Advisor
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
BATH, ENGLAND—The Bath Echo reports that a small section of mosaic flooring dating to the first century A.D. has been uncovered in the threshold of a room in the Roman bathing complex in Bath. The small, cream-colored tiles were made from local stone. “It shows that right from its inception the Roman Baths was furnished with all the trappings of a very fine establishment,” said Stephen Clews, manager of the Roman Baths. The flooring was discovered during an excavation that will extend the area of the site that is open to the public. For more on Roman England, go to “Tablet Time.”

https://www.archaeology.org/news/6390-180221-england-roman-bath

BATH, ENGLAND—The Bath Echo reports that a small section of mosaic flooring dating to the first century A.D. has been uncovered in the threshold of a room in the Roman bathing complex in Bath. The small, cream-colored tiles were made from local stone. “It shows that right from its inception the Roman Baths was furnished with all the trappings of a very fine establishment,” said Stephen Clews, manager of the Roman Baths. The flooring was discovered during an excavation that will extend the area of the site that is open to the public. For more on Roman England, go to “Tablet Time.”

https://www.archaeology.org/news/6390-180221-england-roman-bath

Bath is a very important stop in my bucket list tour of England, not only for its extensive Roman ruins, but for its associations with Jane Austen's novels, and other fiction of the Regency period, I must confess. :)

They were truly obsessed with "Baths", the Romans, almost like the Japanese. :) Any settlement of practically any size at all had one, but the ones at "Bath" in England were really magnificent. Sad that barely a half century after the final withdrawal of Roman troops most people were back to going months without bathing.

Speaking of which, nice avatar. Since your ancestors were undoubtedly part of the Roman legions, it's very apt.

bath2.jpg

Bath is a very important stop in my bucket list tour of England, not only for its extensive Roman ruins...

It's a shame the comparatively poor building materials, endless rain and waves of violence-precipitating migrations/invasions have led to the gradual loss of Roman architecture in England and Wales over the last 1,600 years. I know a few wonder why Britain doesn't really have a surviving grand amphitheatre or theatre like those of Italy, Southern France, Spain or North Africa, but there are some pleasant villas (Chedworth, Lullingstone, Fishbourne) and the forts of Hadrian's Wall are pretty cool. Portchester Castle is an interesting visit, not least because of the way in which the Roman walls marry with the Norman keep as representations of two hugely important conquests of this island!

It's a shame the comparatively poor building materials, endless rain and waves of violence-precipitating migrations/invasions have led to the gradual loss of Roman architecture in England and Wales over the last 1,600 years. I know a few wonder why Britain doesn't really have a surviving grand amphitheatre or theatre like those of Italy, Southern France, Spain or North Africa, but there are some pleasant villas (Chedworth, Lullingstone, Fishbourne) and the forts of Hadrian's Wall are pretty cool. Portchester Castle is an interesting visit, not least because of the way in which the Roman walls marry with the Norman keep as representations of two hugely important conquests of this island!

I do want to see whatever is left of the Roman walls, so that will go on the list too.

I'm using the Oxford Guide to Literary Britain, plus a history or two, so my list gets longer all the time. I'm going to have to stay at least a month! :)

This thread has been viewed 4305 times.

Back