please classify him

evo6TW2.jpg
9PxFyOX.jpg

UyBBZqr.jpg

These are just a few villagers from Spoa, mainly from the Matangos, Sakellis, & Tsambounieri families. If accusations of cherrypicking are made, I will happily post more as there is an abundance of similar looking individuals. What I hope to accomplish here is to illustrate through volume that the original boy is not necessarily an outlier on the island.

@ Avarex the look seems pretty Midlle Eastern, with Indian and Arab admixture,

the most possible could be either a migration of Christians from the times of islamic expansion to what was seleykid empire
or even further East,
maybe a group of Greek intermarriages that return Back.
either a group that followed Knights/Templars to Dodecanese,
or even a newer devastation.

the possibility to be a pre-Greek pop is it checked?

@yetos, thank you for your response!

From what I known, these Karpathians far predate the 20th century population exchange, thus this look does not derive from hellenized anatolians nor gypsys,
Also the extent of them being early neolithic, pre-Greek is most likely insignificant.

can you please elaborate on where do you think they came from?

@yetos, thank you for your response!

From what I known, these Karpathians far predate the 20th century population exchange, thus this look does not derive from hellenized anatolians nor gypsys,
Also the extent of them being early neolithic, pre-Greek is most likely insignificant.

can you please elaborate on where do you think they came from?

if we exclude and we are certain that not pre-Greek population,
then the only possible is to be Hellenised population from Antique,
Christians from the areas that Islam expand, like Syrria or Turkey/Armenia/ Iraq or more far East or South.
there were migrations from Egypt Jordania and Syrria at 6-8th century,
For example mt Athos is the replacement of the Egyptian desert monks
the first monks were at Egypt, then Kappadokia, and then moved to Athos

if they are connected with Rhodos island,
they can also be populations that came with return of Crusaders,
or Knights, as υποστατικοι. (protected Servicing-support communities)

but better serch if they are ancient population,
especially their autosomals, they may even say how long time are in the area
they also have a look of S Caucasian areas.
do they use an endonym for their villages, or have they any special vocabulary?

They have an Anatolian phenotype also,
my mind is going either to pre-Mycenean era,
either the Byzantine era, from 7th century Ad till Matzikert 12th century,
there were moves of populations that era due to expand of Islam and Turks.
I mean they could also be from Killikia and moved West then times of Seljuks
but primary is an autosomal search so to exclude possible Neolithic population.

if we exclude and we are certain that not pre-Greek population,
then the only possible is to be Hellenised population from Antique,
Christians from the areas that Islam expand, like Syrria or Turkey/Armenia/ Iraq or more far East or South.
there were migrations from Egypt Jordania and Syrria at 6-8th century,
For example mt Athos is the replacement of the Egyptian desert monks
the first monks were at Egypt, then Kappadokia, and then moved to Athos

if they are connected with Rhodos island,
they can also be populations that came with return of Crusaders,
or Knights, as υποστατικοι.

but better serch if they are ancient population,
they also have a look of S Caucasian areas.

do they use an endonym for their villages, or have they any special vocabulary?

They do indeed have a special vocabulary. A word that comes to mind in particular is 'daraho', which seems to be a loanword from East Armenian & Syriac. The word is used in the phrase "to kako sou daraho", which may translate to "go fall off a hill/mountain" as the 'dara' translates to hill in Old Armenian. Spoa is also tucked in the mountains at a high altitude.

(For pictures at post #1 boy & girl)
For me they are both very "greek" and I am familiarized with
Both are very "Aegean" but I think that also you can find at Ionian also and mainland. Nothing strange for me at this pictures.
I would classify him as Mediterranid Armenoid at possible 70/30 or 80/20 and maybe few Iranoid; ~ 10<less;
As well for the girl also more or less the same. There is absent of the Alpine and Dinarid features to both.
They well fell to both sides of Aegean and very well to Cypriots.

And yes the girl is beauty (Paparizou like -Thessalian mare!)

(for fun)
I imagine and speculate that -the stock like- was present at Cyclades -maybe- and I imagine him -from the first pionners- to habitate the islands. Later he could be Hettite; or Lycian; or Kares; and yes, finally maybe he's not far from the first farmers of the region.

o2GN8Ur.png
488px-Athens_-_Sacred_Gate_kouros_01.jpg

That "amygdalon"-almond- shaped eyes and faces are very unigue and very common to Greece, Aegean and Anatolia.

(For pictures at post #1 boy & girl)
For me they are both very "greek" and I am familiarized with
Both are very "Aegean" but I think that also you can find at Ionian also and mainland. Nothing strange for me at this pictures.
I would classify him as Mediterranid Armenoid at possible 70/30 or 80/20 and maybe few Iranoid; ~ 10<less;
As well for the girl also more or less the same. There is absent of the Alpine and Dinarid features to both.
They well fell to both sides of Aegean and very well to Cypriots.

I imagine and speculate that -the stock like- was present at Cyclades -maybe- and I imagine him -from the first pionners- to habitate the islands. Later he could be Hettite; or Lycian; or Kares; and yes, finally maybe he's not far from the first farmers of the region.

o2GN8Ur.png

That "amygdalon"-almond- shaped eyes and faces are very unigue and very common to Greece, Aegean and Anatolia.

1. I think the cromagnon type people entered the Greece at bronze age and mixed with local farmers. I think we need their gene next time from Harvard.

I have located the text of George Panagiaris important 1993 doctoral thesis on Greek skeletal material. This may be one of the most comprehensive efforts to study the Ancient Greek population from a physical anthropological perspective (413 male and 354 female crania, using 65 biometric characters as well odontological traits).

Panagiaris' conclusions in English can be found in p.10 of the document. He confirms that the greater period of discontinuity in the material is observed during the Helladic period (=Bronze Age in Greek archaeology), where broad-headed incoming groups appear, side by side with the older Mediterranean population. He attributes this to the arrival of such people from the highlands Pindos range, although he sees the possibility of Anatolian influences as well, but has no comparative data. He cites the tendency for broader skulls in higher latitudes, although this general trend in H. sapiens probably does not explain the local trend within Caucasoids where the key difference is between mountaineers (where the Alpine, Dinaric, Armenoid, and Pamir-Ferghana types are well-represented) and lowland folk. Perhaps, if various ancient DNA projects manage to study some Greek material we may be able to ascertain the events that were taking place in Greece at that time.
http://dienekes.blogspot.ca/2012/07/a-physico-anthropological-study-of.html
brace-2.jpg

2. As I already said in the other thread, I think this type of people already disappeared in East Europe since bronze age by mixing. See the first one is yamna/afanasievo type, and second one is the Pamir-Ferghana types (or Andronovo). I think the new people might bring the almond eyes. I posted ancient people with big almond eyes several times.

2-2.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Personally I believe that they might be an early Neolithic population,
But Avarex is certain that this possibility is insignificant.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 20334 times.

Back