Overall activity: 99.3%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Early Roman Mosaic Flooring Uncovered in Bath

BATH, ENGLAND—The Bath Echo reports that a small section of mosaic flooring dating to the first century A.D. has been uncovered in the threshold of a room in the Roman bathing complex in Bath. The small, cream-colored tiles were made from local stone. “It shows that right from its inception the Roman Baths was furnished with all the trappings of a very fine establishment,” said Stephen Clews, manager of the Roman Baths. The flooring was discovered during an excavation that will extend the area of the site that is open to the public. For more on Roman England, go to “Tablet Time.”

https://www.archaeology.org/news/639...and-roman-bath
    There can be no covenants between men and lions

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    BATH, ENGLAND—The Bath Echo reports that a small section of mosaic flooring dating to the first century A.D. has been uncovered in the threshold of a room in the Roman bathing complex in Bath. The small, cream-colored tiles were made from local stone. “It shows that right from its inception the Roman Baths was furnished with all the trappings of a very fine establishment,” said Stephen Clews, manager of the Roman Baths. The flooring was discovered during an excavation that will extend the area of the site that is open to the public. For more on Roman England, go to “Tablet Time.”

https://www.archaeology.org/news/639...and-roman-bath
    Bath is a very important stop in my bucket list tour of England, not only for its extensive Roman ruins, but for its associations with Jane Austen's novels, and other fiction of the Regency period, I must confess. :)

They were truly obsessed with "Baths", the Romans, almost like the Japanese. :) Any settlement of practically any size at all had one, but the ones at "Bath" in England were really magnificent. Sad that barely a half century after the final withdrawal of Roman troops most people were back to going months without bathing.

Speaking of which, nice avatar. Since your ancestors were undoubtedly part of the Roman legions, it's very apt.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Overall activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Bath is a very important stop in my bucket list tour of England, not only for its extensive Roman ruins...
    It's a shame the comparatively poor building materials, endless rain and waves of violence-precipitating migrations/invasions have led to the gradual loss of Roman architecture in England and Wales over the last 1,600 years. I know a few wonder why Britain doesn't really have a surviving grand amphitheatre or theatre like those of Italy, Southern France, Spain or North Africa, but there are some pleasant villas (Chedworth, Lullingstone, Fishbourne) and the forts of Hadrian's Wall are pretty cool. Portchester Castle is an interesting visit, not least because of the way in which the Roman walls marry with the Norman keep as representations of two hugely important conquests of this island!

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
    It's a shame the comparatively poor building materials, endless rain and waves of violence-precipitating migrations/invasions have led to the gradual loss of Roman architecture in England and Wales over the last 1,600 years. I know a few wonder why Britain doesn't really have a surviving grand amphitheatre or theatre like those of Italy, Southern France, Spain or North Africa, but there are some pleasant villas (Chedworth, Lullingstone, Fishbourne) and the forts of Hadrian's Wall are pretty cool. Portchester Castle is an interesting visit, not least because of the way in which the Roman walls marry with the Norman keep as representations of two hugely important conquests of this island!
    I do want to see whatever is left of the Roman walls, so that will go on the list too.

I'm using the Oxford Guide to Literary Britain, plus a history or two, so my list gets longer all the time. I'm going to have to stay at least a month! :)

Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Level
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,409
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

Early Roman Mosaic Flooring Uncovered in Bath

A partial rendering of a Pompei Fresco. If it’s accurate and the man in the painting is a local, is really interesting.

Attachment 10023
    Attachment 10024
    But you oh Messapo, Tamer of Horses ... that no one, with neither iron nor fire can break down! “Virgil”