Irish DNA Atlas: Revealing Fine-Scale Population Structure & History within Ireland

Jovialis

Advisor
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
Irish DNA Atlas: Revealing Fine-Scale Population Structure & History within Ireland

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41...K_20AD01F1xBUa7Mvknr4Y253kRWtG9eNcm0rTjU7HQ==

Abstract

The extent of population structure within Ireland is largely unknown, as is the impact of historical migrations. Here we illustrate fine-scale genetic structure across Ireland that follows geographic boundaries and present evidence of admixture events into Ireland. Utilising the ‘Irish DNA Atlas’, a cohort (n = 194) of Irish individuals with four generations of ancestry linked to specific regions in Ireland, in combination with 2,039 individuals from the Peoples of the British Isles dataset, we show that the Irish population can be divided in 10 distinct geographically stratified genetic clusters; seven of ‘Gaelic’ Irish ancestry, and three of shared Irish-British ancestry. In addition we observe a major genetic barrier to the north of Ireland in Ulster. Using a reference of 6,760 European individuals and two ancient Irish genomes, we demonstrate high levels of North-West French-like and West Norwegian-like ancestry within Ireland. We show that that our ‘Gaelic’ Irish clusters present homogenous levels of ancient Irish ancestries. We additionally detect admixture events that provide evidence of Norse-Viking gene flow into Ireland, and reflect the Ulster Plantations. Our work informs both on Irish history, as well as the study of Mendelian and complex disease genetics involving populations of Irish ancestry.

sqxvj5V.jpg

http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?n=110&p=100&a=11226

Key findings

That prior to the mass movement of people in recent decades, there were numerous distinct genetic clusters found in specific regions across Ireland.

Seven of those revealed so far are of ‘Gaelic’ Irish ancestry and describe the borders of either Irish Provinces or historical kingdoms.

The remaining three are of shared Irish-British ancestry, and are mostly found in the north of Ireland and probably reflect the Ulster Plantations.

Two of the ‘Gaelic’ clusters together align with the boundaries of the province of Munster, and individually are associated with the boundaries of the kingdoms of Dál Cais and the Eóganacht.

There are relatively high levels of North-West French-like (probably ‘Celtic’), and evidence of West Norwegian-like (probably Viking) ancestry within Ireland.

There is evidence of continual, low level migration between the north of Ireland and the south and west of Scotland.

Are they going to release y-dna and mtdna data?

Color me really skeptical on this one as far as the conclusions go. If you drill down deep enough, and use really small parameters, you could find structure from one village to the next in certain parts of Europe.

Still interesting, though. You can definitely see the differing effect of the various migrations and shared ancestry.

european-ancestry-british-isles.jpg

A couple of observations on this that I hope I can get some opinions or input on in regards to this study:

1. While I do believe them in that there is a Scandinavian genetic influence in every Irish region, I am skeptical about the percentages shown. I can't help but wonder if the high Scandinavian percentages shown are partially related to an ANE type of influence.

2. I'm very interested in the Belgian percentages: I notice these are lowest in Ireland and Gaelic Scotland but relatively high in every other region. Although they are overall highest in England, BEL2 looks highest in Orkney III, North England II, N Scotland I, and S Wales I. The most interesting thing about this category is that it is significant in both Aberdeenshire area (North Scotland I) as well as Orkney, which we know were inhabited by the Picts in the past - so I wonder if this BEL2 category might be related to them somehow - either way the Belgium component may be related to P-Celtic speaking peoples.

This thread has been viewed 6623 times.

Back