Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ötzi The Movie

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I don't think you'll find it spelled like that.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaetian_language

The majority view is that this language is not Indo-European, but is instead related to Etruscan, although the makers might prefer to think otherwise.

So, although I guess they could be applauded for making an attempt to use an ancient language for the movie, as Gibson did in "The Passion of the Christ", for example, it's still a mistake, because that is highly unlikely to be a Copper Age Italian language. It's too young for that.

This entire movie looks like a view of Otzi from before they did any genetic analysis, i.e. all the speculation that he was some Indo-European Copper Age migrant from the steppes. HE WASN'T. He was close to being a Neolithic farmer from Anatolia.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it just smells like another "Nordic" attempt to appropriate Southern European history and accomplishments. It's either that or abject stupidity. Take your pick.

If I had the time to track down the producers and the director I'd tell them exactly how I feel about it. So there! :)

Yeah and you know what's really obvious these filmmakers are missing? It's that a movie about otzi isn't likely going to attract a wide enough audience the same way a new batman film would bc very few know anything about him and those who do and have strong interests would be put off by the "northerly" cast and would also expect a lot of what goes on in the film to be fabrication and speculation; so if anything, it would attract a small percentage of a small percentage of the population as a whole.

This concludes another episode of Why Are These People Richer Than Me
    mmmmmmmmm dooouuughhhnuuuutz

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by AdeoF View Post
    Youtube poop memories, oh gosh the nostalgic times!!
    YOU WATCHED THAT TOO? ? Lol!!!!

Ganon-YOU DAAARE BRING TOASTERS TO MY LAIR?!!!!
    Mario-NOOOOOOO

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

AdeoF, feel free to post your favorite ytp vid here, I'm glad someone else here knows about them!

They are what all true warriors strive for!

Zelda: We're about to have a feast!

Link: Great!

The genie: We must eat spaghetti and toast!

Banned

He was one of our G-m201 uncles or grandparents.

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by gidai View Post
    He was one of our G-m201 uncles or grandparents.
    Too bad they picked an actor who couldn't look less like Otzi. Of course, most people won't have a clue about that.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Banned

Very sorry ... My G2a grandfather, father and myself, better resembles him.

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by gidai View Post
    Very sorry ... My G2a grandfather, father and myself, better resembles him.
    Nothing to be sorry about...I readily believe they do, given you're Romanian.

What the general public doesn't understand is that Otzi is genetically closest to Sardinians. That actor couldn't look less like a Sardinian.

The actual mummy is in Bolzano, but the Cold Spring Harbor Lab on Long Island has created a 3-D replication of him which is publicly displayed. I don't think even the latest reconstruction really looks like him.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/75763...een-3d-printed

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by exceededminimumso.. View Post
    Well, I see a resemblance in the mouth. Poor Otzi's snarl is involuntary, however. :)

The eyes, the cheekbones, the jaw, probably the nose, and, of course, the pigmentation, are all wrong.

(We have the snps for his pigmentation: he had dark brown hair and eyes, although he had modern European "light" skin.)

I think he might have resembled these modern Sardinians a bit looking at the mummy. They're all from the most isolated highlands of Sardinia, where the most ancient ancestry is preserved. As I said, I've always thought whoever did the reconstructions, even the last one, although that's better, must be blind, or just totally ignorant of genetics, and so incapable of accepting that someone who lived in the Alps didn't look like a Central European.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This woman, way over 100 years old, shows what they look like when age has stripped a lot of the flesh from the bones. She also shows how long lived these people are...

[IMG][/IMG]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I think he might have resembled these modern Sardinians (...)
    These faces look pretty familiar to me from the village of southern Romania where my grandfather comes from. Similar physiognomyes. I think I do not exaggerate.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-YP445
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c2b

Ethnic group
    Celto-Germanic

I always thought Otzi reminded me of my dad. He's German, Irish, and Sicilian. And very farmer.IMG_0065 copy.JPG

Elite member

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

Ethnic group
    more celtic

a bit late and slightly off topic:
    Looking at the tzi skull, its to say the more reliable witness we have of him, I dont think immediately to the first farmers who colonized southeastern Europe coming from the atal Hyk region. The same when I look at some Sardinians today whose facial features are far from this model of Central Anatolia which seems having left more traces among farmers of the Danube area and Central Europe than on the Mediterranean coasts. Spite a big number of Sardinians evocate diverse mediter sub-types, rather gracile of face even if some differences exist between the diverse forms of cheekbones and tending to rather oval faces, a not negligeable number of others show features inherited from already variated Mesolithic pops, local or not at the origin. I think this Mesolithic substratum was already multiform, and in Sardinia, more influenced by brnnoid traits than cromagnoid ones, without exclusion of these last ones, of course.
    So if we are searching for a sardinian look for tzi, based on the dominant EEF auDNA, we ll be puzzled by this discrepancies between global auDNA and some individual aspects among Sardinians, as it occurs in every pop, even more among modern pops. So (bis) as global auDNA doesn t give us the clues as they dont give us the clues to understand the origins of pigmented and depigmented so called mediter elements, we have to rely only on tzi s skull, at the exclusion of any reconstruction, and because here its possible, to rely on the SNPs concerning pigmentation.
    His skull was measured to give a CrI of 74,9 what is labelled mesocrane but on life would be said subdolichocehalic ; in fact we can say in true life it would have been a CI of 76 or a little bit more, and would correspond in the 1930s to a CI of 79 True mediter pops of his time would have given a CrI mean of 72/73 ; I think his crania vault evocates something inherited rather from croma than everything else : ATW a great skull compared to the body. His eyesockets are still a bit archaic in shape too, croma-like a bit too, his cheekbones very broad, almost too much for croma ;
    His discrepancy between cheekbones and lower jaw, not found at this degree in any known europoid type, push me to wonder if we have not here a crossing-over result : every angle confirms this gracility and over-shallowness of his lower jaw more mediter-like, compared to his cheekbones.
    ATW he had surely something of himself, speaking of bony face, not shared with a lot of people, and maybe the result of crossing.
    Concerning body he seemed not too sturdy or robust, and nevertheless not too longlegged so he is not typically mediter or nordic concerning typology. His classification as pure mediter seems a bit inflated. At least, speaking of population and not of type, he is more on the western mediterranean side than on the eastern one, what is not a surprise when we know the differences in the diverse aspects of the Neolithic colonization of Europe.
    Personally I would not take the risk of betting about his fleshy parts.

Elite member

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

Ethnic group
    more celtic

Don't be afraid to give your thought, but rather after having opened a thread in the "Anthropology" subforum - Here it's spoken about a lot of other aspects.
    I have no pretention and sometimes I don't use a precise enough english.
    That said, the woman's last picture posted by Angela in post #34 shows something close to the the tzi "discrepancy" or "unharmony" between cheekbones and jaw - feature which is present among some 'mediter' types and even among some mesolithical types but at a lower degree - so tzi was not an 'UFO', finally.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    T2e

Ethnic group
    Ukrainian

I'm of the G2a haplogroup, and I do not look Sardinian, and I do not understand why Otzi would either. Haplogroups do not explain how someone looks like, they're merely a way to trace your paternal line to an event the took place thousands of years ago. Blue eyes and blonde hair existed in Europe during Otzi's time, so there is no reason as to why they shouldn't appear in the movie. Otzi was European, and he was played by a European, so there is nothing to really argue about. The movie was delightful, and told a truly stunning story. 10/10

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trance View Post
    I'm of the G2a haplogroup, and I do not look Sardinian, and I do not understand why Otzi would either. Haplogroups do not explain how someone looks like, they're merely a way to trace your paternal line to an event the took place thousands of years ago. Blue eyes and blonde hair existed in Europe during Otzi's time, so there is no reason as to why they shouldn't appear in the movie. Otzi was European, and he was played by a European, so there is nothing to really argue about. The movie was delightful, and told a truly stunning story. 10/10
    It has absolutely nothing to do with his y dna lineage. It has to do with his autosomal composition, which is what determines phenotype. He, and all the people like him, plot with Sardinians. You can see it in any PCA. Plus, besides knowing what Sardinians look like, we know his precise pigmentation snps because we have his mummy and the scientists could and did test for those things. He had dark hair and dark eyes. He didn't look anything like a modern Northern or even Central European. The makers of the film should have done some basic research. It would be like casting Antonio Banderas as Richard the Lionheart. Silly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12