More Y Dna results from Italy

apulia dna ................I think the information was gathered from ftdna ..........I will check

E: 22%
J2a: 20%
G: 15%
R1b: 13%
J1: 8%
I2: 8%
I1: 6%
T: 5%
R1a: 5%

For E: We have 6 E-V13, which breakdown into 4 E-Y3183, 1 E-L17 and 1 E-FGC11457. We have 2 E-V12 and 1 E-Y2947.

For J2a: We have 2 J-M92, 2 J-Z6048, 1 J-PH4970 (J-L1064), 1 J-CTS7683 (needs further testing), 1 J-Z482 (very likely J-Y15222) and 1 J-M319.

For G: We have 1 that could not be further predicted so G-M201, 1 G-PF3345, 1 G-L293 (G-Z6653), G-L79 (seems very close to G-M377) and 1 G-CTS5990.

For R1b: We have 2 R-PF7563, 1 R-Y28788 and 2 just at R-M269.

For J1: We have 1 J-PF4872 (J-L829), 1 J-Z2324, and 1 J-ZS2513.

For I2: All under I-P37 there is 3.

For I1: We have one just at I-M253, 1 I-BY3411, and 1 I-L38

For T: We have 1 T-CTS8862 and 1 T-L131...................both belong to T1a2 branch

For R1a: We have 1 R-M12280 and 1 R-Z283.

Is this maybe from the list Falco posted? The one sample from Brindisi was R-Z283.

apulia dna ................I think the information was gathered from ftdna ..........I will check

E: 22%
J2a: 20%
G: 15%
R1b: 13%
J1: 8%
I2: 8%
I1: 6%
T: 5%
R1a: 5%

For E: We have 6 E-V13, which breakdown into 4 E-Y3183, 1 E-L17 and 1 E-FGC11457. We have 2 E-V12 and 1 E-Y2947.

For J2a: We have 2 J-M92, 2 J-Z6048, 1 J-PH4970 (J-L1064), 1 J-CTS7683 (needs further testing), 1 J-Z482 (very likely J-Y15222) and 1 J-M319.

For G: We have 1 that could not be further predicted so G-M201, 1 G-PF3345, 1 G-L293 (G-Z6653), G-L79 (seems very close to G-M377) and 1 G-CTS5990.

For R1b: We have 2 R-PF7563, 1 R-Y28788 and 2 just at R-M269.

For J1: We have 1 J-PF4872 (J-L829), 1 J-Z2324, and 1 J-ZS2513.

For I2: All under I-P37 there is 3.

For I1: We have one just at I-M253, 1 I-BY3411, and 1 I-L38

For T: We have 1 T-CTS8862 and 1 T-L131...................both belong to T1a2 branch

For R1a: We have 1 R-M12280 and 1 R-Z283.

Sile, that’s my work, this is the second time you do this.

I’m posting this again. Croatian and Norman Connections: - San Vito Dei Normanni - The village dates back to the Middle Ages (late 10th century), presumably by a colony of Slavs (emigrated from Slavonia) -(Slavonia is part of Croatia) - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavonia escaping the persecutions of the Saracens, and decided to settle in the fertile areas of San Vito founding "Castro Sancti Viti". Some scholars believe that the city was founded by the Norman Bohemond of Hauteville ( 1050 - 1111 AD), son of Robert Guiscard, who, to satisfy his love of hunting, ordered the construction of a square tower, which still exists today. The small village originally grew in the late Middle Ages when the Normans ensured security from the constant attacks of the Saracens. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Vito_dei_Normanni

Thanks for the post. To be more accurate, the term Sclavonia (Slavonia) was sometimes, especially in the beginning, used as an alternate name for (the whole) Croatia (the land where Slavs lived). Over time the term "Slavonia" remained to be used only for the northern parts due to the different political status within the Hungaran-Croatian kingdom.

The name was recycled again in the 18th century to name what is now Eastern Croatia.

The name should, of course, not be confused with a modern country of Slovenia which got that name much later (19th/20th century).

IMG_1494.jpgWHOA OMG my surname peaks unanimously in Apulia, 2nd highest is Lazio....kind of ironic since that province seems to be getting a lot of attention in this thread! Ill add that the count for Apulia is almost 3x that of Lazio.

Cool stuff!

Last edited:
Sile, that’s my work, this is the second time you do this.

THanks, but azzurro is not the name I was given .................are you saying it is an erred set of data?

THanks, but azzurro is not the name I was given .................are you saying it is an erred set of data?

I’m Principe on Anthrogenica, I made that list.

Thanks for the post. To be more accurate, the term Sclavonia (Slavonia) was sometimes, especially in the beginning, used as an alternate name for (the whole) Croatia (the land where Slavs lived). Over time the term "Slavonia" remained to be used only for the northern parts due to the different political status within the Hungaran-Croatian kingdom.

The name was recycled again in the 18th century to name what is now Eastern Croatia.

The name should, of course, not be confused with a modern country of Slovenia which got that name much later (19th/20th century).

On many maps made between the 15th and 17th centuries, sclavonia lands where positioned between Croatia and Hungaria ..............I assume they refer to ancient Pannonia

On many maps made between the 15th and 17th centuries, sclavonia lands where positioned between Croatia and Hungaria ..............I assume they refer to ancient Pannonia

Southern part, yes. Durring the period of Croatian Kingdom it was not called Slavonia. It wouldn't make sense.

Is it just my fancy imagination or is the higher concentrations in the map of variance of J2a-M67 relatively similar to the maps of Hurrian-Urartian kingdoms/dominions during ? I have myself wondered if there is any possible link between the expansion of several clades of J2 and the clear north-to-south and northeast-to-northwest expansion of Hurrian and Urartian languages/peoples in the Bronze Age (not that the J2 expansion happened only with them, but that they were maybe one of the latest stages of that expansion that we could only know about because they were already in a literate civilized age).

In my admittedly lunatic, but funny, speculations about the main original language family of haplogroups that expanded more recently (from the Copper Age on), I tend to associate J2 with Hurrian-Urartian and Northeast Caucasian. But let's leave it at that. ;)

See maps of the territory of Mitanni (Indo-Aryan military/political elite, but mostly a Hurrian-speaking state and area), Urartu and other Hurrian-Urartian kingdoms:
Near_East_1400_BCE.png

kingdom-of-urartu-map.jpg

1200px-Urartu_in_comparison_with_states_in_2008-fi.svg.png

ancientmap10.jpg

@Sile
It seems the frequency of G-L497 in Austrian Tyrol is relatively high, similar to the observed in SW Germany, Swiss, Trentino and perhaps even TV province etc. (subclade G-L42 probably being more common in these areas) and parts of Central Italy (like Foligno, with abt. 16%, based on Boattini's study and DYS388=13), however, I'm not sure about its diversity. In the paper discussed here there's a map showing the highest diversity around Central Germany, and that's surprised me, since I would have guessed it was around SW Germany, Swiss... Possibly this is true just to its most common subclade Z1823 (the best G-L497 phylogenetic trees are in the related project in FTDNA), which is pretty widespread.
Btw, the Tryppilian Outlier (in Ukraine) from a recent study was identified as G-L42, but I'm not sure it's reliable, since it's not in the latest versions of the paper.
Anyway, G-L497 is an old Neolithic haplogroup, and its subclades must have different stories, naturally.

I wonder too. My speculations: maybe Celts/Italics, since its distribution resembles a bit the U152's. Indeed, a skeleton from Mitterkirchen related to the Celts was identified as G-L140, and according to me the guy was probably G-L497 based on his STR markers. But Germanic tribes could have brought some lineages more recently, like, say, G-CTS4803, G-Z16775...
Some subclades (even main - more common - subclades) could be related to the Etruscan/Rhaetians too. Who knows! Hope we figure it out. :)

I've speculated that G-P303 was the "Caucasus" minority of Maykop among the predominantly R1b IE speakers.

The facts are that there is more sources and less time yet the pools of wisdom sometimes need a chance to bubble up. The review process continues but a timeline desres an opportunity to breath. I'll keep sorting and working through the sources . Thanks for all of your patience. some of latest excels show npromise.

Changing perspectives

Working with the material is a fantastic oportuntiy to learn and hopefuly to add to the Forum. I'll certainly be more vigilant as i prepare my thoughts. Thank you for showing me what to do.

Last edited:
^^You have posted in the wrong section. This thread is specifically for a discussion of Italian yDNA.

I'll give you some time to copy and paste in a more appropriate one.

I'm sorry I didn't realisethat I was in the wrong place. I've just tried to cut it out any suggestions of how to make the change would be greatly appreciated. I certainly did do it on purpose. Thanks for any help.

I'm sorry I didn't realisethat I was in the wrong place. I've just tried to cut it out any suggestions of how to make the change would be greatly appreciated. I certainly did do it on purpose. Thanks for any help.

No problem. I could tell it was inadvertent.

You could just copy the text and then create a new post on a thread about the Indo-Europeans. The most recent thread discussing them is, I think, this one, but it's up to you.
https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threa...ll-a-partial-holdout?highlight=INdo-Europeans

I could delete your post above but that takes points away from you, so just delete the text and put something like "Sorry, wrong section".

Or, if you want, I can just move it for you.

Thanks for the information. I went on that site and was surprised on how information was available. The fact is that everywhere I look I find more ideas and at times I'm overwhelmed. Thanks again for sharing .

Hello everyone!
I'm from Montevideo (Uruguay) and my paternal grandfather was from San Martino di Lupari (Padova). My Y-DNA is R1b U106 L44 + L163-. According to a historian, the "patriarch" of my family arrived in Veneto in 1467, from his homeland in Rota (valleys of Bergamo). I asked the historian if my family could be of Longobard origin, and he answered that the origin would be more likely in the Allemanic or Cimbrian peoples. What do you think?

Thank you for sharing the family and a piece of who you are. The ability to know about our past adds an element of dimension of our story.

This thread has been viewed 60841 times.

Back