"Celtic" mtDNA in England

Weidocu

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Germano-Celtic
This is something I've been wondering for a while, and haven't been able to find anything about on this site so far - but what is the pre-Anglo-Saxon mtDNA contribution to the English? My gut tells me that it would be greater than the Y-DNA contribution (usually around 40-50%, depending on the region).

I'm going to make a few assumptions here:
1. There were probably less female Anglo-Saxon migrants than male, and definitely not more.
2. After the conquests were over there would be less Romano-British men remaining than women, but they still managed to contribute the aforementioned 40-50% of the Y-dna.
3. Y-DNA is more easily replaced than mtDNA (men having more children by different women quicker).

If what I've been reading here today is correct, the mtDNA of western Europe is more indigenous than the Y-DNA for the same reasons as above (more men migrating, more indigenous women than men remaining after the conquest, Y-DNA spreading faster). Could same apply to England and our mtDNA be more Romano-British than Anglo-Saxon?

I think my clade, J1c2, is Celtic, because there is a peak in J frequency in Wales according to the Eupedia map. The Eupedia J mtDna page lists J1c2 as occurring in the British Isles. And, finally, my J1c2 originates in Ireland in a Gaelic area; my great-great-grandmother's birth certificate was in English and Irish Gaelic. There was a tribe called the Deisi that was known to be in the area. There is a similar peak in Haplogroup K in west Wales and also the Highlands and Western Isles in Scotland, and a general above-average frequency in Ireland.

A curious question... mtdna H15 is also found among Celtic regions!!?

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

This thread has been viewed 3712 times.

Back