga: humidity + Russian влажный ~: vlazhnyj: wet -
Welsh gwlad : country, Breton glad : heritage (speaking of national, collective lands, buildings and culture), Gaelic flath : king, prince, ruler + Welsh gwledig (count, earl) - Slavics: vlad(a): government, Polish władza: power, might, all with the meaning of controle and authority - but here we have maybe a cognate with Germanics too (waldan) -
Welsh trwm/trom, Gaelic trom : heavy - Serb, Croat trom : heavy, slow, Russe тяжелый (? t°rzhul'ij ?)

Welsh gwlyb, Breton gleb, gwleb = "wet" ; Gaelic fliuch, all supposing a PIE root close to wl(°)-kw - Slavics: Czech vlaha, Croat, Serb vlaga: humidity + Russian влажный ~: vlazhnyj: wet -
Welsh gwlad : country, Breton glad : heritage (speaking of national, collective lands, buildings and culture), Gaelic flath : king, prince, ruler + Welsh gwledig (count, earl) - Slavics: vlad(a): government, Polish władza: power, might, all with the meaning of controle and authority - but here we have maybe a cognate with Germanics too (waldan) -
Welsh trwm/trom, Gaelic trom : heavy - Serb, Croat trom : heavy, slow, Russe тяжелый (? t°rzhul'ij ?)

And in Dutch is "glibberig" wet/ slippery and "glad" is also a kind of slippery. "Geweld" is violence. And "traag" (in my lower saxon dalect "troag") is slow.

And in Dutch is "glibberig" wet/ slippery and "glad" is also a kind of slippery. "Geweld" is violence. And "traag" (in my lower saxon dalect "troag") is slow.

interesting - 'traag'/'troag' seem showing a link with the russian word (*tr-zh- < **tr-g-); for 'trom' and similar, I don't know but it's possible it could be broken off into **t-r+-m-, so with a farthest link with 'traag' and Co;
but dutch 'glibberig' and dutch 'glad' have nothing in common with 'gleb' << *wl(e)p << ** wl°k(w) - their IE root is surely close to a *gh-l-? something... do see english 'to glide' : 'to slip'
dutch 'geweld' seems to me of the word 'wild' family ('wild', "sauvage")

Gaelic : « soleil » : grian
Slavics : « to warm » : Cz : h[FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]řàt[/FONT][FONT=Liberation Serif, serif] ~/hrzhaat/ – Cr : [/FONT][FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]grijati[/FONT][FONT=Liberation Serif, serif] – Bul : [/FONT][FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]gréja[/FONT][FONT=Liberation Serif, serif] – R : [/FONT][FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]grjet[/FONT][FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]j[/FONT][FONT=Liberation Serif, serif] – P : [/FONT][FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]grzać ~[/FONT][FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]/g(r)zhatsy/ [/FONT][FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]-[/FONT]
[FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]maybe coincidence, maybe some PIE common root ?
&: /h/ is normalin Czech, Slovakia, Ukrainian and aybe Belarussian, in place og /g/ - do notice the /i/ or /j/ sound behind the 'r' in Slavic words here as in Irish...

[/FONT]

interesting - 'traag'/'troag' seem showing a link with the russian word (*tr-zh- < **tr-g-); for 'trom' and similar, I don't know but it's possible it could be broken off into **t-r+-m-, so with a farthest link with 'traag' and Co;
but dutch 'glibberig' and dutch 'glad' have nothing in common with 'gleb' << *wl(e)p << ** wl°k(w) - their IE root is surely close to a *gh-l-? something... do see english 'to glide' : 'to slip'
dutch 'geweld' seems to me of the word 'wild' family ('wild', "sauvage")

I see here some nice boy (or girl) gave a "thumb down" to me without any answer: very fair play!
What is wrong in my post? (an hypothesis based only upon sounds correspondances for the TR- words)
TR- in germanic as a PIE cognates does'nt correspond to TR- in Slavic, but as an old loanword it's possible and a lost loanword can give birth to new derived words in a language even if here it was very hypothetical -
for the other words, I maintain : at first sight the meaning excludes the Germ. 'wild'-'weld' link with Britt. 'wlad/t' and meaning excludes the Germ- words in 'glib' concerning 'wleb/p' and meaning+form excludes Germ. words in 'glid-' concerning any Britt. word in 'wlad/t' or 'wleb/p';
maybe I missed something? I would be very glad to be corrected if I 'm wrong.
or it would need a very long chain of intermediary words;

This thread has been viewed 6277 times.

Back