Advisor
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
For the first time in recent history, the trends of extending longevity are being reversed due to unhealthy eating habits. The so called, “Western diet”, which consists of fast-food and junk food entails high fat, high sugar, and low fiber. As a consequence to consumption of this diet, the body is genetically-reprogrammed to cause immune cells to act aggressively. Even after switching to a healthy diet, the affects of the "Western diet" are long lasting. Regular consumption of the “Western diet” produces a biological reaction that is the equivalent of being exposed to a virulent bacterial infection. This causes an acute inflammatory response. Moreover, because of this aggressive immune-system response, the “Western diet” could ultimately lead to diseases such as diabetes, arteriosclerosis and stroke.

Long-term epigenetic reprogramming of innate immune cells in response to microbes, also termed “trained immunity,” causes prolonged altered cellular functionality to protect from secondary infections. Here, we investigated whether sterile triggers of inflammation induce trained immunity and thereby influence innate immune responses. Western diet (WD) feeding of Ldlr−/− mice induced systemic inflammation, which was undetectable in serum soon after mice were shifted back to a chow diet (CD). In contrast, myeloid cell responses toward innate stimuli remained broadly augmented. WD-induced transcriptomic and epigenomic reprogramming of myeloid progenitor cells led to increased proliferation and enhanced innate immune responses. Quantitative trait locus (QTL) analysis in human monocytes trained with oxidized low-density lipoprotein (oxLDL) and stimulated with lipopolysaccharide (LPS) suggested inflammasome-mediated trained immunity. Consistently, Nlrp3−/−/Ldlr−/− mice lacked WD-induced systemic inflammation, myeloid progenitor proliferation, and reprogramming. Hence, NLRP3 mediates trained immunity following WD and could thereby mediate the potentially deleterious effects of trained immunity in inflammatory diseases.

http://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(17)31493-9?_returnURL=http%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS0092867417314939%3Fshowall%3Dtrue

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-01-fast-food-immune-aggressive-term.html

Does Chinese food count? It sure as hell aint fast lmao. But, I am pretty clean with it. Don;t add sause. Steamed veggies and brown rice. only bad part being the sesame chicken but I usually go really light on the sauce and extra spicy lol. I occasionally indulge in fast food but not so much any more. On a budget lol

Does Chinese food count? It sure as hell aint fast lmao. But, I am pretty clean with it. Don;t add sause. Steamed veggies and brown rice. only bad part being the sesame chicken but I usually go really light on the sauce and extra spicy lol. I occasionally indulge in fast food but not so much any more. On a budget lol

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...eating/in-depth/high-fiber-foods/art-20050948

The vegetables and brown rice are high in fiber, that's a good source. I'm a big fan of spicy food myself.

For the first time in recent history, the trends of extending longevity are being reversed due to unhealthy eating habits. The so called, “Western diet”, which consists of fast-food and junk food entails high fat, high sugar, and low fiber. As a consequence to consumption of this diet, the body is genetically-reprogrammed to cause immune cells to act aggressively. Even after switching to a healthy diet, the affects of the "Western diet" is long lasting. Regular consumption of the “Western diet” produces a biological reaction that is the equivalent of being exposed to a virulent bacterial infection. This causes an acute inflammatory response. Moreover, because of this aggressive immune-system response, the “Western diet” could ultimately lead to diseases such as diabetes, arteriosclerosis and stroke.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-01-fast-food-immune-aggressive-term.html

Well, that's certainly bad news for Americans, because despite all the lectures to them advising them not to eat so much animal fat or sugar and to eat more fiber, I don't think a lot of them are paying attention.

This is also a class issue to some extent, which ties in with the reports I posted about the fact that the reversal in longevity rates is particularly present in working class and urban communities. More expensive neighborhoods have Whole Food Stores with their pricey offerings, and far fewer fast food outlets. The more downscale the neighborhood the more of them there are, because it's a cheap way to eat, and when both partners are working and there's still no money for help around the house it's easier and quicker than planning ahead for your meals.

You don't even have to go to fast food outlets. I see people buying these frozen entrees. I'm not talking about the ones by Weight Watchers or similar companies. Paul Newman's company has one of them. P.F. Chang has another one. There's an Italian version too. Out of curiosity I looked at the ingredient labels. The caloric intake plus the amount of sugar and fat per small serving was incredible. Or, in the dry goods section there's things like Hamburger Helper.

I don't get it. These things, unlike fast food outlets like Burger King, or take out Chinese, still require preparation. You could make the home made version in five or ten minutes more. It's like buying instant oatmeal, which has much less fiber and more sugar. Is it really too much to boil your oats for five minutes?

I came to the U.S. at a time where in more small town America they were still teaching Home Ec in middle school, although it ended very quickly thereafter. Instead of all these "You're Special" or "Bullying" or "Self-Esteem" courses and assemblies, which don't work anyway, they should reinstate them. It's all very well to tell people they should eat better, but if they can't even make a simple vegetable soup or broil some chicken or make some omelettes, what good is it?

When I was working fourteen hour days, Sunday was food prep day. You can make a huge pot of vegetable soup for the week, chicken cutlets or a roasted chicken, sauce for pasta, with meat if you prefer, stew, a lean chili if your family likes that, two or three vegetables, which re-heat well, and other easy to prepare ahead meals. A half hour or so in the kitchen on some nights and you can have a full, healthy meal. It can take a half hour to go buy a take out meal.

Well, that's certainly bad news for Americans, because despite all the lectures to them advising them not to eat so much animal fat or sugar and to eat more fiber, I don't think a lot of them are paying attention.

This is also a class issue to some extent, which ties in with the reports I posted about the fact that the reversal in longevity rates is particularly present in working class and urban communities. More expensive neighborhoods have Whole Food Stores with their pricey offerings, and far fewer fast food outlets. The more downscale the neighborhood the more of them there are, because it's a cheap way to eat, and when both partners are working and there's still no money for help around the house it's easier and quicker than planning ahead for your meals.

You don't even have to go to fast food outlets. I see people buying these frozen entrees. I'm not talking about the ones by Weight Watchers or similar companies. Paul Newman's company has one of them. P.F. Chang has another one. There's an Italian version too. Out of curiosity I looked at the ingredient labels. The caloric intake plus the amount of sugar and fat per small serving was incredible. Or, in the dry goods section there's things like Hamburger Helper.

I don't get it. These things, unlike fast food outlets like Burger King, or take out Chinese, still require preparation. You could make the home made version in five or ten minutes more. It's like buying instant oatmeal, which has much less fiber and more sugar. Is it really too much to boil your oats for five minutes?

I came to the U.S. at a time where in more small town America they were still teaching Home Ec in middle school, although it ended very quickly thereafter. Instead of all these "You're Special" or "Bullying" or "Self-Esteem" courses and assemblies, which don't work anyway, they should reinstate them. It's all very well to tell people they should eat better, but if they can't even make a simple vegetable soup or broil some chicken or make some omelettes, what good is it?

When I was working fourteen hour days, Sunday was food prep day. You can make a huge pot of vegetable soup for the week, chicken cutlets or a roasted chicken, sauce for pasta, with meat if you prefer, stew, a lean chili if your family likes that, two or three vegetables, which re-heat well, and other easy to prepare ahead meals. A half hour or so in the kitchen on some nights and you can have a full, healthy meal. It can take a half hour to go buy a take out meal.

Indeed, schools should focus on teaching children to have healthier eating habits. I don't understand why it's mandatory for children to have physical education classes, and not focus so much on diet. Rather, teaching children to eat healthy should be a mandatory facet of physical education. What good is it to have them learn about playing sports, and exercise if they are not fueling their bodies properly? I'd suggest that learning to prepare healthy meals, and eating right should coincide with physical education; maybe back-to-back classes. Perhaps we'd even see test scores improve, if they were able to properly fuel their bodies and brains. Also, if children were more self-sufficient in food preparation, I'm sure the parents would be happier as well.

Angela, I took a home ec class in middle school in 1997. Schools still taught it.

Angela, I took a home ec class in middle school in 1997. Schools still taught it.

Well, if you were taught and got practice making simple, healthy meals there's no excuse for eating junk. If it was all theory it was useless.

Well, if you were taught and got practice making simple, healthy meals there's no excuse for eating junk. If it was all theory it was useless.
From what I remember we "learned" to sew, baked fortune cookies (I'm dead serious) and i can't remember the rest.

Yes, fortune cookies

I can use the microwave, toaster oven, I can cook eggs and back shortly after graduating college I used to eat a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese for breakfast.

I can use the microwave, toaster oven, I can cook eggs and back shortly after graduating college I used to eat a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese for breakfast.

So, obviously not the kind of home economics class to which I was referring. I am not the only person calling for the re-institution of those kinds of classes.

That, or you are resistant to good advice and training, in which case you must take full responsibility for the consequences for your health.

The kind of home ec which should be taught:

Calls for the reinstitution of practical home economics courses:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/should-schools-bring-back_b_14286000.html

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2013/10/12/bring-back-home/EJJi9yzjgJfNMqxWUIEDgO/story.html

So, obviously not the kind of home economics class to which I was referring. I am not the only person calling for the re-institution of those kinds of classes.

That, or you are resistant to good advice and training, in which case you must take full responsibility for the consequences for your health.

The kind of home ec which should be taught:

Calls for the reinstitution of practical home economics courses:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/should-schools-bring-back_b_14286000.html

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2013/10/12/bring-back-home/EJJi9yzjgJfNMqxWUIEDgO/story.html

I understand your point. I no longer eat Mac n cheese for breakfast, it's always scrambled eggs and English muffins smothered in margarine and vanilla chai tea.

Polymeric packing chemical compounds could seep into microwavable food, and in turn be hazardous to your health. Which is why it is better to prepare your own food.

Polymeric packaging protects food during storage and transportation, and withstands mechanical and thermal stresses from high-temperature conventional retort or microwave-assisted food processing treatments. Chemical compounds that are incorporated within polymeric packaging materials to improve functionality, may interact with food components during processing or storage and migrate into the food. Once these compounds reach a specified limit, food quality and safety may be jeopardized. Possible chemical migrants include plasticizers, antioxidants, thermal stabilizers, slip compounds, and monomers. Chemical migration from food packaging is affected by a number of parameters including the nature and complexity of food, the contact time and temperature of the system, the type of packaging contact layer, and the properties of the migrants. Researchers study the migration of food-packaging compounds by exposing food or food-simulating liquids to conventional and microwave heating and storage conditions, primarily through chromatographic or spectroscopic methods; from these data, they develop kinetic and risk assessment models. This review provides a comprehensive overview of the migration of chemical compounds into food or food simulants exposed to various heat treatments and storage conditions, as well as a discussion of regulatory issues.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1541-4337.12028/full

Speaking of sewing, everyone should know how to sew on a button, mend a slight tear or take up a hem. I can't believe, sometimes, the incompetence I see around me. Btw, in that home ec class we had to produce a simple A-line spring dress; buttons and hems were the first week. Not that I needed their instruction. Believe it or not,

While I'm at it, we should bring back scouting. Get kids out of their basements and electronics. Teach them how to "build a fire, lash a tripod together, set up a shelter, cook your food, stay warm and dry and leave no trace of your presence when you leave."

http://scoutmastercg.com/what-are-s...still-important-and-how-do-we-get-them-right/

"Anyone can pick up a basketball or football, play the game, and even become a decent player. But excellence in sports requires aptitude and physical ability that not all of us possess or can develop. The same thing is true of academics, we can rise to a certain point but will probably not surpass our natural aptitude for the subject.

Unlike the natural aptitudes required to advance in sports or academics any Scout can gain and master Scouting skills with dedication and practice. That ‘level playing field’ is a key reason we need to emphasize and promote Scouting skills.

If we carry the technologies and attitudes of everyday life into Scouting it ceases to be something special, it ceases to be an alternative to the artificiality of everyday life.

Practicing and mastering Scouting skills creates a special community with a distinct code of conduct that re-orders the priorities of the everyday world. Practicing Scouting skills requires an unusual combination of self-reliance and cooperation, a level of awareness of one’s self, of others, and of the natural world no other endeavor replicates."

Ed. Sorry, that was off-topic. I'll stop now.

"Btw, in that home ec class we had to produce a simple A-line spring dress; buttons and hems were the first week. Not that I needed their instruction. Believe it or not, "
Dang, you made a dress???? That sounds really hard, at least for myself!! I would've gotten a big nasty red F in that class!

As for the topic itself, i felt my head grow stuffy after a small bag of Doritos (the stuffiness you get when you're under the weather, a bad cold for example) so that may have been an immune reaction, probably from whatever toxins are in those chips.

Sigh....why must all the tasty things be so unhealthy? Why can't we get away with eating a 12 inch sub from subway with a double serving of ham, salami, and baloney, American cheese, provolone, lettuce, tomato, ranch dressing, avocado, spicy mustard, on wheat bread toasted?

Grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches anyone :)? Sadly that will get you closer to death's door.

And Jovialis, great, now even the packages are deadly :(

Angela, what's a tripod? The first time I even heard of that term is from war of the worlds.
And I have no idea what a hem is, I've heard the name thrown around but I'm going to google it to know what it really means.

And i never heard of an A-line until I've read your post in this thread where it's mentioned.

I never used a can opener either

This thread has been viewed 10725 times.

Back