thewarrider7

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Celtic-Germanic Saxon
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1B- FCG5494-FGC5539
mtDNA haplogroup
H6
I am Southeast english and apart from my great-great paternal Grandfather who is unknown all my ancestry points towards English. However my gedmatch results show a strong continental pull. Is this typically english being a mix of anglo-saxon/brythonic or am i more like Belgic/franks?

1 North_Atlantic 45.65
2 Baltic 22.49
3 West_Med 14.94
4 East_Med 9.31
5 West_Asian 4.74
6 Red_Sea 1.65
7 Oceanian 0.97
8 South_Asian 0.23

Single Population Sharing:

# Population (source) Distance
1 South_Dutch 2.88
2 West_German 3.25
3 Southeast_English 5.96
4 French 6.88

A graph by eurogenes founder put me closer to french than english samples. Although i was England_Anglo-Saxon:NO3423 85
England_IA:HI1-I0156 15
England_Anglo-Saxon:HS3-I0161 0
England_Anglo-Saxon:O2-I0773 0
England_IA:L-I0789 0
England_IA:M1489 0
Nordic_IA 0
Slav_Bohemia 0

It seemed because there are no medieval samples, he said French/german ancestry.

This could only be pre 18-19 century as my paper trail is english.

I am Southeast english and apart from my great-great paternal Grandfather who is unknown all my ancestry points towards English. However my gedmatch results show a strong continental pull. Is this typically english being a mix of anglo-saxon/brythonic or am i more like Belgic/franks?

1 North_Atlantic 45.65
2 Baltic 22.49
3 West_Med 14.94
4 East_Med 9.31
5 West_Asian 4.74
6 Red_Sea 1.65
7 Oceanian 0.97
8 South_Asian 0.23

Single Population Sharing:

# Population (source) Distance
1 South_Dutch 2.88
2 West_German 3.25
3 Southeast_English 5.96
4 French 6.88

Our results are pretty similar and I’m half French Canadian and half Wallonia Belgian.

North Atlantic: 46.01
Baltic: 20.83
West Med: 16.93
West Asian: 4.69
East Med: 8.66

South Dutch: 2.77
West German: 4.07
French: 5.27

One of the complaints I’ve heard about Gedmatch is that it supposedly minimizes differences amongst people.

I can think of many scenarios for your being more shifted toward Northern France in the more distant past. Continental Celtic migration associated with Gauls/La Tène expansion (some Gaulish tribes apparently did live also in England, as the Parisii), Gallo-Romans/Romanized Gauls during the Roman occupation of southern Britain, Frankish/Frisian contacts during the Anglo-Saxon invasion (given that North France was clearly the most impacted region of Roman Gallia during the barbarian migrations, and many locals can have "converted" at least partially into a Germanic identity or an alliance with the new Germanic leaders), the decisive and centuries-long Norman invasion from Northern France (Normans were mainly Gallo-Romanized vikings mixed with the local North French population), the deep and strong economic and political ties between England and France at least until the 15th century which certainly also translated into some exchange of people (traders, nobles, warriors etc.)... and so on.

But don't overestimate this. You may be of 100% British extraction for many centuries or even milennia but still be more shifted to Northern French than British samples. The genetic distance between an English and a North Frenchman is definitely even less than that between a North Chinese and a South Chinese, or, particularly, a North Indian and Southern Indian. If you compare them on a global scale, they're basically two recently diverged branches of the same people.

Hello mate thanks for the reply, we are very similar although your third population is French while mine is South East english. Do you know the history of your family? be great to hear mate? Belgic, Norman? Kind regards

Frankish even? I never mention the franks although they fit the bill genetically, i just cant see how my ancestor came to england. The belgae, frisian, norman element and even flanders but frankish?

Yes mate the belgae were in kent where i actually come from. Did the Franks regularly come to england? aye i wonder how i could tell the norman influence on myself? Yes the 100 of years connection must have been crucial in the flow from north france/ belgium area. Why do i come up as south dutch/west german first? kind regards

This thread has been viewed 3730 times.

Back