N1a but yet 90%SSA autosomal

Sethgriffi

Reaction score
Anyone have any insight on being mtdna N1a but yet have 90% autosomal Sub-Saharan African results.

Potentially that at some point in your lineage, your mom's maternal ancestors lived in NE Africa or the Near East.

Or, what's the other 10% autosomally?

There were contacts all around Indian Ocean since far in Antiquity, by land and by sea. Probably someone took a wive in India or Middle East and ended up somewhere between Nubia and Zanzibar. Even if there never was a massive movement of population, women can be surprisingly mobile over the generations.

Again, a lot of possibilities. It's possible that it got into the genetic pool in eastern Africa and then to western Africa, and then to America.

It's also possible that like Professor Gates you have both a European yDna and mtDna, although in his case, I believe he's somewhere about 25% of European descent. If I remember correctly, his y is a sub-clade of an Irish R1b, so probably through an overseer.

"N1a is a rare haplogroup that currently appears in only 0.2% of European populations.[5] Pockets of higher frequencies exist such as in Croatia where 0.7% of mainland Croatians,[18] 9.24% of the population on the island of Cres,[19] and 1.9% of the population on the island of Brač are members of N1a. In the Volga-Ural region of Russia, N1a is most prominent in the Komi-Permyaks (9.5%) followed by the Bashkirs (3.6%), Chuvash (1.8%), and Tatars (0.4%).[20] Russia as a whole has a frequency of 0.7%.[21]
A study of 542 individuals in Portugal found an N1a frequency of 0.37%. Only 0.11% of individuals analyzed in Scotland were members of the haplogroup.[22]"

"
Relatively high frequencies of N1a are found in the modern population of Saudi Arabia. Estimates range from 2.4%[15] to 4%.[16] Regional analysis revealed that the haplogroup was most common in the center of the country. Haplotype diversity is noted for being higher here than elsewhere.[4]

Frequencies of N1a in Yemen are relatively high, with estimates varying by study: 3.6%,[15] 5.2%,[17] and 6.9%.[16] Yemen is noted for high haplotype diversity within the population.[4][17]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_N1a_(mtDNA)

Edit: This is about his yDna. I can't find anything about his mtDna but my best recollection is that it was also European.

The oldest Gates that we can trace through genealogical records, through a paper trail, was named Jane Gates. She was a slave. She was born in about 1819 and died on Jan. 6, 1888. She was a nurse and a laundress. And she is my great-great grandmother. I keep a photograph of her hanging on the wall in my kitchen, right next to our family tree. Jane had five children, one of whom was named Edward Gates, also born in slavery, in 1857; he was my great grandfather. We have photographs of him, and unlike Jane, he looks like a white man. Either Jane refused to tell her children the name of their father, right up to her dying day, or the children refused to disclose their father's identity. She only told them (they all look alike, by the way), that they had the same daddy. But she took his name and his identity with her to the grave.

Hoping to help solve this troubling mystery—family legend had it that the father of Jane's children was a slave owner outside of Cumberland, Md., named Samuel Brady—I had my y-DNA tested. The results astonished everyone, including me: My y-DNA haplotype is R1b1b2ala2f2, also known as "the Ui Neil Haplotype."

https://www.theroot.com/whos-your-irish-daddy-1790878934

Is it just possible to not be black with 90% of autosomal dna coming from SSA ?

^^I don't understand the question.

Do you mean is it possible to be 90% SSA and not "look it"? I doubt it.

When you get to 25 or 30 percent it would depend on the pigmentation snps and facial features, hair features, etc. inherited. It could differ even within a family.

There's a very interesting biography about an intellectual of the sixties named Anatole Broyard, who "passed" for most of his adult life. He was a "colored Creole" from New Orleans by ancestry. When they moved north for work, his parents passed for "white" to get work, but maintained their "black" identity in their private, social lives. He didn't. He denied strenuously that he had African ancestry, up until he was on his death bed.

I don't want to seem to be "judging" him. It was terrible in many ways living as an African-American in those years and even worse before then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatole_Broyard

This is the book his daughter wrote:

One Drop: My father's hidden life
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/books/review/Johnson-t.html

anatole-broyard-5.jpg

This is the New Orleans family he left behind. His daughter is in the center, back row.
mixed%20broyard.JPG

His sister, interestingly enough, was married to a civil rights leader. She never "outed" him.
broyard.ayiko.gif

^^I don't understand the question.

Do you mean is it possible to be 90% SSA and not "look it"? I doubt it.

When you get to 25 or 30 percent it would depend on the pigmentation snps and facial features, hair features, etc. inherited. It could differ even within a family.

There's a very interesting biography about an intellectual of the sixties named Anatole Broyard, who "passed" for most of his adult life. He was a "colored Creole" from New Orleans by ancestry. When they moved north for work, his parents passed for "white" to get work, but maintained their "black" identity in their private, social lives. He didn't. He denied strenuously that he had African ancestry, up until he was on his death bed.

I don't want to seem to be "judging" him. It was terrible in many ways living as an African-American in those years and even worse before then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatole_Broyard

This is the book his daughter wrote:

One Drop: My father's hidden life
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/books/review/Johnson-t.html

anatole-broyard-5.jpg

This is the New Orleans family he left behind. His daughter is in the center, back row.
mixed%20broyard.JPG

His sister, interestingly enough, was married to a civil rights leader. She never "outed" him.
broyard.ayiko.gif
I think i misunderstood the question of the original poster. And yes, i was saying, is it possible to be white and 90% SSA ? If i have a pure african Black father and a pure european White mother, shouldn't i be 50% / 50% autosomally speaking ? or this is completely irrelevent ?

If you have SSA and white ancestry, you're a mix of white and SSA. You're partially white and partially SSA.

You inherit half of mom and pop. If your father is SSA and your mother is white, you are half SSA half white autosomally.

N1a but yet 90SSA autosomal

Well him and I have not experienced bondage in person with each other yet. He has seen photos of me but thats it. But I am sure the both of us will have a fun time when the time comes.

This thread has been viewed 9845 times.

Back