First modern Britons had 'dark to black' skin, Cheddar Man DNA analysis reveals

I absolutely do not believe Cheddar man was that dark. In England they have also done facial reconstructions on ancient remains and of coarse one of the females is done up in dark skin. What I see in ancient DNA is an opportunity for political gain I believe it's being used to show native populations that the new wave of immigration has a dog in the fight and belong. I am very uncertain of the science that has the ability for detecting skin and eye color from ancient bones. Gedmatch predicted I had light blue eyes only I have brown and that is from living tissue. Just IMO

Statistically I think science will approach more and more to prediction of the pigmentation, even if some unknown secondary genes can blur the results; to date even science doesn't know all, evidently. And I doubt in a political try to use false scientific works for political purposes, in these matters. I fear mor the journalists love for sensation and even more the titles they choose...
aside: the states produced by the extract provided by ArchetypeOne doesn't seem to scientific for me: the notion of "blue" eye is a bit unprecise concerning pigmentation, I prefer the notion of light eye; there are more than a sort of "blue"; I doubt absolutely that Estonia has so much true blue (light) eyes; the maximum is in Scandinavia, more exactly Iceland (before immigration to come?).

concerning selection, it's not a straightforward phenomenon, because organisms can answer to selective pression with more than a "weapon" and some other metabolic conditions can reduce or reinforce the pression on a precise phenotypic response. It's why we have globally evidence of selection, but that in details it doesn't coincid to what we are waiting.
Concerning eyes colour, I think that other genes are responsible of the selection, not only the specifi ones. Linkage effects?

This thread has been viewed 120111 times.

Back