Anatolian Hypothesis: Lord Renfrew still a partial holdout

Hunting and gathering starts when a date is close enough to taste. Yet at times we have to speculate. What surprising is for how long an idea exist in the next day it could be a notion.
I'm trying to connect as many pieces as I can find but at times I'm sure that being new easily makes mistakes.

Another look at the genetic structure of Yamnaya

Yamnaya and other similar Eneolithic/Bronze Age herder groups from the Eurasian steppe were mostly a mixture of Eastern European Hunter-Gatherers (EGG) and Caucasus Hunter-Gatherers (CHG). But they also harbored minor ancestry from at least one, significantly more westerly, source that pulled them away from the EHG > CHG north/south genetic cline. This is easy to show with formal statistics (for instance, refer to the qpAdm output here) and illustrate with a decent Principal Component Analysis (PCA).

eR39w9rOvOeeAXm7B3Zj_amA6JR8LMkcUieayLzVC8MfOdtSwSAPsEUQC3wJNB-L0AoRRpQGs17VQU4FsQno__hwxcCrJjvjIsMYgZQZwom81G73jKv8ug1RVjix7qomHqoMCDBn
Over the past couple of years I've come to the conclusion that this minor westerly input probably came from the Carpathian Basin (modern-day Hungary) or somewhere nearby, like the Balkans (see here).

However, this inference was based on just a handful of Neolithic samples from the Carpathian Basin. Now, thanks to Lipson et al. 2017, I have genotype data from tens of individuals from several different Neolithic and Copper Age cultures from the region. So let's revisit the issue by plugging these new samples into qpAdm, and also using the very latest qpAdm methods as described in scientific literature (with Ethiopia_4500BP as the base pright sample to 15 other ancient pright groups and individuals).

Below are the results, best to worst, sorted by taildiff. For comparison, I ran extra models with ancient populations from other parts of Europe and also West Asia. It's interesting and, I'd say, important to note that the West Asian reference groups produce amongst the worse statistical fits (bolded). What this suggests is that Yamnaya did not harbor extra West Asian ancestry on top of its CHG input. And, by the way, please note that I'm only using Yamnaya_Samara in these runs because I prefer UDG-treated, and thus higher quality, ancient samples.

This thread has been viewed 103596 times.

Back