Albanian AncestryDNA results

Your origin could be from the Vajuniti tribe,they settled southern Albania and Epirus,tribe known as Baiounitai.Also the village your grandfather comes from "Pesthan" has a Slavic origin name with meaning a "cave" or "dungeon" see peshtera, “cave”,village Peshtani in Macedonia etc.

There is many Slavic toponyms in that region but is not my point to start "nationalist" debate here,just to try and help about your possible origin.

English article about the tribe,but there is other but i guess you don't understand Slavic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baiounitai
In the article of Wikipedia that you have quoted, an article that uses as references mostly Serbian and FYROM sources, we do not have the confirmation that this tribe settled in Epir. In the article, written by anonymus author/s, we read things like:
They belonged to a group of Slavic tribes that unsuccessfully tried to capture the city at the beginning of the 7th century, after which they are believed to have migrated to the region north of Ioannina in northern Epirus.
After this failure to capture Thessalonica, many members of the defeated Slavic tribes moved further from the city. According to some, the Baiounitai moved from Macedonia to the territory of Epirus, and settled the region north of Ioannina.[11]

Some connect the region of Thesprotia, known as Vagenetia up until the 1270s,[12] to the tribe.[13][14]
The territory around the river Aoös (or Vojuša/Vjosë, today in southern Albania) was probably also named after this tribe.[16]
So, even after readind an article like this, that is not a perfect example of an scientific paper, is incomprehensible for me how you arrived at this definitive conclussion:
the Vajuniti tribe,they settled southern Albania and Epirus,tribe known as Baiounitai.
On this map see the tribe name in southern Albania

Slavjane_na_Balkanah_2.jpg

The name of this tribe has been suggested as deriving from the Slavic word vojnici ("warriors"), so the name of this tribe can be translated as "a tribe of warriors"
Who is/are the author/s of this map?

Very very interesting... e pensare che quando ho fatto il test mi aspettavo che uscisse come aplogruppo Y l’ E-V13 (siccome è molto frequente in Albania).. invece .... this one.... confused .. but my ydna is not from Balkan but outside it!? ... sad .. sorry for mixing italian and english here ...

Sent from my iPad using Eupedia Forum

Laberia@
You are on my ignore list here and i was answering another member about his possible origin of Y-DNA,most people that particular haplogroup connect with Slavs,so no need to ask questions and negate everything it is documented history and the Slavic presence there in southern Albania,and this tribe has a most probably a connection to that area,if is not this tribe,than there were some other damned "Slavs".

Laberia@ You are on my ignore list here
It`s not important for me and not related with the topic that we are discussing here. This is an scientific forum not an dating site.
and i was answering another member about his possible origin of Y-DNA,most people that particular haplogroup connect with Slavs,so no need to ask questions and negate everything it is documented history and the Slavic presence there in southern Albania,and this tribe has a most probably a connection to that area,
Absolutely, you have the sacred holy right to explain everything you want. And here you have all my full support. Problems starts when people begin to falsify, making conclusions without mentioning a scientific source, for example this conclusion:
Also, Vlora was a hotspot for the Baiounitai Slavic tribe.
Or as in your case when you deliberately falsified the conclusions of the article mentioned by you.
the Vajuniti tribe,they settled southern Albania and Epirus,tribe known as Baiounitai.
But first of all it is necessary to say that the article of Wiki quoted by you is also a falsification of history, certainly not in the brutal way you did, but in a slightly more sophisticated way. For example:
Some connect the region of Thesprotia, known as Vagenetia up until the 1270s,[12] to the tribe.[13][14]
14-Inge Lyse Hansen; Richard Hodges; Sarah Leppard (8 January 2013). Butrint 4: The Archaeology and Histories of an Ionian Town. Oxbow Books. pp. 249–. ISBN 978-1-78297-102-3. Here you have the page 249 of the book: Butrint 4: The Archaeology and Histories of an Ionian Town
13 The Western Defences Peter Soustal also suggests a possibility of Slavs arriving at Butrint by the end of 6th century; but thus far no evidence of destruction by fire has been revealed in Butrint related to this time period. Nevertheless, for evidence of a Slavic presence on the coastal region of Epirus-where Butrint lies-in the early Middle Ages, some scholars speak of the early medieval toponym, Vagenetia, the root of which they trace back at the slavic tribe of Baiunetes. The Baiunetes are first mentioned in Book II of the Miracles of Saint Demetrius. Not all scholars, however agree that the word Vagenetia derives from this Slavic tribe of Baiunetes.
As you can see, we are in front of scandalous falsification by the anonymus author/s of this article of Wikipedia. What the authors of this book are trying to say is that there is no evidence of the arrival of the Slavs in Butrint, that the word Vagenetia is not derived from this Slavic tribe of Baiunetes. Meanwhile the Anonymus of Wiki, putting the words of the authors out of context, is trying to say us a totally different thing. This is an evident falsification. The reason of this falsification? In my opinion, since this article is written by anonymus Slavic members of Wikipedia and they have used as references for their article mostly Serb and FYROM scholars(and we know what kindof scholars they are), they have decided to add the name of some Western scholar giving in this way more credibility to their falsification.
if is not this tribe,than there were some other damned "Slavs".
The migration of the Slavic tribes, their settlements and in many cases their replacement or even their physical elimination by the Byzantines, it`s an huge and interesting topic. But in an respected international forum, you can not discuss in this way. This kind of discussion can be good for FYROM and other slavic forums, but not here.

Ok, so much conversation going on. I just got to know that Ancestry made updates for better results, and my results seem different ( not so much, but still ).

Now i'm totally Southern European ( Greece and The Balkans which includes only Albania, Kosovo, Macedonia and Greece).

Italy is added as a Migration region which actually makes more sense to me since the Balkan people who escaped during the Ottoman period contributed in the Southern Italian ancestry.

My mom did her DNA test too, and she is also 100% Southern Europe.

I might be wrong, but according to what i have seen around i have come to a conclusion that Albanians who have extremely dark hair and dark brown eyes tend to have a higher percentage of Southern Europe and those who are lighter in hair color & eye color tend to have a higher percentage of Eastern European than their black-haired counterparts. This sounds a little weird, but it's just my observance.

My ancestral regions picture link: https://ibb.co/eiK25J
My ethnicity estimate picture link: https://ibb.co/bNr75J

IAs you can see, we are in front of scandalous falsification by the anonymus author/s of this article of Wikipedia. What the authors of this book are trying to say is that there is no evidence of the arrival of the Slavs in Butrint, that the word Vagenetia is not derived from this Slavic tribe of Baiunetes.

The fact that not all scholars agree doesn't mean anything. First of all the Βαϊουνίται would have been pronounced Vajunite / Vaiunite in medieval Greek.

And Vagenetia would have been pronounced Vajenetia or at least Vaɣenetia. So, if it is a chance similarity it is a rather impressive one.

I don't really care, either way. I just saw that post now.

The fact that not all scholars agree doesn't mean anything. First of all the Βαϊουνίται would have been pronounced Vajunite / Vaiunite in medieval Greek.

And Vagenetia would have been pronounced Vajenetia or at least Vaɣenetia. So, if it is a chance similarity it is a rather impressive one.

I don't really care, either way. I just saw that post now.

This sounds like t-rolling.

Ok, so much conversation going on. I just got to know that Ancestry made updates for better results, and my results seem different ( not so much, but still ).

Different how???

Different how???

It says 100% Southern Europe ( Greece and the Balkans ). This region includes Albania, Greece, Kosovo & Macedonia. And Italy was added as a "Migration" region, claiming that my similarities with that region are because of a group of people "similar to me" who immigrated there some hundred years ago. This makes a lot of sense ( those who escaped the Ottomans ).

My mom made her Ancestry too, and she also scored 100% Southern Europe ( Greece and the Balkans ), but she had no Italy since her background is from northern Albania, and as far as i know, Arbereshe people were from the Southern part.

Screenshots of my ancestry attached below.

View attachment 10267View attachment 10268

No ! I took a Living dna test ... today I’ll upload my raw data in that website .. thank you very much !

Dibran.. your website does not accept my raw genetic data

If there is bullshit talk, this is it: "Their names look pretty Vlach to me. Orthodox. Whatever." What is this, Albanians have to be muslim to be Albanian!?

AncestryDNA algorithm is based on DNA matches. It may not be exactly reflective of the truth. If you're scoring 90 SE, then most likely you have Gheg ancestry. Ghegs are scoring between 80-90 SE.

I2a1b arrived with the Slavic tribes during the great migration in the early middle ages. Not sure about your MTDNA, other than it arrived with Indo-Europeans.

Also, theres no specific autosomal breakdown that makes one native over another. Admixture differs region to region depending on many factors throughout history.

I2a1b/R1a are more prevelant in central and southern Albania, and is most probably associated with the first wave of medieval Slavic tribes that settled there. Like Baiounitai tribe for instance. Early waves were assimilated into Byzantium. From there it could have been disseminated into Greek/Vlach/and Albanian. No way to no which route it took first.[/QUOTE-
+
Have you seen the DNA results in website "Gjenetika shqiptare''? A large sample of 182 Tosk Albanians shows 25% I haplogroup presence. Clearly Slavs have had an impact but I thing Goths who were there for 200 years have had also their own impact? My question is how much of Haplogroup I2a and R1a could have come with Goths?

I might be wrong, but according to what i have seen around i have come to a conclusion that Albanians who have extremely dark hair and dark brown eyes tend to have a higher percentage of Southern Europe and those who are lighter in hair color & eye color tend to have a higher percentage of Eastern European than their black-haired counterparts. This sounds a little weird, but it's just my observance.
Absolutely no correlation between.

My ancestral regions picture link: https://ibb.co/eiK25J
My ethnicity estimate picture link: https://ibb.co/bNr75J

Absolutely no correlation.

This thread has been viewed 38616 times.

Back