Ötzi The Movie

Couldn't finish it due to internet but let me know how it goes I'll be glad to know how you like it. Gotta get stuff done for tomorrow. SPARTA!! Lol! good night everyone. Love u all, and love me back. Love the world, peace!

^^Most people are stupid. They probably first heard about Troy and Achilles and Agamemnon when they saw the movie. You could have set it in Ireland with Jimmy Cagney playing the lead and they wouldn't have known any difference. If you're filming a movie in ancient Rhaetic you're presumably looking for a slightly more upscale and educated audience.

I think Mexicans would care if Montezuma was played by Tom Hiddleston without altering his appearance. It's disrespectful of the culture you're supposed to be representing when you just ride roughshod over it.

If you're going to do these kinds of things, do your homework, like Mel Gibson did in Apocalypto. His problems have overshadowed how brilliantly he directed that movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3dZeqQkNbY

Or, how about "The Passion of the Christ"? He didn't bring in someone like Ryan Gosling to play Jesus. OK, he didn't pick a Jewish actor, but he altered his nose, gave him brown eyes, and even darkened his skin slightly, and on and on, in the process making him rather disturbingly more attractive if I'm honest. Mary was played by a Jewish actress, though, and Mary Magdalene was played by Monica Bellucci. He didn't go casting in Norway. The Apostles look reasonably like Judaens, even if the real deal was probably more Levantine looking...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y9qCsIPzNo

Anyway, I know the fate of nations doesn't hang on this, but I find it irritating each and every time they do this.
What's rheatic? Never heard of that in my life until that post, time for google. I go there after reading at least ninety percent of your posts

Couldn't finish it due to internet but let me know how it goes I'll be glad to know how you like it. Gotta get stuff done for tomorrow. SPARTA!! Lol! good night everyone. Love u all, and love me back. Love the world, peace!

Youtube poop memories, oh gosh the nostalgic times!!

I would not mind to see Otzi the movie but yeah it should have a Sardinian actor as him or someone who has Y-DNA haplogroup G at least since Otzi had that too. Anyways the actor does not look that that different to him but I won't broad the hype train on this one.

What's rheatic? Never heard of that in my life until that post, time for google. I go there after reading at least ninety percent of your posts

I don't think you'll find it spelled like that.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaetian_language

The majority view is that this language is not Indo-European, but is instead related to Etruscan, although the makers might prefer to think otherwise.

So, although I guess they could be applauded for making an attempt to use an ancient language for the movie, as Gibson did in "The Passion of the Christ", for example, it's still a mistake, because that is highly unlikely to be a Copper Age Italian language. It's too young for that.

This entire movie looks like a view of Otzi from before they did any genetic analysis, i.e. all the speculation that he was some Indo-European Copper Age migrant from the steppes. HE WASN'T. He was close to being a Neolithic farmer from Anatolia.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it just smells like another "Nordic" attempt to appropriate Southern European history and accomplishments. It's either that or abject stupidity. Take your pick.

If I had the time to track down the producers and the director I'd tell them exactly how I feel about it. So there! :)

I don't think you'll find it spelled like that.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaetian_language

The majority view is that this language is not Indo-European, but is instead related to Etruscan, although the makers might prefer to think otherwise.

So, although I guess they could be applauded for making an attempt to use an ancient language for the movie, as Gibson did in "The Passion of the Christ", for example, it's still a mistake, because that is highly unlikely to be a Copper Age Italian language. It's too young for that.

This entire movie looks like a view of Otzi from before they did any genetic analysis, i.e. all the speculation that he was some Indo-European Copper Age migrant from the steppes. HE WASN'T. He was close to being a Neolithic farmer from Anatolia.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it just smells like another "Nordic" attempt to appropriate Southern European history and accomplishments. It's either that or abject stupidity. Take your pick.

If I had the time to track down the producers and the director I'd tell them exactly how I feel about it. So there! :)

Yeah and you know what's really obvious these filmmakers are missing? It's that a movie about otzi isn't likely going to attract a wide enough audience the same way a new batman film would bc very few know anything about him and those who do and have strong interests would be put off by the "northerly" cast and would also expect a lot of what goes on in the film to be fabrication and speculation; so if anything, it would attract a small percentage of a small percentage of the population as a whole.

This concludes another episode of Why Are These People Richer Than Me

Youtube poop memories, oh gosh the nostalgic times!!
YOU WATCHED THAT TOO? ? Lol!!!!

Ganon-YOU DAAARE BRING TOASTERS TO MY LAIR?!!!!
Mario-NOOOOOOO

AdeoF, feel free to post your favorite ytp vid here, I'm glad someone else here knows about them!

They are what all true warriors strive for!

Zelda: We're about to have a feast!

Link: Great!

The genie: We must eat spaghetti and toast!

:cool-v: He was one of our G-m201 uncles or grandparents.

Too bad they picked an actor who couldn't look less like Otzi. Of course, most people won't have a clue about that.

Very sorry ... My G2a grandfather, father and myself, better resembles him. :grin:

Very sorry ... My G2a grandfather, father and myself, better resembles him. :grin:

Nothing to be sorry about...I readily believe they do, given you're Romanian.

What the general public doesn't understand is that Otzi is genetically closest to Sardinians. That actor couldn't look less like a Sardinian.

The actual mummy is in Bolzano, but the Cold Spring Harbor Lab on Long Island has created a 3-D replication of him which is publicly displayed. I don't think even the latest reconstruction really looks like him.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/75763/otzi-iceman-has-been-3d-printed

o_24.png

Well, I see a resemblance in the mouth. Poor Otzi's snarl is involuntary, however. :)

The eyes, the cheekbones, the jaw, probably the nose, and, of course, the pigmentation, are all wrong.

(We have the snps for his pigmentation: he had dark brown hair and eyes, although he had modern European "light" skin.)

I think he might have resembled these modern Sardinians a bit looking at the mummy. They're all from the most isolated highlands of Sardinia, where the most ancient ancestry is preserved. As I said, I've always thought whoever did the reconstructions, even the last one, although that's better, must be blind, or just totally ignorant of genetics, and so incapable of accepting that someone who lived in the Alps didn't look like a Central European.

euCFdNW.png
[/IMG]

7VP8OKX.png
[/IMG]

lW3AAjM.png
[/IMG]

This woman, way over 100 years old, shows what they look like when age has stripped a lot of the flesh from the bones. She also shows how long lived these people are...

65Xcpcx.png
[/IMG]

I think he might have resembled these modern Sardinians (...)
These faces look pretty familiar to me from the village of southern Romania where my grandfather comes from. Similar physiognomyes. I think I do not exaggerate.

I always thought Otzi reminded me of my dad. He's German, Irish, and Sicilian. And very farmer.IMG_0065 copy.JPG

a bit late and slightly off topic:
Looking at the ?tzi skull, it?s to say the more reliable witness we have of him, I don?t think immediately to the first farmers who colonized southeastern Europe coming from the [FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]?[/FONT]atal H?y?k region. The same when I look at some Sardinians today whose facial features are far from this model of Central Anatolia which seems having left more traces among farmers of the Danube area and Central Europe than on the Mediterranean coasts. Spite a big number of Sardinians evocate diverse ?mediter? sub-types, rather gracile of face even if some differences exist between the diverse forms of cheekbones and tending to rather oval faces, a not negligeable number of others show features inherited from already variated Mesolithic pops, local or not at the origin. I think this Mesolithic substratum was already multiform, and in Sardinia, more influenced by ?br?nnoid? traits than ?cromagnoid? ones, without exclusion of these last ones, of course.
So if we are searching for a ?sardinian? look for ?tzi, based on the dominant EEF auDNA, we ?ll be puzzled by this discrepancies between global auDNA and some individual aspects among Sardinians, as it occurs in every pop, even more among modern pops. So (bis) as global auDNA doesn? t give us the clues as they don?t give us the clues to understand the origins of pigmented and depigmented so called ?mediter? elements, we have to rely only on ?tzi ?s skull, at the exclusion of any reconstruction, and because here it?s possible, to rely on the SNP?s concerning pigmentation.
His skull was measured to give a CrI of 74,9 what is labelled ?mesocrane? but on life would be said ?subdolichocehalic? ; in fact we can say in true life it would have been a CI of 76 or a little bit more, and would correspond in the 1930?s to a CI of 79? True ?mediter? pops of his time would have given a CrI mean of 72/73 ; I think his crania vault evocates something inherited rather from ?croma? than everything else : ATW a great skull compared to the body. His eyesockets are still a bit archaic in shape too, ?croma-like? a bit too, his cheekbones very broad, almost too much for ?croma? ;
His discrepancy between cheekbones and lower jaw, not found at this degree in any known europoid type, push me to wonder if we have not here a crossing-over result : every angle confirms this gracility and over-shallowness of his lower jaw more ?mediter-like?, compared to his cheekbones.
ATW he had surely something of himself, speaking of bony face, not shared with a lot of people, and maybe the result of crossing.
Concerning body he seemed not too sturdy or robust, and nevertheless not too longlegged so he is not typically ?mediter? or ?nordic? concerning typology. His classification as pure ?mediter? seems a bit inflated. At least, speaking of population and not of type, he is more on the western mediterranean side than on the eastern one, what is not a surprise when we know the differences in the diverse aspects of the Neolithic colonization of Europe.
Personally I would not take the risk of betting about his fleshy parts.

Don't be afraid to give your thought, but rather after having opened a thread in the "Anthropology" subforum - Here it's spoken about a lot of other aspects.
I have no pretention and sometimes I don't use a precise enough english.
That said, the woman's last picture posted by Angela in post #34 shows something close to the the ?tzi "discrepancy" or "unharmony" between cheekbones and jaw - feature which is present among some 'mediter' types and even among some mesolithical types but at a lower degree - so ?tzi was not an 'UFO', finally.

I'm of the G2a haplogroup, and I do not look Sardinian, and I do not understand why Otzi would either. Haplogroups do not explain how someone looks like, they're merely a way to trace your paternal line to an event the took place thousands of years ago. Blue eyes and blonde hair existed in Europe during Otzi's time, so there is no reason as to why they shouldn't appear in the movie. Otzi was European, and he was played by a European, so there is nothing to really argue about. The movie was delightful, and told a truly stunning story. 10/10

I'm of the G2a haplogroup, and I do not look Sardinian, and I do not understand why Otzi would either. Haplogroups do not explain how someone looks like, they're merely a way to trace your paternal line to an event the took place thousands of years ago. Blue eyes and blonde hair existed in Europe during Otzi's time, so there is no reason as to why they shouldn't appear in the movie. Otzi was European, and he was played by a European, so there is nothing to really argue about. The movie was delightful, and told a truly stunning story. 10/10

It has absolutely nothing to do with his y dna lineage. It has to do with his autosomal composition, which is what determines phenotype. He, and all the people like him, plot with Sardinians. You can see it in any PCA. Plus, besides knowing what Sardinians look like, we know his precise pigmentation snps because we have his mummy and the scientists could and did test for those things. He had dark hair and dark eyes. He didn't look anything like a modern Northern or even Central European. The makers of the film should have done some basic research. It would be like casting Antonio Banderas as Richard the Lionheart. Silly.

PCA-Olalde-annotated.png

This thread has been viewed 29453 times.

Back