Surnames and Genes in Sicily and Southern Italy

Campania was not included? Too much migration in and out of Naples?

Campania was not included? Too much migration in and out of Naples?

They were simply not included in the study. So your speculation is completely unwarranted. I would suggest that you re-frame from making such bold assumptions based on absolutely nothing.

They also mention that there has largely been genetic continuity since the Bronze Age, with one or two exceptions noted below: I also found this interesting as well: They are (1) a huge Neolithic-like genetic component (∼50%) and (2) a Bronze Age component incorporating a significant Caucasus-related ancestry (∼24%). If the former is obviously related to migrations that spread Neolithic technologies towards the West, the second one suggests a less known net of Bronze-Age population movements along the Eastern Mediterranean shores through Anatolia. Just an educated guess, but could this hint at a migration of Myceanean-like people (or the Myceaneans themselves) in the Middle-Late Bronze Age period toward southern Italy? I know in the recent Lazaridis paper Myceneans were modeled either as partly Iran ChL/CHG+EHG (in addition to being majority Anatolian Neolithic) or as partly MLBA Armenian IIRC.
Falco, that's interesting indeed. It was very likely a Chalcolithic migration.

This thread has been viewed 13563 times.

Back