Advisor
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
Pretty interesting article about handedness.

For a long time I've known that artists tend to be more left-handed. Which are both attributed to the way their brains are wired.

Interestingly, there seems to be a correlation with the way your hair whirls at the scalp and handedness. Most people's hair whirls clockwise, and tend to be right handed. However, if your hair whirls counter-clockwise, there's a 50/50 chance you could be left-handed.

Most other animals have about a 50/50 chance of being left or right dominated. However, there seems to be a bias in humans to be 90% right-handed, and 10% left-handed, in virtually all populations.

There are genetic reasons for this, but it is little understood.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-01-lefty.html

I'm lefthanded.
They always say that is because of the wiring in the brains.
I'm not sure.
My left arm and my left leg are slightly thicker and clearly more muscled than the right ones.
That would explain my lefthandedness.
On the other hand I also have better motion controll on my left side.
That would be coming from my brain.
Did my left side become more muscled because my brain prefered to devellop that side or is it the other way around? Did my brain see I could use my left side more efficiently?
And indeed, all tools are made for righthand people.
But when I play tennis, it's an advantage. I can force my opponent into the corner where he doesn't like to be.

I'm lefthanded.
They always say that is because of the wiring in the brains.
I'm not sure.
My left arm and my left leg are slightly thicker and clearly more muscled than the right ones.
That would explain my lefthandedness.
On the other hand I also have better motion controll on my left side.
That would be coming from my brain.
Did my left side become more muscled because my brain prefered to devellop that side or is it the other way around? Did my brain see I could use my left side more efficiently?
And indeed, all tools are made for righthand people.
But when I play tennis, it's an advantage. I can force my opponent into the corner where he doesn't like to be.

Indeed, there is an advantage for left-handed people in terms of sports, because it throws people off. I would imagine it was also the case for combat on the battlefield, back in the old days.

I myself am right-handed, but I've always been inclined to artistic pursuits. I was actually a fairly decent artist growing up; but I never advanced past pencil-sketching. However, I self-taught myself about utilizing color, gradients, and shadowing more with software programs later in life. I think I might be better with a mouse, than a pencil now.

My uncle is left-handed, and he's a really great artist, himself.

They used to prevent people from writing left handed, at least in Italy. That's what happened to my father and most of his siblings, especially the boys. They had to learn how to write right-handed. However, my dad and most of those siblings were left hand dominant for everything else, or sort of ambidextrous. My dad was also equally strong with his left and right foot in soccer.

I've always wondered whether forcing a naturally left side dominant person to do things with his right winds up making someone ambidextrous.

Neither my brother or I inherited it. I'm so right dominant that my left arm and hand are almost useless.

I guess humans are the same as animals, ca 50 % is lefthanded and 50 % righthanded, but with some it is more pronounced than others, and some can easily adapt to being righthanded which is still more practical because everything is made for righthanded people.
And in Belgium and the Netherlands too, people who were using their left hand to write, they were simply hit on their hand.
It is not inherited. Me and my wife are both lefthanded, all of our children are righthanded. One is ambidexter though.

It used to be the same thing in France - left-handed children were compelled to use their right hands when learning to write.
The outcome could on occasion be devastating, and some kids were profoundly perturbed. I've never heard of any of them growing ambidextrous, though.
As concerns sport, left-hands seem indeed to perform better. No only because their moves and gestures disconcert their opponents. "Left-legged" soccer players, for example, seem to be quicker, to have better control of the ball, to be more accurate when shooting on goal... No idea what explains it.

I never figured out if I was lefty in a right world or ambidextrous...

Actually I use both hands for: spoons, forks, knives, screwdrivers, smartphones, etc. -with very good ability. I have left settings and use for my mouse and I write very very well, -both hands-, up on the blackboard with chalk or with marker up on the whiteboard. I write with pencil not as perfect, but to both directions and to upside down, (mirror idol) with both hands. It dont work well with hammers, axes, scissels, shovels, etc. Maybe could say with all actions need strength and technique combinative management and that means exercisement and practice time invest.
(for example I write well to the blackboard since both hands never practised enough, which in contrast, I write with pen long time with R hand)

But before ot explain -since I put a lot of thought-, of what possibly really happens, let me mention first my experience (me) about the issue seperately and last to my observetions and the possible conclusions -the difficult part-, as I consider, can percieve and able to express with few words.
The questions that arose are:
-Are left-ies smarter or faster?
-More capable to certain fields like: Music; Mathematics; Psychology? etc
-Is there a genetic reason behind the "lefty individuals"; or for ambidextrous cases?
-What is the reason that causes the effect; What is natures choice?
and for dessert, some of social perspective interest:
-Why parents prevent the individuals -lefty- natures; What's the consequences of that intervention?
-Is it prejudices or a big need that set the conspiracy against the left-ies?

I am not neurologist, but I scratch with both hands my head and wander: Am I -by choice-, so average silly?
I am Panax from Athens and that is my story.
(lol)

Last edited:
Learning to do tasks with non dominant hand, like brushing teeth or writing, exercises once brain and delays old age brain diseases.
I'm right handed, but my left is not a slacker.

(about my case)

I first thought the thread was about political orientation. Anyway, among others, I belong to the modest central powers...

I remember well my childhood, but not well to remember my lefty ability. My parents - as told me-, easily change my preferences. The transition progressed naturally and I was at right mode (R) but still I was at some actions and responces, spontaniously (L), I had good handcraft ability very early and I still love to work with hands.
But I confused the direction by the name. -What is left; -Where is right;

(the blackboard)
At the prime school at first classes my graphological; character was at the medium average but I faced issues to certain case characters which I confused and write at opposite direction, for example: the epsilon (ε) with (3) or the letters looked like the waves of the sea etc.
I always was good at drawing and before get to high school, I had allready established my personal graphological character. Actually I became a Calligrapher; anyway, now that don't surprise me.
The interesting was one day which i had to to be examined "on board" and under stress conditions, I begin to wrote with my left and didn;t realise it, till I returned to my desk. There was nothing wrong with my letters, but it was the traces of chalk to my left hand!
I was excited, I thought that I should try with pen, but unfortunately didn't work so efficiently. I retired from any other attempt at that time but something changed inside me and a chain reaction slowly and silentelly transform my perception... and that changes happened while I was sleeping.

(the guitar)
I bought my first guitar at twelve, I struggled almost a week if more to decide what was "mine" position.
I change the strings everyday, waiting for the "enlightnement" for the right.-"Right" at that time wouldn't name it-, but best choice.
Yes, I remember well, that I knew that it was serious choice with no turning back, since you spend time of practice... The R or L person wouldn't have to face that dilema but only someone who had transitioned his preferences or someone which can easily change his "set-up";

The years passed by and I practiced my guitar-z... Later on I studied applied arts at Technological Institute of Athens, but anyway the reason I mention all these is not to present my curicullum vitae but to explain the "frame" of my observations about the issue.
Since there is no one from the forum members ambidextrous; I owe to our respectable community to give some evidences and my experiance about. But for my -possible- answers I will deal to my next post.

continued...

So, I say
-Are left-ies smarter or faster?

Maybe it's not about smartness but different perception and by what that means, different solutions; responds; reactions; An other perspective for a problem sometimes is enough to give an answer.
At the case of Athletes the advantage is the perception of "space" (Team sports). It is just different and surprises the (R) opponents, but no surprise for the (L) athlete, cause he used to confront with (R) persons since they usually are the majority.
I dont think they are faster. Did the majority of sprint runners are left-handed?
No, I dont know, but I dont either think so.

-More capable to certain fields like: Music; Mathematics; Psychology; Arts? etc

I cannot be certain about nothing of all that, but I am sure that all, is about perception.
The music, since you use both hands for strings; percussions; give a good dialogue beetween your particle members.
I consider the same works with dance, but I dont think for example that a (L) person is more advanced. Allthough an ambidextrous (Am) person looks benefited, it is not the real case, because he face problems; which I'll deal below.
I dont think is something special with (L) as well with (Am), or at least with me or my case.

-Is there a genetic reason behind the "lefty individuals"; or ambidextrous cases?

No, I dont think so, of course there is a reason and a fundamental one, but that -maybe- is not "recorded" up on our genetic profile from our ancestors, and it happens at real time "now". Of course there is a reason behind, but nature dont care for our left or right side, but just to put us in "motion". At that point is crucial to understand that if we try to move same time L&R feet, probably we would not walk or we will fell down. So. there is a decision that "early" we have to take in our mind, to "move" and in some extend to be ready to deal with our future tasks, at what time this decision happen I dont know. -To a prenatal period; Afterbirth;
I answer: <<the earlier the better>>.

-What is the reason that causes the effect; Is natures random choice?

I think that is the most interesting part. Yes Nature need a choice from us; to set us in move.
For the economy of the actions, we need a part (L) or(R) to "belong" and to "move" accordingly. We walk by playing an eguation beetween immovable status foot and the other foot in motion (I dont say action cause both feet are in "action", allthough not obvious.) An example with metaphor analogy Is the dot. (.) guestion like:
What is a "dot"?
Dot is an ink spot or the rest of the space around the spot?.
or
What is melody?
Melody are a series of tones/notes (action) or the silent spaces (pauses) beetween them?

I mention all that because I think that acually both sides work to all individualls and animals, but never 50/50.
Actually I think the majority of people fell up on a certain preferance (L or R) for economy of time. So usually people dont have a good second hand. Allthough there are "problematic" exceptions.
Could be (R/L ability) 70/30 or 60/40 even maybe 51/49 (for humans) but never 50/50 I think.
Why we choose our L or R side is a necessity for our evolution. As it is also to keep pattern of the "first move".
The neurons in our head take the "profit" of the action. Routine is safety and we have to survive, we repeat our method everytime because everything will go fine, like the first time.

We use the same way, we make the same mistakes and still we wondering why it happens?
But we use also the same way because we know from experiance where it ends. Isn't it pretty human I suppose. Thats the story of our evolution. I Imagine the mistake and success... walk feet by feet, hand by hand.

So I conclude that not only we have to set on a quick decision (to set in move) but we have to repeat it for being safe.
That make us to be (L) or (R). But the big question: Why left or Why right, is deep and similar to the question:
"What cause big bang 0,milisec before the explosion?"
-Well I have an idea but i'll keep that for my autobiography... (to earn some money for the ferryman) lol.

and for dessert, some of social perspective interest:
-Why parents prevent the individuals -lefty- natures; What's the consequences of that intervention?

Yes parents are making mistakes, it was interesting that other forum members mention about that issue to other countries as well. That happens to Europe only or to other places also?
The true is that dont work well for me. I had problem to recognize L from R and some times still do.Allthough I have made mine methods of verification and sometimes I have to do a double thought before. But I have good sense of space and time...
The last one is maybe irrelevant but at least is a good thing. (lol)

-Is it prejudices or a big need that set the conspiracy against the left-ies?

I first thought that was superstissions from the church; (europe christian tradition).
But I realise that maybe the reason, at the end of the day is that we just live in a "Right world".

I'll end it here because the issue is wide, (I could wrote a book)

I believe that there is a tension to be at a certain time (L) or (R) and the rest is practice.
At least for my case as experiance and percieve.
Nice Thread.

My left hand is almost totally redundant.

Oddly, when I play [association] football I always find that I pass the ball with both feet, cross it with my left foot, and shoot with my right.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Violence often works, BE!

Otherwise, I suppose, a touch of humility can go a long way. When I find myself getting exasperated at someone else's inability to spit out whatever's on their mind, I know that's the time to remind myself that my own communication skills aren't always so damned sh*t hot either. As long as the heart's in the right place - for all concerned - I reckon you get where you need to eventually.

PS; Writing one's thoughts out first can make talking about them easier come the time, don't you think? Which is another jolly good excuse for all the time I waste here on Y/A. Just practising for real life![/FONT]

Violence often works, BE!

Otherwise, I suppose, a touch of humility can go a long way. When I find myself getting exasperated at someone else's inability to spit out whatever's on their mind, I know that's the time to remind myself that my own communication skills aren't always so damned sh*t hot either. As long as the heart's in the right place - for all concerned - I reckon you get where you need to eventually.

PS; Writing one's thoughts out first can make talking about them easier come the time, don't you think? Which is another jolly good excuse for all the time I waste here on Y/A. Just practising for real life!

What does any of that have to do with the article?

What does any of that have to do with the article?

This forum seems to be targeted by bots quite a bit. I'm not saying this guy is a bot because if so then they are getting better and better. But they do pop up sometimes posing as real people asking dating or relationship advice. Either that or they need to do a lot of comments in a row so they can pass the initial threshold to post photos and links

This forum seems to be targeted by bots quite a bit. I'm not saying this guy is a bot because if so then they are getting better and better. But they do pop up sometimes posing as real people asking dating or relationship advice. Either that or they need to do a lot of comments in a row so they can pass the initial threshold to post photos and links

If not, than I think he's a person that is t-rolling.

The other day, we had something similar happen.

Because competition naturally results in refinement. Easiest way to sum it up in a sentence.

Also, I'll add this though - both sides (left and right) have denominations that base their worldview predominantly on emotion or on logic. In the left, this comes from the maternal instinct (and in many cases today group-thought, as in political correctness) for the emotional group, and for the logical group it comes from those who ultimately recognise the shared humanity of all of homo. On the right, this comes from the masculine instinct (and in some circles, group-thought too, though to a far lesser extent than on the left) for the emotional side, and pragmatism and scepticism on the logical side, often in contempt of emotion.

Basically right means might, and left promotes theft.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26638046

This study seems to suggest that the human brain is optimized for right-handedness, with left-handed people being more ambidextrous but having lower motor-control for their dominant hand.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15513026

Eye-dominance correlates with handedness as well. It'd also be interesting to research whether people look at another person's left or right eye when making eye contact.

These are not genetic causes, but social ones. Education.
Now, education is moving in the direction of reducing the potential of the human brain. The use of exercises for visualization makes it possible to realize your imagination. However, there is no comprehensive training in this direction. Why?

This thread has been viewed 18091 times.

Back