Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Microwaves could be as bad for the environment as cars, suggests new research

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Microwaves could be as bad for the environment as cars, suggests new research

The study found:

Microwaves emit 7.7 million tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent per year in the EU. This is equivalent to the annual emissions of 6.8 million cars.

Microwaves across the EU consume an estimated 9.4 terawatt hours (TWh) of electricity every year. This is equivalent to the annual electricity generated by three large gas power plants.

Efforts to reduce consumption should focus on improving consumer awareness and behaviour to use appliances more efficiently

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-01-microw...-cars.html#jCp
    Cook your meals with a conventional oven; the environment depends on it.

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    Cook your meals with a conventional oven; the environment depends on it.
    I never use it for anything but to defrost or reheat, but maybe I shouldn't use it at all. It's not even that great for re-heating. The food gets cold again very quickly.

Much better to just use a toaster oven.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

1 members found this post helpful.
    Sigh....thanks for the article but i begin to wonder how many things I'm doing wrong and how much I'm harming myself
    mmmmmmmmm dooouuughhhnuuuutz

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

Microwaves could be as bad for the environment as cars, suggests new research

I saw people freaking out at a running Microwave Oven located at waist level believing that will lower sperm count and damage those organs, because some of the heat waves would leak out of the poorly shielded microwave oven.

ps Microwaves are everywhere in Space, left over of the Big Bang.
    ( I must it seen it on “Ancien Aliens”)
    Last edited by Salento; 20-01-18 at 05:09.

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    I saw people freaking out at a running Microwave Oven located at waist level believing that will lower sperm count and damage those organs, because some of the heat waves would leak out of the poorly shielded microwave oven.

ps Microwaves are everywhere in Space, left over of the Big Bang.
    ( I must it seen it on “Ancien Aliens”)
    I miss Hot Pockets, loved those as a kid, especially the pizza and ham and cheese ones, only issue is that they could never heat up evenly. Some sections were hot enough to burn my tongue off (I wasn't particularly fond of getting hot cheddar burning through my tongue) whereas others were still perfectly frozen.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I miss Hot Pockets, loved those as a kid, especially the pizza and ham and cheese ones, only issue is that they could never heat up evenly. Some sections were hot enough to burn my tongue off (I wasn't particularly fond of getting hot cheddar burning through my tongue) whereas others were still perfectly frozen.
    After microwavingI the Hot Pockets, or most bread base food, I often throw it in the toaster oven for 4 or 5 minutes at around 280 or 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Crispy in the outside, and softer inside.