Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauteville View Post
    Already you can see the genetic cline north-south Italy. Anyway the Sicilian BBs plot close of modern-day Sicilians kinda like Myceneans.
    Someone told me it's being discussed on Eurogenes. As usual, what's posted there on Italian genetics is usually less than convincing, shall we say.

Some good posters still on there occasionally, though why I have no idea.

"Roy King said...Nice!
    The Sicilian BB sample already has IranNeo influence prior to the Minoan/Mycenaean/Archaic Greek/Phoenician possible migrations. Clearly, with the arrival of IE languages there is an increase in Yamnaya admixture. My guess is that there was a metal-searching movement to Sicily and/or Sardinia in the 3rd millennium BCE."

Roy King also posted somewhere:

"Focusing on the Eastern Mediterranean and Aegean areas: The late Neolithic Peloponnese samples are shifted toward BA Anatolia and Chalcolithic Anatolia with presumptive CHG input. The earlier Neolithic sample from the Peloponnese aligns with the early Greek Neolithic samples. The later samples are about 4000 BCE in dating and also cluster with Minoan Crete samples. The one Minoan--I9130--who is G2a in Y chromosome looks like the Early Greek Neolithic samples; the rest cluster with the late Peloponnese and the late Anatolian (Chalcolthic/BA) samples. The data strongly suggest a movement circa 4000 BCE from Anatolia to mainland Greece, perhaps associated with J2a1 and the pre-Greek substrate languages (-ss- and -nth1 toponyms)"

So, this kind of ancestry probably started arriving in Europe even before the 3rd millennium BC. We won't know whether, when, and how much of it reached Sicily until we get some ancient dna from there, but if these "models" are at all accurate, it might have been there since before the times of the Beakers.

With the arrival of those "Mycenaean" like genomes, that would have increased.

From some more of the intelligent, objective posters there:

"Alberto said...

I'm not getting any steppe admixture in that Sicilian BB, even including other Bell Beakers in the source. Instead I get:

Beaker_Sicily:I4930
    Anatolia_ChL 45.4%
    Balkans_N 35%
    Iberia_Central_CA 10.25%
    Balaton_Lasinja_CA 5.35%
    Malak_Preslavets 2.5%
    Vinca_MN 1.45%
    LBK_EN_Austria 0.05%"

Matt:
    "From visual analysis, it looks like to get to Sicilians, the easiest ancient model is Mycenaean+Central_European (though this may or may not be most historically and linguistically sensible). For Balkans it's Mycenaean+Slavic. The Balkans BA populations don't seem quite right as ancestral without extensive Anatolia_BA like ancestry.

To get to the Mycenaeans themselves, it seems like Tepecik_Ciftlik+Balkans_BA or Anatolia_BA+Balkans_BA either work, depending on whether we pick more or less Anatolian-like Balkans_BA."

I'm not sure it would make sense to model Sicilians as Sicilian Beaker plus whatever. Beakers were only in one part of the island, plus this particular sample looks like it was an early mix. I have no idea what the rest of the island would have looked like genomically in the mid 3rd century BC or even earlier.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Moderator Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Someone told me it's being discussed on Eurogenes. As usual, what's posted there on Italian genetics is usually less than convincing, shall we say.
    Every day that passes Eurogenes loses more and more credibility.

Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Alberto at Eurogenes, is modeling one of the R1b-312 Bell beakers in north Italy as:

Beaker_Northern_Italy:I2478
    Iberia_Southwest_CA 51.05%
    Yamnaya_Kalmykia 33%
    Tisza_LN 12.95%
    Armenia_ChL 2.9%
    Ireland_MN 0.1%

It looks like he is using the added individual in Olalde paper to model that later BB in italy. All other Portugal samples there are stated as Bell Beakers. None of those are!
    Now, added I6601 is different. Olalde call it SW_Iberia_CA. However, having 2800bc-2600bc, was the only one that "meet" or was part of the people making those pots.
    Bolores individuals were buried with care, with blades, beads, etc. Sort of an elite. Bolores is in the sizandro river that flows from Zambujal (place with the most bell beakers pots) to the sea. A region completely dominated by Zambujal people.

http://tp.revistas.csic.es/index.php/tp/article/view/680/703

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Olympus Mons View Post
    Alberto at Eurogenes, is modeling one of the R1b-312 Bell beakers in north Italy as:

Beaker_Northern_Italy:I2478
    Iberia_Southwest_CA 51.05%
    Yamnaya_Kalmykia 33%
    Tisza_LN 12.95%
    Armenia_ChL 2.9%
    Ireland_MN 0.1%

It looks like he is using the added individual in Olalde paper to model that later BB in italy. All other Portugal samples there are stated as Bell Beakers. None of those are!
    Now, added I6601 is different. Olalde call it SW_Iberia_CA. However, having 2800bc-2600bc, was the only one that "meet" or was part of the people making those pots.
    Bolores individuals were buried with care, with blades, beads, etc. Sort of an elite. Bolores is in the sizandro river that flows from Zambujal (place with the most bell beakers pots) to the sea. A region completely dominated by Zambujal people.

http://tp.revistas.csic.es/index.php/tp/article/view/680/703
    Sorry, delete

Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Quote Originally Posted by MOESAN View Post
    All the way, it seems these BB supposed "initiators" you cites with good reasons, found place in specific quarters of Chalco strongholds in Iberia, after some centuries; it seems to me that after some isolationism they were progressively integrated or at least accepted among other Chalco culture, and this could be the beginning of a spread of their artefact----variation + maybe chronologic evolution in auDNA making and in mtDNA.
    I repeat: we don't know all about BB phenomenon and evolution...

As you can see, if I reserve my jugement concerning SHulaveri culture (I'm weak in archeol), I'm not in complete opposition to your theory of Portugal as a source; but I 'm still unsure of remote origins of BB, i'm tempted to see in somewhere in East or South-East.
    Moesan,
    Shulaveri Shomu will break my heart of they don’t turn out to be something real special. Now the Bell Beakers people from Portugal, either R1b or other, won’t really kill me.
    For now we have Shulaveri mtdna H15, H2a and I1… not typical of the region at all.
    Now, I don’t think they are the origin of BB. Just say that M269, L23 was born there! And when they disappear (4900BC) they went north Caucasus and steppe. They went west as one sees in KUM6, and even back to Balkans (where I think they came from in the 6300bc).
    Crazy , Crazy is me thinking that they formed Merimde beni salama and El-omari in Egypt. They follow “cousins” R1b-V88 that already were in Fayum . But much more crazy is me thinking that they follow their cattle to jump into Iberia in 3800-3300bc. --- And if they were the L23, already L51…then they would be the origin of Bell beakers. Crazy I know.

Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 380
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Hauteville View Post
    Already you can see the genetic cline north-south Italy. Anyway the Sicilian BBs plot close of modern-day Sicilians kinda like Myceneans.
    Do you think the Parma sample (I2478) is close to modern North Italians or even Tuscans?

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vallicanus View Post
    Do you think the Parma sample (I2478) is close to modern North Italians or even Tuscans?
    Hopefully, Hauteville will respond, but in the meantime you can look at posts 5 and 6 on this thread. There are three Bell Beaker samples from Parma. One is still very Sardinian like, i.e. late Neolithic, early Chalcolithic like, and plots there.

I always have difficulty when the modern populations aren't labeled, but it seems to me that one plots among Spaniards, and one sort of in no man's land by itself, so, close to Northern Italians, perhaps, but needing both more Yamnaya and more CHG?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234