Post your Iberian Jewish results

Another real problem with analyzing actual Sephardic ancestry from Spain and Portugal is that I don't think there are all that many unmixed Sephardic Jews left. After the expulsions, some went to North Africa and admixed there to some extent. Others went to the Balkans and there was some Romaniote admixture. Others still were in Turkey and Syria and mixed with Near Eastern Jews.

For example, we recently discussed Turkish Jews, and how they don't descend from ancient Jewish groups of the first millennium BC or the Roman Era.

They are a mix of Romaniote Jews
, Ashkenazi Jews, and a large number of Sephardic Jews from Spain and Portugal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Turkey

I used to think that the Belmonte Jews might be a good reference for the Sephardim, but who knows how much they admixed in the intervening years spent in hiding. They may have a lot more "European" than their ancestors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Belmonte

This plot shows they don't cluster with Spaniards, but neither do they cluster with Ashkenazim, and they're even further from the "Sephardim", who may actually be mixed with other groups.

westeurasianpca.jpg

My money is on most of the European admixture being acquired in the near east, and not from Romans. Anthrogenica likes to use the annoying Roman converts idea (what makes it "annoying" is there's a lack of ibd between Jews and Italians, so it's misleading with respect to that). The model that's almost always used there to describe ashkenazi is about 30 percent Tuscan 20 percent Western and Eastern Europe, 50 percent middle eastern, if I recall. The source of the Southern European admixture was likely from a Southern European group with a lot of EEF that settled in the Levant, going by the abstract in the Canaanite thread (models ashkenazi as 55 Bronze Age Canaanite-45 percent Neolithic Central Europeans, makes sense except there should be a small amount of extra western and Eastern European as well).

Sorry for the off topic.

Hillary, the Jewish diaspora your grandfather got isn't too unusual in comparison to the Spanish average of 5 percent on national genographic so I wouldn't look into this much.

My money is on most of the European admixture being acquired in the near east, and not from Romans. Anthrogenica likes to use the annoying Roman converts idea (what makes it "annoying" is there's a lack of ibd between Jews and Italians, so it's misleading with respect to that). The model that's almost always used there to describe ashkenazi is about 30 percent Tuscan 20 percent Western and Eastern Europe, 50 percent middle eastern, if I recall. The source of the Southern European admixture was likely from a Southern European group with a lot of EEF that settled in the Levant, going by the abstract in the Canaanite thread (models ashkenazi as 55 Bronze Age Canaanite-45 percent Neolithic Central Europeans, makes sense except there should be a small amount of extra western and Eastern European as well).

Sorry for the off topic.

Hillary, the Jewish diaspora your grandfather got isn't too unusual in comparison to the Spanish average of 5 percent on national genographic so I wouldn't look into this much.

Yes but i think what I was trying to ask is the amount of Asia Minor in relation to the Jewish common? It seems to be quite a lot so perhaps what that suggests is a more recent arrival to Madeira, from maybe the ottomans? Helix also includes Greek in their Asia Minor component as well. Additionally, after this Helix update perhaps the Jewish will become Baltic, or Eastern European.

This thread has been viewed 13149 times.

Back