How much can recombination affect admixture?

neverJamToday

Reaction score
I recently realized, mostly via research on this site, that my French & German percentage on 23andMe is uncommonly high for an American at 51.3%. Recent discussions on their board have only shown Europeans and those of recent or insular Rhine-area German ancestry to have similar amounts.

I'm adopted and so don't know my paper pedigree. But all my DNA relatives on 23andMe seem to be of one of three general groups: old Southern American English, old French-Canadian, or semi-recent Irish. None of them have anything higher than 36% F&G. Now, none of them are closer than 3rd cousins, so I realize the most DNA I share with them is around 1%.

But shouldn't *someone* have similar levels to me?

Is there a hyper-Rhinelander branch of my family that just hasn't tested? Or could I have randomly inherited basically all the F&G each of my parents had to offer, via recombination or whatever?

One Dutch individual who has their parents results as well fits almost exactly midway between her mom at 66% and her dad at 29% to come in at 46%. Is that the norm or can it vary widely?

I'd like to know some of the possible ways I could arrive at 51.3%, as with just basic math and the information I do have, it would seem like one of my parents is a sentient pair of lederhosen.

Pennsylvania Dutch ancestry could explain it but wouldn't explain the extremely Catholic circumstances of my arrival in this world and doesn't line up with any found DNA relative.

I tried the various Gedmatch tools and am guessing I'm quite the NW European mutt; none of the calculators come up with anything with a particularly useful distance on it. Closest I come on the k15 Eurotest is orcadian+orcadian+west german+west german at 6.566221. On the taux de similitude, based on the K36, the highest similarity I have is 81%. This similarity equal among Finistère, Western Germany, England, the Netherlands, Belgium, and the Orkney Isles.

This thread has been viewed 1383 times.

Back