Cultural map of the world-Ingelhart Welzel

LOL LOL [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
That’s funny [emoji1]
I know right? This map would've been less moronic if Greece was part of a Greek Orthodox group with its own color code and Israel, well, that's complicated given its home to a majority Jewish and Muslim population.

I know right? This map would've been less moronic if Greece was part of a Greek Orthodox group with its own color code and Israel, well, that's complicated given its home to a majority Jewish and Muslim population.
Could that be that the “Map” is been fabricated to spread misinformation?

West Germany and Russia being parallel in terms of secular values versus religious ones makes sense. Also, Greece and Israel are placed in Catholic Europe, not Protestant Europe.

It's the most recent map that is the absolute worst. South Asia, where they are murdering people who say they are atheists, where religious differences regularly lead to riots and violence, where marriages are arranged for everyone, and those brides are often minors, where cows are allowed to defecate in the streets and no one is allowed to stop them, where the huge number who are Untouchables still face incredible discrimination, is as secular and rational an area as Belgium, and Italy, and Portugal and Britain?

Are these people on drugs when they set up these questions and write up their reports?

This is why the "social sciences" have such a bad rap, and increasingly so as new studies show many of the results we've read about in the media can't be duplicated. It's all fake science, sometimes, I would bet, out of agendas in favor of one thing or another, although here I can't figure out the agenda.

Well I guess one could say they're in Protestant Europe since their areas are the same color as Protestant Europe or I guess they're in both for the reason mentioned plus being within the catholic Europe border for some reason. Or maybe the shared coloring is due to them not knowing how to figure out how to group them due to a hilarous lack of problem solving ability; I would've done what I suggested in my last post or surround them with an orange blob labeled "misc".

edit: oh uh right lol orange is already used as a color there. I'll use purple because purple is a fruit

I'm not usually a fan of this kind of thing, but Razib Khan brought it up on an article, and I think it's pretty interesting.

Cultural_map_WVS4_1996.jpg

Both religion and political systems are at play.

See:
https://www.gnxp.com/WordPress/2017...-thing/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
This map is really not accurate at all. Like how on earth is Israel close/in European culture (and greece is in Catholic). Portugal is in latin America. I guess they dont like European culture much???
I would say english speaking is right but Ireland should be inbetween Catholic and English.
Also where is Islamic?? There is a difference of north Africa and the rest of Africa!!

This map is really not accurate at all. Like how on earth is Israel close/in European culture (and greece is in Catholic). Portugal is in latin America. I guess they dont like European culture much???
I would say english speaking is right but Ireland should be inbetween Catholic and English.
Also where is Islamic?? There is a difference of north Africa and the rest of Africa!!

Good catch! This map puts Portugal in Latin America, its like the researchers never bothered learning high school geography or fell asleep during it and received a D- as a sympathy grade lol.

I wish I caught that earlier, dang macular degeneration

Good catch! This map puts Portugal in Latin America, its like the researchers never bothered learning high school geography or fell asleep during it and received a D- as a sympathy grade lol.

I wish I caught that earlier, dang macular degeneration
Yep and also Uruguay is in Europe HahaHaha. Also turkey is in the same culture bubble as Vietnam lol!

West Germany and Russia being parallel in terms of secular values versus religious ones makes sense.

Yes and no. The cult Poetin tries to create with himself in the centre wouldn't work in todays Germany.

This is not a geographical map. Why are you acting like geniuses?

I do agree that the map seems like a waste of time as it's not really "cultura" per se.

What looks very surprising to me is that India and even Pakistan appear in the graph much less traditional less than Puerto Rico and El Salvador and just as traditional or even less traditional than Brazil and Mexico. It certainly does not feel like that if you grow up and live in those places, particularly if you are a woman. Or, rather, the traditional environment of Brazil certainly does not feel so omnipresent and inhibiting as that of Pakistan or Iran. So, what's going on there? Is it possible that simply what means "preserve our traditions" varies depending on the country and culture? Or then that some cultures, when they are strongly bent on applying and maintainign its traditions, are per se and naturally much less restrictive and more accomodating of differences than the cultures of other nations? That is an issue that maybe should be better investigated by the researchers who made that graph. What specifically and practically determines a social life under "traditional values" may change so much that the tradition of a certain country automatically promotes more the self-expression values than that of others, instead of being necessarily opposed to it in poles one against the other. Certainly the tradition of Brazil or of Mexico do not come with an entire code of laws and jurisprudence, with the respective punishments for those transgressing them, as it does when you talk about "preserving our old ways and customs" in Saudi Arabia.

It's the most recent map that is the absolute worst. South Asia, where they are murdering people who say they are atheists, where religious differences regularly lead to riots and violence, where marriages are arranged for everyone, and those brides are often minors, where cows are allowed to defecate in the streets and no one is allowed to stop them, where the huge number who are Untouchables still face incredible discrimination, is as secular and rational an area as Belgium, and Italy, and Portugal and Britain?

Really very odd. I'd like to see the questions they used to then analyse and value the data and place the countries in the graph. From the positions of the countries and my knowledge about them, it looks to me that they targetted "traditional vs. secular" and "survival vs. self-expression", but actually hit something like "immaterial and communitary values vs. material and tribe or individual-centered values". That would explain the strange position of India and Pakistan in relation to much more liberal and free countries like Brazil, Mexico or even Italy and Portugal. Some recent surveys found South Asians and East Asians to be among the more materialistic and success-driven peoples of the world, valueing material/professional gains and the social-economic status of themselves and their families a lot more than South Europeans and Latin Americans. In some of those countries, like I was told that is the case at least of Japan and Korea, being "useless" or "improductive" is almost a death sentence. That may be what "secular-rational" really means: more materialistic, more utilitarian, or at least less concerned with non-material goods like fun, social networks and "useless" but relevant experiences and knowledge (living "la bella vita" or "a boa vida" as they, the Latins and Latinos, used to say).

Really very odd. I'd like to see the questions they used to then analyse and value the data and place the countries in the graph. From the positions of the countries and my knowledge about them, it looks to me that they targetted "traditional vs. secular" and "survival vs. self-expression", but actually hit something like "immaterial and communitary values vs. material and tribe or individual-centered values". That would explain the strange position of India and Pakistan in relation to much more liberal and free countries like Brazil, Mexico or even Italy and Portugal. Some recent surveys found South Asians and East Asians to be among the more materialistic and success-driven peoples of the world, valueing material/professional gains and the social-economic status of themselves and their families a lot more than South Europeans and Latin Americans. In some of those countries, like I was told that is the case at least of Japan and Korea, being "useless" or "improductive" is almost a death sentence. That may be what "secular-rational" really means: more materialistic, more utilitarian, or at least less concerned with non-material goods like fun, social networks and "useless" but relevant experiences and knowledge (living "la bella vita" or "a boa vida" as they, the Latins and Latinos, used to say).

You may be right. In terms of the mores of people from those parts of the world being more materialistic and "success" oriented, it certainly comports with my personal experiences with them. I don't know if you've heard of the "Tiger Mom" phenomenon, which I personally think is horrific, but it fits right in with that.

There's also a lack of interest in more "community" activities. America is a very "community" oriented country, with a great emphasis on charity work in the community like in our case fund drives for the local hospital, a group to beautify the shores areas and protect the wildlife there, funding for police/community sports leagues for children, participation in the school parent association, neighborhood watches, gatherings centered around the local church or pool or country club. So far as I can see the East Asian and South Asian families who have started to move in don't participate in anything, although the South Asians are a bit better.

Or, this may be, as we are continuing to find out, another example of the fact that a lot of "social science" papers are not science at all, and are riddled with subjective judgments and bad statistics, and the findings can rarely be replicated.

So what religion is that un-named upper red color and what unites them? I see 4 religions just between Latvia, Estonia, Bosnia, and Albania and little correlation.

This author talked about Balkans but clearly knows very little about it.

Chech, Slovakia, Croatia, Hungary and Slovenia are also so-called "Ex-Communist". Same for Italy (1920s and 1940s). Where is (ex-communist) East Germany (author separates them)?

Where is (communist) Cuba in this graph? How does North Korea fit with South Korea on this graph?

Neverending need to pigeonhole people and make some kind of theory about that.

I forgot to add, More than 50% of S. Koreans are Christian (Protestant and Catholic).

This thread has been viewed 17413 times.

Back