Advisor
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
It is called MinION, it costs about as much as the new iphone. This will have very big implications.

The ability to sequence using a portable device that only costs $1,000 may also put personalized genome sequencing into the mainstream.

“This is a landmark for genomics. The long reads that are possible with nanopore sequencing will provide us with a much clearer picture of the overall structure and organization of the genome than ever before,” said corresponding author Matt Loose of the University of Nottingham.

“If you imagine the process of assembling a genome together is like piecing together a jigsaw puzzle, the ability to produce extremely long sequencing reads is like finding very large pieces of the puzzle, which makes the process far less complex,” added Nick Loman of University of Birmingham, also a corresponding author.
https://news.ucsc.edu/2018/01/nanopore-genome.html

https://www.nature.com/articles/nbt.4060

Right on. Technology makes everything cheaper!

It is pretty amazing! I wonder what implications this would have for consumer genomics; if the ability to sequence DNA is widely defused to the public.
Probably this is going to be another problem of technological evolution I think. All technology has created lesser or greater problems over time.

Probably this is going to be another problem of technological evolution I think. All technology has created lesser or greater problems over time.

Technology can indeed create societal issues through upheaval of the status quo. Such as the re-structuring of society after the industrial revolution. Nevertheless, technology also does a lot of good as well. For example, I'm sure you can eventually somehow force a nail through a board, but a hammer makes it a lot easier. Thus, you can spend more time working on something more important.

Technology can indeed create societal issues through upheaval of the status quo. Such as the re-structuring of society after the industrial revolution. Nevertheless, technology also does a lot of good as well. For example, I'm sure you can eventually somehow force a nail through a board, but a hammer makes it a lot easier. Thus, you can spend more time working on something more important.
Yes indeed, we have to consider the positive parts! But we must also learn to use the hammer properly. Do not give it to the fingers, or do not knock the nails on other's board, etc.

Is there more information about this device? Which tools should be used to interpret the raw data?

This thread has been viewed 5438 times.

Back